mtbr member
    Mar 2006

80mm stem on stumpjumper fsr?

Anyone try a shorter stem on a large fsr?

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Smile Very possible

I bought an 06 Stumpy comp., XL size and the stock 130mm stem was way too long and I felt stretched out, almost like a XC bike instead of a trail bike. LBS only had a 70mm specialized stem in-stock so I swapped it out at no charge. I rode the bike for the first three months with the 70mm stem and it felt OK, I did notice on steep climbs the front end would pop up a bit. I liked the 70mm size on the downhills though, nice and laid back and in a perfect attack position. I wanted a Thompson seatpost and when I went back to LBS they talked me into a Thompson X4 stem in 90mm size. I think thats the smallest stem Thompson makes. The new stem feels great, lost all the twitchyness of the 70mm stem. Next upgrade is going to be new riser bars with a bit of a back sweep, still investigating though. You just got the long answer, the short is yes you can run a 80mm stem and it will change your ride feel considerably. Go with what you feel comfortable with, sometimes it takes a few rides to get used to it. I was suprised at how different the bike felt with a shorter stem, I liked the upright feel and maybe you will too??

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    I bought an 06 Stumpy comp., XL size and the stock 130mm stem was way too long and I felt stretched out, almost like a XC bike instead of a trail bike. LBS only had a 70mm specialized stem in-stock so I swapped it out at no charge. I rode the bike for the first three months with the 70mm stem and it felt OK, I did notice on steep climbs the front end would pop up a bit. I liked the 70mm size on the downhills though, nice and laid back and in a perfect attack position. I wanted a Thompson seatpost and when I went back to LBS they talked me into a Thompson X4 stem in 90mm size. I think thats the smallest stem Thompson makes. The new stem feels great, lost all the twitchyness of the 70mm stem. Next upgrade is going to be new riser bars with a bit of a back sweep, still investigating though. You just got the long answer, the short is yes you can run a 80mm stem and it will change your ride feel considerably. Go with what you feel comfortable with, sometimes it takes a few rides to get used to it. I was suprised at how different the bike felt with a shorter stem, I liked the upright feel and maybe you will too??
    Did you try the L at all? Cause it sounds like that would be a better fit.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Large flet too tall

Yah I rode both a large and XL around the parking lot of LBS. My ride buddies were saying go with the large as your riding position on a trailbike should be less stretched out. I'm 6'3" and on the large I had the seatpost almost all the way up and I felt too high up in the air. The XL felt more comfortable to me in regards to the rear portion of the bike, but the distance between the seat and handlebars was a bit too much and the shorter stem solved the problem. Ideally I would be a 1/2XL or L+...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    Yah I rode both a large and XL around the parking lot of LBS. My ride buddies were saying go with the large as your riding position on a trailbike should be less stretched out. I'm 6'3" and on the large I had the seatpost almost all the way up and I felt too high up in the air. The XL felt more comfortable to me in regards to the rear portion of the bike, but the distance between the seat and handlebars was a bit too much and the shorter stem solved the problem. Ideally I would be a 1/2XL or L+...
    I'm shorter (6'1") and ride an L, so the XL might indeed be a better choice for you. I also have the seatpost setup quite high. But it sounds like you have long legs and relatively shorter arms, or shorter upper body. Maybe a somewhat higher riser bar would be useful?

I'd suggest to try one of the bikefitting calculators:

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Sec...ing/Height.asp

http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles...es_bikefit.asp

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I put a 100mm stem on my XL (stock was 120mm) with great results. Less laid out, and better for decents, rock gardens, etc. See if you can borrow one, or buy a cheapie until you find a length you like.
    It's a Sledgehammer...

SALLGUD

90mm

Waaaayyyy on the top of the list of things to change on my '06 XL Stumpy Expert was a stem swapout. The stock one was too long. The top tube on an XL Stumpy is not short, so a long stem is not needed. A Thomson 90mm x 10 degree fit the bill nicely in my case.

Michael