Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er S-works Epic Brain Shock rubbing chainstay

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  norty_mtb 
#1 ·
Anybody having this problem? It seems the shock is incredible close to the chainstay and has rubbed and chipped some clearcoat. I've adjusted the shock to the correct position but it still clips it a bit. Anybody having the same problem. thanks.

#5 ·
Yup, had it too on my S-Works Epic 29'er medium - adjusted the brain. Same for my friend with his XL S-Works Epic 29'er.

Even when adjusting, spacing is very little. Wish they had put a thicker washer on the mounting tab. Adding a protective patch is nearly impossible, as it will probably be too thick and will start rubbing the brain.

Another thing to pay attention too: let out all the air of your shock, compress the bike and check the seattube. The shock hose probably rubs the seat tube too ... put a protective patch on it.

It's all little details on the 2011 model ... hope they took care of these issues with the 2012.

#6 ·
I ended up putting a strip of very thin wire on the ledge of the washer and that moved the shock out about 1/8 out. Seems to be working, plus the sticker after it chipped some clear coat. Not that I want to but has anybody replaced the brain shock with a regular Fox shock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.