Thread: 9 speed upgrade

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

9 speed upgrade

Would a 9speed hub work on a 2009 19" specialized hardrock disc? it came stock with a 7speed hub.
    keep it clear - make it funky

banned
    Apr 2010
    Not on the 19' frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    By 9 speed hub I assume you mean a 9 speed cassette. If so then it won't work. I have a 19" 2009 Hardrock. The stock 7 speed cassette uses a freewheel design hub. To use a 9 speed cassette you need a rear wheel with a freehub design.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Not on the 19' frames.

do you know if an 8 speed would work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tgonzo182
    By 9 speed hub I assume you mean a 9 speed cassette. If so then it won't work. I have a 19" 2009 Hardrock. The stock 7 speed cassette uses a freewheel design hub. To use a 9 speed cassette you need a rear wheel with a freehub design.
    Thank you

banned
    Apr 2010
    Nope, you're stuck with 7 speed, even though the spacing is the same for 7,8,9, and now 10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I upgraded my Hardrock to a 9 speed drivetrain. Trust me it doesn't come cheap. At the very minimum you will need a new rear wheel (you could get away with buying a new hub but you will have to have the rear wheel disassembled and re-laced with the new hub, not worth the effort), 9 speed cassette, 9 speed rear shifter, and a new chain (the 7 speed chain is wider than a 9 speed chain)

You might also need a new rear derailleur and crankset depending on what you are currently using but I am not 100% sure on that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I upgraded my Hardrock to a 9 speed drivetrain. Trust me it doesn't come cheap. At the very minimum you will need a new rear wheel (you could get away with buying a new hub but you will have to have the rear wheel disassembled and re-laced with the new hub, not worth the effort), 9 speed cassette, 9 speed rear shifter, and a new chain (the 7 speed chain is wider than a 9 speed chain)

You might also need a new rear derailleur and crankset depending on what you are currently using but I am not 100% sure on that.

Im plannin on changin all that stuff. right now im tryin to find a good R wheel. I snapped the axle on the stock R hub. I was looking at the spin doctor hubs since they come in a freewheel version. now its just finding a wheel/hub thats compatable. Im not to worried about the upgrade to 9 speed 7 speed is fine. Most of the parts im finding say 8/9 speed compatable, not even listing 7 speed.

So i can convert my bike 9 speed i just have to find a 9speed freewheel hub/wheel/chain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeofthesky
    Im plannin on changin all that stuff. right now im tryin to find a good R wheel. I snapped the axle on the stock R hub. I was looking at the spin doctor hubs since they come in a freewheel version. now its just finding a wheel/hub thats compatable. Im not to worried about the upgrade to 9 speed 7 speed is fine. Most of the parts im finding say 8/9 speed compatable, not even listing 7 speed.

So i can convert my bike 9 speed i just have to find a 9speed freewheel hub/wheel/chain?
    I don't think I've ever seen a 9 speed freewheel. I think 7 speed is the highest freewheel you can find. Good luck though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen a 9 speed freewheel. I think 7 speed is the highest freewheel you can find. Good luck though.

how did you you upgrade your 19" hardrock to a 9 speed if they dont make freewheel hubs in 9 speeds? you said that the 19" hardrocks only work with a freewheel hub..

What wheel did you buy when you made the upgrade to 9sp? did you get it put together custom?

Thanks

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You can buy a hub that accepts 9 speed cassettes, it just won't be a freewheel hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    how did you you upgrade your 19" hardrock to a 9 speed if they dont make freewheel hubs in 9 speeds? you said that the 19" hardrocks only work with a freewheel hub..

What wheel did you buy when you made the upgrade to 9sp? did you get it put together custom?

Thanks
    I bought new wheels with a freehub design in the rear that accepts a 9 speed cassette. Here is a link to the wheels I bought.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...eelset+Oe.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought new wheels with a freehub design in the rear that accepts a 9 speed cassette. Here is a link to the wheels I bought.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...eelset+Oe.aspx

Thank you man. I appreciate all your help. have a good ride..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you man. I appreciate all your help. have a good ride..
    No problem, if you need any help with future upgrades just drop me a PM. The only original part on my Hardrock is the frame so I have some experience with the bike

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just bought a Hardrock sport 29". It has an 8 speed casette. My only problem with it is that it's got a 32tooth largest cog. I just upgraded my 26" bike to 9speed rear by buying wheels/ cassette/shifters(and derailleur for a nice matching set) Wheel world in Culver City has great prices on these components. As soon as the "New bike Smell" comes off my Hardrock 29 I'll do a similar upgrade but wondering about a 11-36 (or even 11-38?) cassette.