mtbr member
    Feb 2017

6'4" rider and Camber?

When I used to ride, I would ride single track with lots of tight corners and lots and lots of roots. Quick up and down hills. Have a Ventana Salt in my garage I never liked. At 6'4" 205lbs considering getting rid of the 26r and going 29r. At 6'4" (35-36" pants inseam) would an XL work (carbon) or stick with XXL (aluminum)? I have had too many bikes I need to mess with saddle position and stem length to get a poor fitting frame to fit and have 20"+ of post showing.

If I am on the fringe between XL and XXL I would prefer to go XL due to tight single track I ride......and will a carbon frame hold up to 205-210 lb rider who does not ride 'light'? Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi,
    I'm 6'2" tall, 33" inseam, I own a 2017 Camber Carbon size XL. I have the IRCC post at its minimum extension -- that is to say as low as it will go. I shortened the stem from 90mm to 60mm, this makes the reach about perfect.
    I think the XL should work for you, it has a generous top tube, and you should have plenty of room with respect to seat post extension.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 6,4" too and ride a 2014 Camber evo XL. I put on a 3T 30 mm riser bar and 55 mm 10° stem combo and ride with a 130 mm fork instead of 120 mm. My seat is about 3 cm higher then the bar and i'm very lucky with it because i like bars and seat about at the same level. For the new camber i would try both, but i think because spec has very high stack the new XL fits with a high riser if you want to go carbon and the reach is a tad longer.
    6'4" rider and Camber?-img_1615.jpg

p.s....i'm waiting for the XXL Hightower release to replace it

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am your exact specs and ride a carbon Expert 2016. It is bigger than most other companies XL for sure. I have a Specialized dropper post almost maxxed out. I am running a 75mm stem flipped up and 30 mm steerer spacers. I have 20mm ride Easton Havoc bars.

I am happy that the bike fits as well as it does but would love to try the XXl with a 50mm stem. I am going to Sedona this spring and will be renting an XXL camber as a test ride. There is a shop Manager in flagstaff named six-Eight Nate who has a XXL 27.5+ stumpy with a 75mm stem and it felt pretty good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is there talk of an XXL hightower? Not sure longer is needed but SC needs to wake up and start jacking up their stack heights. Their bikes are like time trial road bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'3" and riding a 2016 XL Camber. Not being a fit expert I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'd bet an XL would work for you. My bike has a 70mm stem and you could go with an 80 or 90 if you felt the need to increase the cockpit length. Good luck!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I should add that the carbon should be NO PROBLEM and often proves to be stronger than AL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    How concerned with not having boost? What if I want to upgrade wheels and or drivetrain in a year or two? Hold out for next year's Camber which I assume will get the boost treatment?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So being 6'4" and 210lbs, think it is worth waiting for the next years model which I assume Specialized would incorporate boost??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMyNameisMax View Post
    So being 6'4" and 210lbs, think it is worth waiting for the next years model which I assume Specialized would incorporate boost??
    I believe the 2017 Stumpjumper FSR Comp has boost now if he doesn't want to wait.

mtbr member
    I am only 6'3 but more leg (35" pants inseam) Watch the stack height... getting back into this after a long break (early 2010) I was thrilled to see the longer top tubes but shocked after testing many bikes to find they were extremely low in the front. Many 6+ inches lower grips than seat, fine for grinding away on double track or smooth trails but really tuff on slow tech or on sketchy decent (all the fun stuff) So even if you are between the XL and XXL check that hight it very well could make a massive difference

Maybe off topic but why do these companies cut the fork steerers off short? I know "slamming" the stem is all the rage and low makes for cool add photos but could they not leave an inch on top of the stem to give us some flexibility? even if the nub on top bugs you its a 15 minute job for the bike shop or anyone with the proper tools (Park tool SG-6, vise and hacksaw) to shorten it... kinda hard to make them longer and the fork is a massive part of the purchase price

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee View Post
    I am only 6'3 but more leg (35" pants inseam) Watch the stack height... getting back into this after a long break (early 2010) I was thrilled to see the longer top tubes but shocked after testing many bikes to find they were extremely low in the front. Many 6+ inches lower grips than seat, fine for grinding away on double track or smooth trails but really tuff on slow tech or on sketchy decent (all the fun stuff) So even if you are between the XL and XXL check that hight it very well could make a massive difference

Maybe off topic but why do these companies cut the fork steerers off short? I know "slamming" the stem is all the rage and low makes for cool add photos but could they not leave an inch on top of the stem to give us some flexibility? even if the nub on top bugs you its a 15 minute job for the bike shop or anyone with the proper tools (Park tool SG-6, vise and hacksaw) to shorten it... kinda hard to make them longer and the fork is a massive part of the purchase price
    Exact reason I chose the Camber. I loved my SC Tallboys but the stack is just stupid low. I spent hours making spreadsheets of Stack/Heights of the biggest bikes I could find. *turns out someone had already done that. The Camber hit all the marks so I got the XL Carbon. I get to try a XXL next week in Sedona with a 50mm stem.

Of note, the Gorilla line of bikes are even more hugerer in XL. Might be too big for me.