mtbr member
    Jun 2009

32mm rims on Pitch

I am looking at getting a set of the Revo 32 wheelset from Transition bikes but wonder if the 32mm rim would be alright with 2.3's or even 2.4's.

Thanks!

mtbr member

32mm rims

Hello,

I run Mavic 729 EX rims on my 2004 Specialized enduro with Maxxis Advantage 2.4 tires and all is fine. The 729s are 30mm wide. Under heavy lateral loading the side knobs brush the chain stays just a bit but it's simply part of the big tire / hard riding deal. It's all just minor cosmetics and unnoticeable while riding gnarly trails. On the other hand, if the Transition rims are as good as the 729s are then you will rail with precision. Note: a 20mm through axle is advised as well as taking a close look at your front derailleur setting in its lowest gear position, assuming you have one on your Pitch. In my opinion the 1mm or less on each side of your potential rims are negligible at best compared to my 30mm ones and I presume that your chain stays are not so very different either.

I hope this helps you.

All the best,

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah it helps for sure... I do have a 20mm on the front as well. I think I will stay with 2.3's or maybe go no bigger than 2.35. I also recall people putting the Azonic outlaws on the pitch which is a 32mm rim.

Thanks.