mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5th Coil Oil leak

OK, got my rebuilt 5th element coil over back. It's got about 6 rides on it yet I still end up with oil and dirt sticking to the shaft. In fact, if I clean it all up, then just simply bounce the shock about 10 times I get a small oil ring on the shaft. It's not as bad as last time where it was dripping onto the frame. I'm wondering if you other 5th Coil owners see the same thing or is this one still not fixed?

Boomslang

Normal Lube

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    OK, got my rebuilt 5th element coil over back. It's got about 6 rides on it yet I still end up with oil and dirt sticking to the shaft. In fact, if I clean it all up, then just simply bounce the shock about 10 times I get a small oil ring on the shaft. It's not as bad as last time where it was dripping onto the frame. I'm wondering if you other 5th Coil owners see the same thing or is this one still not fixed?

WaveDude,

An oil ring is normal. There is lube in addition to hydraulic fluid in the shock. This is what keeps it moving smoothly. When shocks are new there is often excess lube in the main seal area. Don't worry about it unless it's literally dripping a month or two from now.

JW