FEF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

'98 FSR (Ground Control) Elite

Greetings,

I've been lurking for years, but now I find myself in need of some advice.

I have a '98 FSR (Ground Control) Elite that I've beat the snot out of. I'm about 5'11" and was about 210-215 in my prime (more then a few years ago), but now a larger (and out of shape) 235-240lbs. It's long over due for some bearings, at the very least, and that's where I could use advice.

When pedaling hard, I hear some creaking that I'm pretty sure is lateral movement in the rear suspension, but it could be a combination of that and the crank system. I thought I'd start at the rear, since I know I need bearings anyway. I have 2 options:
    - Pull out the bearings or sleeves that are in there now, measure them, and find replacements.
    - Order the kit from Betd.

If I have the vocabulary correct, there's bearings for the linkage, A-links, and main pivot. Since I'm not likely to see the hard DH stuff I did before, is the Betd bearings/upgrades over-kill? It's true that $200 at Betd gets the whole deal sent to me, and it will last the rest of my life (and maybe my grand-kids). But again, is it over-kill? I haven't dug into it yet, but I'm thinking that I might be able to find replacement stock like bearings at McMaster-Carr. Anyone tried that?

If I save a buck or two, maybe I could weld on tabs for disc brakes.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FEF View Post
    Greetings,

I've been lurking for years, but now I find myself in need of some advice.

I have a '98 FSR (Ground Control) Elite that I've beat the snot out of. I'm about 5'11" and was about 210-215 in my prime (more then a few years ago), but now a larger (and out of shape) 235-240lbs. It's long over due for some bearings, at the very least, and that's where I could use advice.

When pedaling hard, I hear some creaking that I'm pretty sure is lateral movement in the rear suspension, but it could be a combination of that and the crank system. I thought I'd start at the rear, since I know I need bearings anyway. I have 2 options:
    - Pull out the bearings or sleeves that are in there now, measure them, and find replacements.
    - Order the kit from Betd.

If I have the vocabulary correct, there's bearings for the linkage, A-links, and main pivot. Since I'm not likely to see the hard DH stuff I did before, is the Betd bearings/upgrades over-kill? It's true that $200 at Betd gets the whole deal sent to me, and it will last the rest of my life (and maybe my grand-kids). But again, is it over-kill? I haven't dug into it yet, but I'm thinking that I might be able to find replacement stock like bearings at McMaster-Carr. Anyone tried that?

If I save a buck or two, maybe I could weld on tabs for disc brakes.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
    The BETD bearing kit will not last a lifetime but will give you a few more good years. The only negative is that they are super smooth and will cause the bike to bob a bit more. I don't know if the old Specialized bushes are still available or not. Something tells me not.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

FEF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The BETD bearing kit will not last a lifetime but will give you a few more good years. The only negative is that they are super smooth and will cause the bike to bob a bit more. I don't know if the old Specialized bushes are still available or not. Something tells me not.
    I'm going to dig into it and try to find bearings from someplace like McMaster-Carr. Is there any interest in old bikes like this? Would it be of any interest for me to post my findings here, or in the classic section?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd be interested in your findings, as I have just acquired a 98 Fsr ground control.

FEF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cool.

I know they're old and a bit heavy but I like them. Maybe, because I'm old and heavy.

I'm still playing with the front shocks, too. I'll know more after I get them done.

mtbr member
    Way to rock the old Ground Control FSR's. i love my 98 GC FSR Comp, but would love the USA handbuilt Max Backbone frame as your Elite is. If you know of any being sold let me know please. (17" Medium Frame)

Thanks, Enjoy