Team Sanchez

450sl hoops are weak sauce?

I was out this past weekend busting out a 50 miler on my Stumpy Carbon comp. This was only the 4th ride on this bike. I went to round a switchback, and my front tire washed out on me. When I got up, my front wheel was out of true by a good margin. I work at a shop, and know how to build and true wheels. This hoop is now beyond truing. Spokes too tight on one side, and sloppy on the other. Anyone else have any issues with this rim?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    a lot of complaints about this rim on the net, i have them on my stumpy and theyre fine, however you can get away with a lot when your light

mtbr member
    They are trash. 1, they should be tensioned and trued before the bike hits the floor, but few shops do that. 2, they are weak rims- there's a whole thread on here somewhere of pictures of tacoed 450sl's. I rode mine in Moab after tensioning them the night before and it still felt like I was riding on rubber bands coming off of big drops- if I hadn't tensioned them, I'm sure I would've been walking out of Porcupine. Replaced them a week later...

Team Sanchez
    Thanks guys. I failed to mention that they are the 29 version. Just ordered up some Stan's Crest today. I hope they are a bit more durable. If those fail, then I'm just gonna bite the bullet, and build up some Dt 240 hubs laced to Edge carbon hoops.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Same thing happened to my rear 450sl. I have the same bike, and it happened pretty much the same way. Rounded a corner with some speed, hit a sizable rock, rim went out of true. Weak sauce indeed.

mtbr member
    @ el chingon: the crests are great wheels, but are on the lighter/ less durable side. The arches are a bit stronger and for more all-around riding. The crests are their race/ xc wheel. Depends on how and where you ride. I'm 185 geared up and ride pretty abusive trails, though I'm not a big drop guy (otherwise would've gotten the flows) and the arches are perfect.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We call them sponges.

mtbr member
    What's the longest anyone has had or seen someone go with the 450sl's?

I maybe have about 200 miles on mine without any issues. They are on my Stumpy Carbon Comp 29er. I just set them up tubeless a few weeks ago and they have been doing great. However, I have not read anything very promising or heard that these wheels are going to last. I ride a lot of XC out here in West Texas. I am riding with a team in the 24 hours of Rocky Hill in October and looking to replace these stock wheels with some Arch's before October gets here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No problem with my 450's after after est 1000 miles on my SS.
    I hit 3-4" roots pretty hard on regular XC trails. No real jumps or drops beyond 2', except one higher jump last week....hard enough landing for major burp in rear tire, but rim was fine.

I had them trued once in 6 months and they are currently very straight.

Suppose it depends on where and how you ride.

mtbr member
    Same problem with mine. I washed out in a downhill sand hole...when I got up...the front wheel was wobbled beyond repair. HIT NOTHING!!! I had maybe 300-400 miles on them. I've never seen a rim go like that. Weak sauce for sure!

On a side note, has anyone ever weighed one. How close do they really come to 450g. I think I'm going to relace the stock hubs to a set of Stans Arch. I wouldn't be suprised if I lose weight.

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    First thing I did after getting my stumpy comp was to order a set of Easton Havens. The 420SLs (26" version of the 450) are just heavy and wimpy, definitely the weak point of the bike. Since you work at a shop you could get a set of nice Rovals for like $400.

mtbr member
    more like tweak sauce

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My front wheel bent pretty bad after a minor wreck. So now should I buy anther rim and pay a LBS to rebuild the wheel or buy a new wheel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what's the pros of building a new wheel or buying a brand new one? I don't have many miles on the hub

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump Jump Comp View Post
    My front wheel bent pretty bad after a minor wreck. So now should I buy anther rim and pay a LBS to rebuild the wheel or buy a new wheel?
    I just went with a new wheelset...Stan's Arch on hope hubs. Couldn't be happier!

Besides cost, the only advantage to keeping the stock hubs would be the oversised end caps. But, by the time you factor in the cost to rebuild and new spokes and nipples...you've almost made up the difference.

Someday i'll rebuild the old hubs to have a second set for backup. Just waiting to stumble across some rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    Thanks guys. I failed to mention that they are the 29 version. Just ordered up some Stan's Crest today. I hope they are a bit more durable. If those fail, then I'm just gonna bite the bullet, and build up some Dt 240 hubs laced to Edge carbon hoops.
    WHy even build up Crests? I'd go straight for the 240/Enve option straight away!
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    WHy even build up Crests? I'd go straight for the 240/Enve option straight away!
    +1 for the Enve!!!

I hope they are a bit more durable.
    You know the Crest are about as light as a aluminum 29er rim gets...don't you? Just saying, I know a lot of people are happy with their durability, but at like 390g's or something...