Thread: 29er Frames

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

29er Frames

I've been looking to get a 29er single speed frame (I've got an 03 Cannondale Jekyll and Bianchi SISS) and I really like Specialized's format to be able to run gears or ss because I may want to go 1X9 in the future. Is there anyone that sells a new 08-09 Stumpjumper 29er frame or if not where are some good places to find a used one (I'd be a large frame)? The new rockhoppers also have the adjustable sliders but you have to buy the whole bike and those bikes aren't really built up to how I like them (with the dart fork and 8 speed) and I think it'd be cheeper to build up cause I can steel some parts off the Bianchi and it would also be funner for me to build up a frame. So what should I do? Just buy a new Rockhopper Comp and upgrade or find a used/new frame? Any help or input would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Man a lot of people commented on this. I found an 09 Stumpjumper frame and seatpost at the local bike shop that fits me for $550. Would that be a good deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, if it fits sounds fair. Then you can go 1x9, 2x9, 3x9, 1x1. 2x1 (dingle), 2x10.........

has training wheels
    I have a 2009 Rockhopper single speed, and I joined this forum mostly for help with changing to a 1x9 setup; so I'm interested to hear how this works out!

The Other Dude
    $550 sounds like a pretty good deal for that frame, it sounds like its exactly what you want. It is nice that the frame is so versatile with the drivetrain options.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142
    I have a 2009 Rockhopper single speed, and I joined this forum mostly for help with changing to a 1x9 setup; so I'm interested to hear how this works out!
    You need to get a new drive side sliding drop out from your LBS that sells Specialized that has the der. hanger. Next would be to build up a new wheel and get the shifter, der., cassette and cables and mount them all up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Delta ez for you to go 1x9. You have cable stops on that bike, and I believe the rear drop out has the der. hanger. Just get a rear der. prob. medium cage if you are dedicated to 1x9. If you think you might want to go 3x9 at some point get the the long cage. You will also need a new chain, rear cassette, shifter and then either a jump stop or one of the new E13 chaing keeper deals for the front. A ring guard is optional.

has training wheels
    No, no cable stops on this model. Headed to the local bike shop now to ask around. Thanks for advice on the derailleur; I'm sure I won't go 3x9 in the near future, so I was thinking short cage. Any reason why not to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Delta, the link shows the brown model, 09. In the picture you can see a cable stop on the down tube and also one on the chain stay. Perhaps that was just for the pic and the producation which you have did not have these? Short cage would work fine. If you look on the drivetrain forum you will see a ton of info on that.

has training wheels
    Huh--didn't notice that in the photo before. No, mine is the same finish, year & model but missing both cable stops. You got my hopes up for a minute, I had to recheck my down tube!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ils.php?id=200 Check that out. They just stick on. As for the rear drop out, if it doesn't have the hanger just ask your spesh dealer to get the right drive side drop out. I think this is the one:http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9305&eid=5135

has training wheels
    Great! I was sure there'd be a cable management solution of some kind out there. And yes, that's the hanger I found, too. Specialized seems to be the only source for it, so that makes for an easy choice.