Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2Bliss conversion fail

I have a 2011 Stumpy Expert 29er. I just tried to convert to tubeless using the stock Specialized stuff that came with the bike -- blue rim strip already installed, valve stems that came with the bike, and the stock Purgatory tires. Here was my procedure:
    - Unseated half the tire and removed the tube
    - Installed the valve stem on top of the blue strip. Pushed it in from the inside and tightened the nut as tight as I could with my fingers.
    - Put recommended amount of Slime Pro in the tire.
    - Put the tire back on the rim
    - Aired up the tire. The bead set and it aired up easily.
    - Moved the wheel/tire around horizontally on both sides to evenly distribute the slime.

I noticed several hours later that the front tire had lost some pressure, so I tightened the stem beyond finger tight with pliers and pumped it back up.
    A couple days later the front tire was completely flat and the rear is soft.

Did I do something wrong?
    Can I make the 2Bliss stufff work, or should I get a Stans kit?
    Should I just go back to tubes?

dirt visionary
    I can make the any of the 2bliss stuff work on any rim ust or non ust....

Maybe your problem is that the one side that was already seated didn't get any sealeant in that bead therefore its leaking.

Yesterday I change 7 tires between 4 wheelsets. Had issues with one tire that would not set. So I tossed a tube in it pumped it up set the beads. Aired down the tube busted one side pulled tube out filled with stans and reaired it . Bead finally set but had to deal with it leaking for a bit before I popped the other bead off and then reaired it to pop it back on. Stopped leaking within 15min.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Not sure why your having this problem, my 2bliss tires air up and hold without any sealant just Stans tape(I am going to put sealant in before I ride)

Air both the tires up, lay them horizontally, put soap and water in a bucket, get a large brush and put the suds around the rim. Now you should be able to see where it's leaking from.

I would check the tape on the rim, on my X420SL's the stock tape had small holes in certain places mainly it was ripped around the valve stem area.

I've only ever used Stans and it has worked 100% of the time so far. If your going to get the Stans you don't need to buy the kit just get the sealant and tape(rim strips are not needed imo).

Former Bike Wrench
    Have ridden it yet, sometimes it takes a ride to get the sealant to seal all the potential leak points.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Replace the blue Spesh tape with Stan's yellow tape. The blue tape that was installed on my Epic's 29'er rims was far from wide enough to adequately seal the spoke holes and air leaked from all of them.

Once I put one layer of yellow tape on them, no more problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Use Stans sealant and watch the installation videos on www.notubes.com.

mtbr member
    Interesting topic.

Let me suggest you all to use Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex sealant,by far the best latex I've ever used.

I'm due to do this conversion in a couple of days on my SJ Elite. The dealer told me the blue tape is already installed and I just have to put the valve stems and I should be ready to go.
    Just a quick question,sorry it may be silly : do I have to poke a hole in the tape to let the valve through ?? That doesn't sound right actually,but I always had tubeless ready rims..
    Last edited by Devastazione; 02-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione
    Interesting topic.

Let me suggest you all to use Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex sealant,by far the best latex I've ever used.

I'm due to do this conversion in a couple of days on my SJ Elite. The dealer told me the blue tape is already installed and I just have to put the valve stems and I should be ready to go.
    Just a quick question,sorry it may be silly : do I have to poke a hole in the tape to let the valve through ?? That doesn't right actually,but I always had tubeless ready rims..
    No the hole is already there

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Gotta be leaks in the tape or you didn't have the bead seated all the way. Try wiping a little bit of soapy water around the beads right before you air them up. You should hear a pretty loud pop when the beads fully seat. Air up to the max pressure indicated on the tire sidewall to be sure.

If the tires are s-works purgatorys they may leak a bit of air through the sidewalls and need sealant. If they are control purgatorys they should hold air with with no sealant.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Use newer tyres. Worn/ used/dirty/ dusty tyres and beads don't seal to well. OR take tyre off and clean with soap and water. Dry. Try again.

mtbr member
    O yea I forgot to mention on specialized FAQ's i forget where but it says to use 2x the recommended amount of stans in 2bliss tire because the sidewalls have pores

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't know what everyone is talking abut with the 2bliss Control versions not needing sealant. Mine leaked all over the place thru the sidewalls, there were bubbles everywhere. Took about a month or two before they stopped leaking air, even after properly installing with Stan's. They only dropped a few lb's in between rides but they still leaked.

OP, forget the slime. Wash out the inside of the tires to get all of the powder from the tubes out of the tires. Reinstall with Stan's and treat the sidewalls a few extra times by laying them on their sides and swirling the sealant around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Okay, I bought some Stan's sealant and I'll give it another try. A mechanic at my LBS also said to use 5 to 6 ounces instead of the recommended 2 oz. of sealant. I don't see any sealant leaking out anywhere, it's just losing air.

FWIW, the front tire is an S-Works Purgatory and the rear is a Purgatory Control, both 29x2.2.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    Okay, I bought some Stan's sealant and I'll give it another try. A mechanic at my LBS also said to use 5 to 6 ounces instead of the recommended 2 oz. of sealant. I don't see any sealant leaking out anywhere, it's just losing air.

FWIW, the front tire is an S-Works Purgatory and the rear is a Purgatory Control, both 29x2.2.
    Well more can't hurt, I have the exact same setup and as mentioned before a good ride will tend to seal things up. I'm using 3oz of my homebrew sealant per tire and they were slowly leaking down before the first ride but hold air great since.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    I don't know what everyone is talking abut with the 2bliss Control versions not needing sealant.
    There has been some discussion that the more recently manufactured control tires have more rubber coating on the inside. A guy at my local spech. dealer backed it up. I have 4 control captains that I've bought within the last 10 months and they hold pressure longer than tires with tubes in them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    2 things that I didn't see mentioned yet:

-Put grease (lots) around the rubber grommet of the valve stem.
    -Ride it, preferably in rocks. Any tire I have a problem with gets ridden down a drainage ditch. My gut tells me that it deforms the casing enough to open up small holes and it gets plugged with Stans. 10 min ride usually solves the issue.

Also, like password said, use new tires. I refuse to convert any tire that was ridden on the trail with a tube. PITA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    There has been some discussion that the more recently manufactured control tires have more rubber coating on the inside. A guy at my local spech. dealer backed it up. I have 4 control captains that I've bought within the last 10 months and they hold pressure longer than tires with tubes in them.
    guess I got screwed because I was not aware of that. I did just get one new tire about 2 months ago and come to think about it, it might be holding air better than the others...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu

as mentioned before, watch the Stan's video. You won't see sealant leaking out of the tire. You will see foamy/bubbles appearing where the pin holes are located. I used 1 1/2 scoops of Stans to seal up my 26" 2.2 captains and 2.3 Purg. For 29r, I'd use 2 scoops. Make sure that the tires are dry after washing out all of that other goo before getting started.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pwork
    2 things that I didn't see mentioned yet:

-Put grease (lots) around the rubber grommet of the valve stem.
    -Ride it, preferably in rocks. Any tire I have a problem with gets ridden down a drainage ditch. My gut tells me that it deforms the casing enough to open up small holes and it gets plugged with Stans. 10 min ride usually solves the issue.

Also, like password said, use new tires. I refuse to convert any tire that was ridden on the trail with a tube. PITA.
    Thanks for the inputs. I'll try the grease. These tires are fairly new and I like them a lot, so I'm not going to buy new tires now. I could just put the tubes back in until they wear out, but I'll give the tubeless another try.

dirt visionary
    No need to buy new tires. If your stem is sealed and the strip is in proper then its a matter of getting sealant to seal the tire. Stans will take care of that with the right amount. For new tires I normally used 4oz as it takes more than you think to coat the inside of the tire.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    You have DT swiss rims correct? Pump the tire up to 30-40 psi and check the seam where the rim meets itself, if you don't hear air leaking from it try putting some soap suds on it

just ride
    another little problem I have faced is if you use tire levers to install your tires you may tear or pop a small hole in the tape!

Dont forget if you buy new specialized tires and have problems , they have a program that allows you to take it back to your LBS and get a new one. below is from thier website

"We are so confident in the performance of our tires that we are now providing an unconditional satisfaction guarantee on every tire we make for 90 days from the original date of the tire's purchase.

If for any reason, you are not satisfied with any Specialized tire, just return it to the store you purchased it from with a proof of purchase, and they will exchange it for another Specialized tire of equivalent value.

If you have purchased your tires from the Specialized online store and are in the USA, send an email to store_customerservice@specialized.com or call us at (877) 808-8154 and we will take care of your issue."

rider
    From the 2bliss instruction link above:

"DT SWISS RIMS - When installing 2Bliss Ready tires on DT Swiss Rims, it is recommended to use the DT Swiss 2Bliss Ready kit. If this is not available, the rims may need to be taped with 3-4 revolutions of Roval 2Bliss Ready tape to build up the rim inner diameter, in order to create a
    better seal for tire inflation."

Are they saying the 420/450SL requires the mystery DT Swiss 2Bliss Ready kit also?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast