mtbr member
    Apr 2006

adaptalite glasses for night riding???

Looking for glasses for night riding I am not sure if spe. adaptalite ones would work great or wouldn´t be clear enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've used mine for night riding before, but only because I forgot my clear glasses. It wasn't too bad (only made it slightly darker) but you'd be better off with clear/yellow glasses. Specialized don't recommend it IIRC.

mtbr member
    I've rode withg mine at night too. It is slightly darker, but at least it keeps your eyes protected. I would agree that clear ones are better.

Does anyone make a set that is totaly clear when dark out and darkens for day riding?

mtbr member
    Well, I have Transitions eyeglasses for my prescription glasses, and I have tried various adaptations of this style from many companies (including the newest from Specialized) and I have learned one thing; making one thing do two things usually means you end up doing both poorly.

How is that? Well, you get weird issues like your hat, or helmet visor, shading the lens and it lightens up. And, if that isn't bad enough, it can lighten up unevenly so you get a dark streak for a third or 50% of the lens, while the rest is fairly clear. When you wear them in a covered environment they tend to not activate (such as driving) and you get blinded by reflections that a normal tinted/mirrored/polarized lens would have filtered. They also tend to not work well with glare as you don't get them mirrored (to reflect off-axis light) since this would negate the transition portion, and you rarely find them polarized. Also, the version designed as a full-on sunglass lens usually starts off too light to get dark, or not clear enough to get really dark (as in your question).

My suggestion is to get a set of Oakley Radar (or Half Jacket) with that trick "hydrophobic" lens. I got a set at a race recently and they are simply amazing with mud, sweat, water, and oil among other things that get on them. I just switch out the lens and get dialed in for whatever the ride. Make sure to get a lens that covers enough of your face; I got a nice lens that's a little too short for me but it's a bit expensive to get more.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Tifossi makes some that come with 3 lenses, red, dark, and clear. They are dirt cheap, fit well and are descent optical quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgodnooo!
    Tifossi makes some that come with 3 lenses, red, dark, and clear. They are dirt cheap, fit well and are descent optical quality.
    Hey, I forgot about those. I have two pairs of them; one like an M-Frame and one with a full frame. The M-Frame (shield) style worked fine, but then the "ear socks" started coming off and I couldn't keep them on. I have been using the other set for around 2 years, and was using them at the race right up until I got the Radar. I didn't think to include them because of the dollar range of the original optics considered, but they are pretty good and easy to find.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert