NONDURO

Acquired a 2007 Specialized S-Works Epic frame - worthwhile building it up?

OK, so I got the frame for free from a friend of mine. It had been sitting around since 2010, which was when he managed to nail it into a guardrail, causing a very hairline crack in the side of the top tube. I am certain that a Mr. Craig Calfee (in Watsonville, California) can fix it, but it looks as though the rear suspension components are typical proprietary in nature– I need the thing that mounts the rear shock in back and on the upper swingarm position. Are these parts still even available??? (I have the swingarm linkage but lack the thing that mounts the shock to the frame triangles) Ironically, I live a mere 20 minute drive away from the Specialized headquarters in Morgan Hill, California, I’d like to think that I could just drive over there and get hooked up– but at what cost???

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Should I just go and drink more beer and forget about it???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Anyone? This is The Specialized subforum. Am I wasting my time here? If this were the Surly– or let’s say, the On-One subforum, for example, I’d have at least had a few “dude, you’re a f**king moron for asking that question here” sort of replies, or something along the lines of, “dude, you’re not drunk enough to understand that we are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude” sorts of responses. Discuss. I’m on the fence about just selling this frame to some meth-toothed homeless loser for $200 who will just go and buy more meth and steal more bikes.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sell it to a tweeker Correct me if im wrong but I heard Spech wasn't servicing old brain shocks anymore.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Anyone? This is The Specialized subforum. Am I wasting my time here? If this were the Surly– or let’s say, the On-One subforum, for example, I’d have at least had a few “dude, you’re a f**king moron for asking that question here” sort of replies, or something along the lines of, “dude, you’re not drunk enough to understand that we are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude” sorts of responses. Discuss. I’m on the fence about just selling this frame to some meth-toothed homeless loser for $200 who will just go and buy more meth and steal more bikes.
    Demanding a response will get you everywhere on this forum.

That said, you see the rear triangle parts on ebay once in a while. Or find an old frame and steal them off.

mtbr member
    If the frame is fixable, take it to a loacal specialized dealer and they can look up the parts needed and see if they are available. I was able to help a buddy rebuild a 2003 SJ FSR that way.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Manual with parts list is here

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    Manual with parts list is here
    Thanks! That helped. Looks like I might be building up a ghost which won’t be future-proof, should I venture down this path of obsolete technology. Much appreciated.