mtbr member

New question here. 6.5" x 1.5" on Stumpjumper FSR

anyone here ever tried running a 6.5" x 1.5" shock on an Stumpy instead of the 7.25" x 1.75"

would there be any problems running this setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Doesn't sound good

Quick math says you are squating the rear end of the bike down an inch. That should throw off your head angle quite a bit, really slack, and shorten up your available travel.

mtbr member
    what if I run a 100mm fork up front with that?

should make for a fun short travel bike with agressive geometry no?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I would try anything, it is fun to get different bike feels. How much to spend on it is up to you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePunisher
    anyone here ever tried running a 6.5" x 1.5" shock on an Stumpy instead of the 7.25" x 1.75"

would there be any problems running this setup?

Shouldn't be a problem. 6.5 x 1.5 IS the stock setup on a Stumpy FSR...Depending on the year. you didn't mention what year your FSR is. 7.25 x1.75 would make my the rear suspension on my stumpy over extended.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Um are you serious?? Your bike would be sitting on the ground, pedal bash, rubbish angles the works. By shortening the i-i length by 3/4" your bike with no sag would be similar to with current shock at 50% shock compression. Let all the air out of your current shock so the shock fully compresses, look at the bike, does it look ok? Does it look like a fun short travel bike? No, it looks stupid, the head angle would be really slack, and bottom bracket very low, not fun at all. The only think you could do to make it a shorter travel bike would be to get a shock with the same i-i measurement and less stroke, maybe 7.5"x1.5" or similar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

MIght want to check your forks. 100mm is the front fork travel on a stumpy FSR anyway, again depending on the model year, you've not told us the model year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Shock Swap?

I have an 05 FSRXC with the 6.5x1.5 Rear shock. Can I switch to the newer 7.0x1.6. What would be the advantages???

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Am I missing somthing?

As I understand it the numbers in the shocks work as follows:

The first number is the length of the shock, eye to eye.

The second is the maximum distance the shock will compress before bottoming out.

Using the standard 7.5 X 1.75 shock at maximum compresion would yield a shock length of 5.75 inches. If you switch to the 6.5 X 1.5 your shock would compress to only 5 inches. If this happens, the rear linkage will most likely hit the frame.

This is why it is so hard to replace the existing shock with a standard 7.5 X 2.0 shock. That compression distance is 5.5 and that compression distance will cause a collision between the linkage and the frame. I know that is not good.

How could a smaller shock be helpful without creating frame damage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OCscs
    I have an 05 FSRXC with the 6.5x1.5 Rear shock. Can I switch to the newer 7.0x1.6. What would be the advantages???
    Don't. There are really no advantages - it'll thrown off your geometry and make your bike ride worse.