mtbr member

25mm front hubs for e150

Got myself an 07 enduro sl carbon and think its great apart from two areas. These areas are absolutly crap so I'm not happy. I'd expect Specialized to spec parts that can do the job properly.

I ride in the Lake District and Peaks in the UK with UK weather and mud.

Firstly the brakes can't cope with mud. Ended up bining them after 3 rides. The amount of mud ingress behind the pads was unbelievable and ended up making the brakes drag badly whilst out on the trail. I have replaced them with Hope Mono 4's.

Secondly is the front hub. What a piece of crap. Had the bike 2 months and the bearings are giving up!!!!! And whats more Specialized decided to make it a 25mm hub. Who makes them other than Specialized I ask? NO ONE. Why o why use a part that can't be change especially when other companies do make 24mm hubs. FFS

I am just a tad annoyed taht I have spent nearly 3000 on a bike that, because of poor choices, may mean I have to get some different forks just so I can get a front hub that is actually any good.

If anyone knows of a company that has got or is intending on making a 25mm front hub with sealed bearing (good seals at that) then I'd be grateful.......otherwise I will vent some rage in Specialzed direction.

Ta
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

mtbr member

25 mm replacements

I felt the same way about mine...i got the 07 sl expert so i didnt like the wheels or cassette either so i ordered a set of Industry Nine Enduro wheels, they include DT EX 5.1 rims I9 hubs which are awesome!!! and their own straight pull aluminum spokes with a new sram cassette attached it dropped the weight almost 2 pounds. The cool thing was that they didn't offer a 25mm hub, and do not list it but i called them and for no aditional cost over the wheelset price they machined new 25mm cones for me out of billet that are perfect! They offered a 24mm for Mavericks so they just made an identical template and enlarged it by 1mm. The guys at that company are great and aim to please just be prepared to wait a little because so much of the machining is done by hand and they are a small outfit. I have some pictures of them on one of the "latest thing you have done to your bike" posts, i will try to find it and repost for you here. I will say they are the stiffest, lightest, truest wheels that i have ever had, and their hubs are bomb proof. Instant engagement most similar to Hadley's. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Other Dude
    I agree, the I9 wheels are great, and you can get them with the 25mm hub. Also look in the the Specialized Roval Traversee wheelset, i run them on my SL, the hubs are my by DT Swiss, so i think we can all agree they are good stuff. The last option i have heard that you can slightly modify a Spinergy wheelset to work, not sure which one, but if you do a search on the forum, i am sure it will come up. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but no worries, you have a great bike!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Thanks for that info guys. Will look into it. If I am right in thinking they are an American company. I will see if one of the Brit ones (live in UK) will do the same job with some cunning machineing.

Ta again.

P
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

Wait, what!?
    Thanks a lot SIK, I want that set up now....

Would you trust them on a 5-6 foot drop every now and then? Maybe more?

mtbr member
    I would trust them all day long, the EX 5.1's are 28mm welded, nice and wide and the hubs are super strong, rear one was tested at over 500 ft/lbs of torque by i9. The spokes are super strong even though there aluminum they are actually stronger then regular spokes because there is no j bend or nipple, they are straight pull screw ins. Their only weekness is a hit from the side because they dont bend like steel, but they are half the weight. I have no worries in the up to 8 ft range, i'm not usually going any bigger then that but i have to think they would be fine, i've had mine since July and they are as true as day one with about 250 hard miles on them, Good luck

mtbr member

Great guys AND Service.... DT Makes Rovals

http://www.dtswiss-us.com/contactus.htm
    Phone:
    970/242-9232

FAX:
    970/244-8918

Email:
    info@dtswiss-us.com

Address:
    2493 Industrial Blvd.
    Grand Jct., Colorado 81505
    USA

.:Tech

Email
    tech@dtswiss-us.com
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What kind of pricetag is it on these wheels?