TNC
    noMAD man

90 degree shock valve on DHX?

Pertaining to the standard DHX shock fitting into an Enduro frame, I asked this question earlier but had no opinions. I'm curious as to why a 90 degree schrader valve wouldn't fit into a DHX piggyback. The one that is on the standard DHX looks like a normal bolt-in schrader valve with o-ring setup. This would appear to allow fitment of a standard off-the-shelf DHX into an Enduro or SX and retain the ability to access the boost valve tuning. The boost valve chamber size adjuster would still be assessible. Here's a pic of the standard DHX with its valve. Maybe Jake Wake or others could comment? Have any of you seen the 90 degree valve that I'm speaking of? I've seen shocks with this setup in the past.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sound like a good idea , as long as they can put the "volume adjut" (big blue knob) on the shock before they put the valve when they build the it . I don't see why they counld not . Do you have a pic. of that valve to show ?

TNC
    noMAD man

No pic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Taro
    Sound like a good idea , as long as they can put the "volume adjut" (big blue knob) on the shock before they put the valve when they build the it . I don't see why they counld not . Do you have a pic. of that valve to show ?
    I'm still looking. Actually had/have one around somewhere but haven't found it. On that blue volume adjuster collar, you don't really have to have that on there for the shock to work or be able to adjust it. That schrader valve just screws into the piggyback body, so it's not something that Fox would necessarily have to do. That blue collar is just there to ease in-the-field tuning of the boost chamber volume. Some have removed it completely for a clearance issue with no problems. In fact there's a nut-like protrusion on the end of the piggyback where that schrader valve goes that you can turn with a wrench that adjusts boost chamber volume. It's not as complicated as it looks as far as that collar, schrader valve, and adjuster nut is concerned.

I'm really tempted to pull the schrader out of that 8.5 X 2.5 DHX coil in the pic to see if it's a conventionally threaded schrader valve. We have a base model '06 Enduro on the floor that has the same dimension DHX Air shock on it, and I could try to fit this setup into that bike...if I could find that 90 degree valve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you switch the DHX air with a coil , let us know the result , it looks like the piggyback assembly on the coil is longer (connection between piggyback and body as a steeper angle on the coil ).

TNC
    noMAD man

Hopefully work on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Taro
    If you switch the DHX air with a coil , let us know the result , it looks like the piggyback assembly on the coil is longer (connection between piggyback and body as a steeper angle on the coil ).
    I have a DHX Air too, and it looks like the same 90 degree deal might work on it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Pic of the valve.

OK, I found the valve. Here it is installed in an old air shock. It can be positioned any way you need off of that 90 degree bend. I believe either Cane Creek or Risse was the source. I've used this in a couple of other shocks that had been installed on an old '99 Enduro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sweet , post a pic of the DHX as soon as you put on the bike to see the clearance .

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Close

I've had a look on my S-works, It's going to be a very very close fit. Good Luck. Patent it now if it does work

I throw poo
    Do you know where I can get one of those valves? My life would be so much easier if I has one on my shock. I think I saw somthing similer in one of the interbike pics.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

TNC
    noMAD man

Cane Creek & Risse

Quote Originally Posted by lovemonkey
    Do you know where I can get one of those valves? My life would be so much easier if I has one on my shock. I think I saw somthing similer in one of the interbike pics.
    I'm fairly positive that both of these companies have these valves. I doubt it's even made by them, as it's not really a proprietary part.