mtbr member
    Aug 2011

9mm end caps for Control SL wheels

I have a 2013 Roval Control SL front wheel with the OS28 QR end caps. My fork is a QR fork. I was looking for the endcaps to run a 9mm rws axle but my bike shop says that those don't exist. I have the 15mm end caps if I ever want to go that route in the future, but for me it's not worth changing the fork lowers at this time.

Does anybody know anything more about this? Is this true that I can not get the 9mm rws end caps for this wheel? If anyone knows where to get them, please let me know. TIA!

mtbr member
    Have your Spec dealer look up these end caps: S125900009 For LFM11 front hub, 24mm diameter, QR (for Fox forks).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will it still work with a Reba fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yes, but not 9mm rws....i dont believe those exist. for a fox fork you need the 24mm endcaps, the 28mm endcaps will not work.

mtbr member
    I had a machine shop drill out my OS28 Caps to work with the 9mm RWS. I couldnt find any other option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I had a machine shop drill out my OS28 Caps to work with the 9mm RWS. I couldnt find any other option.
    I hadn't thought of doing that! I will have to look into it.

mtbr member
    It took them only a few minutes too. I gave them the RWS skewer and asked them to make it fit thru the caps. It came out perfect and they didnt even charge me. You could probably do it your self with a vise and a sharp drill bit. That aluminum caps are pretty soft and easy to drill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did the same and gave it to a mechanical engineer that I work with and he put it on the lathe and drilled em out.

It looks like the shell is only a little more than 2mm wide that will be sitting on the thru-bolt. There is a little bit of play in the caps and the thru bolt, but when I hold it flush against the thru bolt (as if it is flush in the hub) there isn't hardly any play at all. I guess I will see how it works tonight.

The thing that I like the most about the RWS is that it doesn't loosen up over time and feels like it has more clamping force than a skewer.

The stock QR skewer feels pretty crappy and after a ride doesn't feel very tight. I was supposed to get a Ti skewer with my Roval SL wheels and with this skewer at 52 grams and the lever being magnetic I don't think it is. The 9mm thru bolt is 56 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    With the caps drilled out for the 9mm thru bolt it feels as if there is a slight rattle/wiggle bouncing the wheel up and down and side to side when standing still. Maybe it was there before with the QR and I didn't notice it because I wasn't looking for it. However, I took some hard sharp turns on asphalt and never heard a rotor "zing" or felt anything that didn't report back as stiff.

Seems like it is good to go. I'll see how it does on dirt.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Have your Spec dealer look up these end caps: S125900009 For LFM11 front hub, 24mm diameter, QR (for Fox forks).
    I'm in the same boat, but have just the Roval Control wheels with the 28mm Rock Shox end caps. (Specialized Bicycle Components) . Ebay acquisition, toasted the rear hub/rim on the OEM wheelset.

Went to LBS yesterday to get 24mm end caps for the Fox fork on my 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert - they did not find the part number.

I assume this part would be the same - though the hub drilling and material differs between the SL and regular Control wheels.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    I'm in the same boat, but have just the Roval Control wheels with the 28mm Rock Shox end caps. (Specialized Bicycle Components) . Ebay acquisition, toasted the rear hub/rim on the OEM wheelset.

Went to LBS yesterday to get 24mm end caps for the Fox fork on my 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert - they did not find the part number.

I assume this part would be the same - though the hub drilling and material differs between the SL and regular Control wheels.
    Ok - not the same part number, but the part number listed above produced a good result in Google.

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...ice-kit-rA.pdf

Page 7 has all the info I need.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin