Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2bliss Requires 2wice The Sealant

I have been having some issues with my Fast Traks and did some research on the Specialized website. I ran across an article in the support forum that stated 2bliss tires require twice as much sealant cuz they are so lite and may have a lot of holes which require extra sealent.

Not that I really care, but how much does 2oz of Stans weigh?

"Our 2Bliss ready tires were designed to be some of the lightest tubeless ready tires on the market. The reduction in weight comes from a reduction of material in the sidewall. To mount these tires tubeless, you will want to use twice the recommended amount of Stan's sealant (in comparison to UST tires). The sealant will work its way into the open pores of the sidewalls and plug the holes. Some of this may bleed to the outside of the tire. It is not a concern and can be washed away after the pore has been sealed. If your tire is reluctant to seal up, we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and you can exchange the tires out for a new set where you purchased them from. We honor this guarantee for 90 days from the purchase date so keep your receipt."

mtbr member
    I've got 2Bliss on my Stumpy and rock the two cups of sealant. That's the recommended amount I believe.

I'm still holding air after 100 miles or so with no added sealant.

What problems are you having?

mtbr member
    I've always used 2 scoops max on my Renegade, Purgatory and Fast Trak 29's. They have always sealed up great for me.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    May 2008
    On my 2bliss I used 4oz front AND back; 4oz a tire...I'm now running Grid as the 2bliss had thin side walls & I'm down to 2oz's.

official eMpTyBRain
    I use 3-4ozs in my 29er 2bliss S-Works Ground Controls. As long as I ride regularly to keep the stuff circulated around the inside of the tire, I have very little pressure loss.

Do understand that with tubeless set ups, some pressure loss on a regular basis is considered normal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I too have always used two scoops in my Purgs, Renegades, and Fast Traks.

I rode with a pretty aggressive group the other day, and came out the next day to find my rear tire flat. So I pumped it back up (45psi) and started seeing a lot of small white bubbles in the side walls, which I have heard about, but never witnessed on my other Spesh tires.

The main concern for me is the tire starting to seperate here.

IMG_1519 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

You can see its getting to a point where the sealant is coming through.

IMG_1516 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

I don't have this issue on any of my other Spesh tires. Through the Renegade on the back, and am still cruising. I am just concerned about the longevity of a tire in this condition.

eBiker
    Armadillo version was a one scoop sealer for me.

You have to pay to play when you go light.

P

mtbr member
    Depending on how old they are I would have the dealer warranty them.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    I've got 2Bliss on my Stumpy and rock the two cups of sealant. That's the recommended amount I believe.

I'm still holding air after 100 miles or so with no added sealant.

What problems are you having?
    same here, 2 cups (scoops) per tire on my specialized ground control 2blis

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    dono why people still buy specialized tires....after using them, you see what happens. I give credit to stan's for holding that tire together.

mtbr member
    Use Caffelattex and you'll be allright with the recommended 100ml for the a 29 wheel.

Soulforce Cycling
    I've got about 6+ oz in each 2bliss because they were slowly losing air with only 4 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

mtbr member
    I wouldnt consider its normal or ideal for sidewalls to be so thin and so "light" that sealant just comes straight through the side of the tire. I dont doubt their performance but i do doubt their durability and/or consistency.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012

Very funny!

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Not that I really care, but how much does 2oz of Stans weigh?
    Jonshonda, This is the funniest question I have read in quite a while. Read your question, and you have your answer. The weight decreases over time as the stuff evaporates, which is why you need to replenish.

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention though. I am about to go tubeless on my new Flows and have been debating tire choices. I like Spec. tires; they are super-light and grip above their weight class, but the idea of porous sidewalls gives me some concern. I have picked up a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 for the front and Crossmark 2.1 for the rear and will see how it goes.

Oh, and your tire is shot. I wouldn't ride it with those splits in the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Jfloren - not to burst your bubble, but fluid volume is not the same as weight.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I found the 2bliss tires the easiest to seal with a floor pump and stans recommended amount out of all the tires I've tried. Renegade and Fast Trak / control and s-works.

Kendal are a nightmare to seal.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    Jfloren - not to burst your bubble, but fluid volume is not the same as weight.
    No bubbles bursting here. On the Earth's surface, 2 oz. of anything weighs two ounces. You are assuming the OP meant fluid ounces, as in 1/4 cup, which of course is a different thing. Stan's mixture is heavier than water so 2 fl. oz. weighs more than 2 oz.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    You are assuming the OP meant fluid ounces, as in 1/4 cup, which of course is a different thing.
    It's fluid. WTF else could he have meant ?

None of my "control" casing tires weeped when new (captains, fast trak and ground control). But they start weeping after the sidewalls get worn from scrubbing rocks. If the tires get wet from washing the bike or riding through water, new weeping spots show up.

S works casing tires I've tried weeped from minute one and never stopped.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    It's fluid. WTF else could he have meant ?

None of my "control" casing tires weeped when new (captains, fast trak and ground control). But they start weeping after the sidewalls get worn from scrubbing rocks. If the tires get wet from washing the bike or riding through water, new weeping spots show up.

S works casing tires I've tried weeped from minute one and never stopped.
    Come on, you are no fun.

Seriously though, "weeping" of sealant through the sidewalls seems worrisome, at least to uneducated/inexperienced me. Is this really normal and acceptable? Does it happen with other tires?

It is comforting that Specialized says it is "not a concern," but it seems difficult not to be concerned about numerous tiny holes in the sidewalls forming without a puncture -- particularly when that sidewall is the only thing keeping you from hitting the ground on a downhill curve. Am I being paranoid?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm not that concerned regarding the wheeping of the sealant through the sidewalls. I am 260lbs down from 308, and have never had a durability issue with my tires.

I am more concerned with the pictured tire issue.

Jfloren; Nice try!!

official eMpTyBRain
    Wow jonshonda, it looks like somebody spun your wheel and held a razor blade to your tire. Got any biking enemies out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha.....not that I know of.

At first I though I cut the tire on a rock or root, but after more investigation I found that not to be the case. I posted my question on the Specialized Website like they advise you to, and they advertise that an agent will answer said question within one business day.

Well, no response for a few days, and today I find they have simply deleted my question. Thats special...not!!

Thanks Specialized *****!

My Fast Trak washed out on me on a wet trail today, so now I am super pissed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    I wouldnt consider its normal or ideal for sidewalls to be so thin and so "light" that sealant just comes straight through the side of the tire. I dont doubt their performance but i do doubt their durability and/or consistency.
    That's why I dumped the 2bliss for their Grid model. My second ride on the 2bliss & the thin side walls punctured leaving me struggling using tubes in a isolated thorn infested desert.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Love my 2Bliss tires. Have used Fast Trak Controls, Renegade Controls, and Ground Control(Controls) and all have sealed up fine with the recommended amount from Stans and a floor pump. The Renegade did weep a bit, but was never really a huge problem... granted that tire didn't last as long as the Fast Traks - being a lightweight "race" tire, it was kinda expected.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I'm not that concerned regarding the wheeping of the sealant through the sidewalls. I am 260lbs down from 308, and have never had a durability issue with my tires.

I am more concerned with the pictured tire issue.

Jfloren; Nice try!!
    Good to hear. I do think your tire is toast.. At least 2 oz. worth of toast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast