mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2nd Water Bottle cage for 2011 Epic???

I just got my new S-Works Epic and I did know that it only had 1 cage, but I'm looking for a 2nd cage option because I don't like using Hydration packs for the longer 50-100 mile events that I have planned. The events I do have stops to refill bottles and I prefer a short stop to refill rather than wearing a hydration pack.
    I noticed a photo on page 7 of the February 2011 Velo News of Milton Ramos racing his Epic with a 2nd cage mounted to the back of his seatpost. Does anyone know what kind of cage that is? Or how to mount a cage to the seatpost? Or have any suggestions to mounting a 2nd cage- preferrably for a large bottle. I don't like the "Tri" looking seat mounted cages.

mtbr member
    My 2011 Epic Evo 29er came with water bottle mounts for the seatpost. Check with the shop you bought the bike from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    another option I have used is a fanny pack that carries a regular water bottle.
    nathans or REI makes them. It allows me to chinch it to my waist. carry some gel. and I just reach around to my back for some water. just a thought for you. Id like to have 2 on the bike but its just not an option. if you use the seat one than tools and a spare goes in your back pocket..... either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSoCAL
    My 2011 Epic Evo 29er came with water bottle mounts for the seatpost. Check with the shop you bought the bike from.
    What he said.

I got them with my Epic too.

Quote Originally Posted by chekuen
    another option I have used is a fanny pack that carries a regular water bottle.
    nathans or REI makes them. It allows me to chinch it to my waist. carry some gel. and I just reach around to my back for some water. just a thought for you. Id like to have 2 on the bike but its just not an option. if you use the seat one than tools and a spare goes in your back pocket..... either way.
    If you can ride with something cinched around your waist this is a good option. Personally, I can't stand anything tight around my waist when I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Fellas. I'll check with the shop for the seatpost mount. As far as the fanny pack option- I'm the same, I can't ride with something cinched to me for hours on end. And even though it's only a couple pounds on my back, mentally, I feel better without it.

Freedom Isn't Free
    Specialized sells rear cage mounts for seatposts.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=56734

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Hol
    Specialized sells rear cage mounts for seatposts.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=56734
    Nice find!

I went looking for that link but couldn't find it.

Freedom Isn't Free
    Look under Equipment, Gear, Water Bottles/Cages, then Cages on the Specialized website. I bought a Two Fish Quick Cage Adapter at Amazon...velcro solution.

mtbr member
    I don`t work for them or have any sort of connection with them but you might wanna check out http://veleau.com/

I haven`t ridden one but have it on order...concept looks good enough to at least try!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails
    I don`t work for them or have any sort of connection with them but you might wanna check out http://veleau.com/

I haven`t ridden one but have it on order...concept looks good enough to at least try!
    That is an awesome idea / product. I've always thought a great product would be a hydration pack in the triangle and that's basically just as good, plus it'll work with every bike.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 01-09-2011 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think so too....I should be getting the pack (and the Epic) this week. I`ll have to wait until spring to give the pack its full workout seeing how it's 10 degrees outside right now...but it sure beats hauling a camelback around.

mtbr member

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    That veleau rig is a cool idea,don't really like how far it sticks out from under the seat.
    If it ran more down the length of the seat post,keeping under the back of the saddle I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J
    That veleau rig is a cool idea,don't really like how far it sticks out from under the seat.
    If it ran more down the length of the seat post,keeping under the back of the saddle I'd be all over it.
    You could probably modify it to mount lower but I imagine the reason it is designed like that is for long travel bikes.

mtbr member
    ihad 4 of those types.10.00 each.iused it on endurances races but it would swing the weight around.the bottle holder at the front stem works great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Did you loose the bottle from stem?

Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    ihad 4 of those types.10.00 each.iused it on endurances races but it would swing the weight around.the bottle holder at the front stem works great.
    Going downhill and braking... do you loose it?
    I mount my computer and other stuff on my stem (bars)... I wonder how much space would this take up....
    What are you using to mount the cage... same or modified clams as the Specialized ones?

The PACK above... I Imagine it will be swinging a lot and with 42 oz of liquid full and climbing ... that is considerable weight quite back on the bike... I think unless you stand climbing you will feel it in seated position and front wheel will go up... just a thought...

I never tried it... but I would like to see also a pack that mounts into main triangle.... of course this brings up a challenge as frames are not the same...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride_2_Fast
    Going downhill and braking... do you loose it?
    I mount my computer and other stuff on my stem (bars)... I wonder how much space would this take up....
    What are you using to mount the cage... same or modified clams as the Specialized ones?

The PACK above... I Imagine it will be swinging a lot and with 42 oz of liquid full and climbing ... that is considerable weight quite back on the bike... I think unless you stand climbing you will feel it in seated position and front wheel will go up... just a thought...

I never tried it... but I would like to see also a pack that mounts into main triangle.... of course this brings up a challenge as frames are not the same...

Thanks
    Umm you think 42 oz just below and behind the seat will make the front wheel go up while climbing seated? I'm 180 lbs and i'd be a little more concerned about the 180 lbs on the seat trying to lift the front wheel rather than that 2.6 lbs.

I would think it'd be more of a concern when standing not sitting.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 01-10-2011 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    i liked the idea of under the saddle, but felt the weight too much.swinging.
    i have been using the stem mount for yrs . took a major steep downhill crash in o9 to test durability of position.end over end .. bottle got crushed a little only. cage never moved or broke ...front wheel tacoed/shoulder ruined,etc..not by choice. its the bomb. i use the spech. cage .plastic, not the sworks carbon one.and u can see the bottle size used.
    i saftey wire front of cage thru stem mount bolts..not really tight but snug.and bolt rear to fork cap

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    i liked the idea of under the saddle, but felt the weight too much.swinging.
    i have been using the stem mount for yrs . took a major steep downhill crash in o9 to test durability of position.end over end .. bottle got crushed a little only. cage never moved or broke ...front wheel tacoed/shoulder ruined,etc..not by choice. its the bomb. i use the spech. cage .plastic, not the sworks carbon one.and u can see the bottle size used.
    i saftey wire front of cage thru stem mount bolts..not really tight but snug.and bolt rear to fork cap
    ...or just use the mounts that come with the frame/bike. The've held up for me after 6-7 hour endurance races.

mtbr member
    i fumble using stock mounts. and racers see u r reaching for bottle, they sprint!