mtbr member
    Jun 2009

32t chainring problem

I am trying to replace a SRAM 33t ring and so I bought a 32t blackspire ring made for 9/10 speed. I installed but it doesn't seem to shift correctly. Could the one less tooth make the ring just small enough to throw the derailleur off? Should I have gone with 34t?

I didn't go 33t because the rings are double the cost.

Has original x7 sram direct mount front derailleur. 2x10 front 33/22 t sram crank rear 11-36 shimano on a specialized fsr comp 29er. I put the original back on it shifts fine. I put the 32t blackspire and won't downshift and gets jammed on slow up shifting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I swapped from a 32t to a 36t and didn't have any problems with mines when shifting.

You're talking about the front chainring correct?
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: 32t chainring problem

I just bought both front blackspire chain rings for exact same bike. Orientation is critical, and they don't tell you where to place the shift ramps. Go to their website and look at their installed rings on cranks, then make sure you've got the graphics in the right orientation. Mine are working flawless.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I will look at that. I had it shifting good then it went back to the same issue once the lube on the chain went away. When I called Blackspire they said I may have to replace the chain.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Check that you have the shift ramps orientated correctly. To your original question - on an X-Glide crank you must have the correct number of teeth in each ring as they are "matched" to give the correct chain length when shifting between the rings. Hence that 26/39 and 28/42 are the only X-Glide rings. On a non-X-Glide chainring set you have different ramps to compensate for variable chain length.

The X7 is an X-Glide crank, but you need to use the 26/39 or the 28/42 rings.

Also you might need to look at the front derailleur - they are specific for chainrings and your smaller ring might require it to operate outside of it's limits. If you have a DMD X7 front derailleur you may need to go back to the 33 ring or see if you can make a low or high mount derailleur work (doubtful).