mtbr member
    Oct 2007

29 Stumpjumper FSR Gearing

Looking for some help....moving off a 26 incher to my on order 29 stumpy FSR...like to run a 44 big ring and spend alot off time in the middle of rear cog in my terrain. Worried the 22X33 is going to feel very slow...spinning it out ect...I was thinking I could run more like a Epic on the big ring..say 38 but will that effect my shifting from the 22. Anyone with 2X10 can enlighten me if they wish....I know bike is going to rock and I want to go FAST!!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsell1
    Looking for some help....moving off a 26 incher to my on order 29 stumpy FSR...like to run a 44 big ring and spend alot off time in the middle of rear cog in my terrain. Worried the 22X33 is going to feel very slow...spinning it out ect...I was thinking I could run more like a Epic on the big ring..say 38 but will that effect my shifting from the 22. Anyone with 2X10 can enlighten me if they wish....I know bike is going to rock and I want to go FAST!!! Thanks
    Find a gear ratio page on the web and plug in the numbers. Try Harris Cyclery's page.

I was wondering this myself, but more worried about the small gears, but when I plugged the numbers in, it worked out that both the low and high gears were pretty much the same between the triple setup and the double.

I think basically you just eliminate a lot of the similar gear combos present in a triple setup, but still keep the same high and low end ratios.