Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    fc
    mtbr founder Administrator

2017 Specialized Enduro

Here's a sneak peak from the EWS race here in Whistler.

2017 Specialized Enduro spotted - Mtbr.com

All the details will be released on 1am Sunday!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130043.jpg  

2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130045.jpg  

2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130046.jpg  

2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130049.jpg  

2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130051.jpg  

2017 Specialized Enduro-p8130053.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing the geometry on this monster. I am calling 65.5 HA/73.8 SA/13.4 BB/16.8 CS.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Looking forward to hearing the geometry on this monster. I am calling 65.5 HA/73.8 SA/13.4 BB/16.8 CS.
    29er or 27.5? You are way off on the Seat Angle. They steepened this up real good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    29er or 27.5? You are way off on the Seat Angle. They steepened this up real good.
    75 would be amazing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If the rear centre is that short I won't be buying one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Yeah, I really hope its no shorter than the outgoing model.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    75 would be amazing

76 degrees!!

Reach got longer and stack on a medium drops from 632mm to 609.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    76 degrees!!

Reach got longer and stack on a medium drops from 632mm to 609.

fc
    Wow! Can't wait to see the rest of the numbers.

fc
    These are the old numbers for basis of comparison.

2013-2016 Specialized Enduro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Specialized Enduro-p5pb11175671.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    Here are the new numbers. Observations?2017 Specialized Enduro-screen-shot-2016-08-12-10.17.23-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    Here it is:

2017 Specialized Enduro first ride - Mtbr.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Specialized Enduro-harookz_endurolaunch_7456.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    the frame only option looks nice... love it

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here are the new numbers. Observations?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 10.17.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	1087966
    29er has been compromised to fit 6fattie wheels, very disappointing. Maybe it can be fixed with offset shock bushing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You won't be buying one.

The rear end is too short.

Also because of BB on the 29er (too high), reach (too short) and 51mm fork offset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

We have the specs here in New Zealand

https://specialized.com/nz/en-au/bikes/mountain/enduro

The S Works has Ohlins front and rear.
    The Expert is replaced by the Pro Carbon with Ohlins at the rear and Rockshox fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Here are the new numbers. Observations?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 10.17.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	1087966
    A few comments on the geometry: Specialized Enduro 2017 ? Here it is - WheelSizeAgnostic

Main points:

- Reach has only increased minimally
    - BB is high (especially considering they are using 170mm cranks)
    - BB drop is a lot lower compared to Stumpy
    - Chain stays pretty much the same
    - Lower stack
    - Seat angle supports using longer forks
    - 650b model geo chart lists BB for 650x2.3 and 650x2.6 tires
    - 29 model geo chart lists BB for 29x2.3, 650x3 and 650x2.8 tire sizes

IMO, it becomes obvious how 27.5+ has been causing uncertainties which are harmful when designing products that are supposed to last 3+ model years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is there an Error in XL Geo?

Spesh states the following for the XL:

Stack 636mm
    Reach 470mm
    ETT 625mm
    STA 75 degrees (I'm taking it to be effective and not actual)

If I minus Reach from ETT I get 155 (the horizontal distance from the BB to the seat tube at stack height). If I put 155 and 636 into a right angle triangle calculation then the ESTA is 76.3 degrees.

If I put 636 and 75 degrees into a right angle triangle calculation then then the ETT needs to be 640.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You won't be buying one.

Also because of BB on the 29er (too high), reach (too short) and 51mm fork offset.
    That BB is really high I wonder if that is a mistake in the sheet?

Fx1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Is it just me or are those colour schemes really horrible?

The x frame also doesn't look as good as last year...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by bliz2z View Post
    That BB is really high I wonder if that is a mistake in the sheet?
    A YT Capra's BB drop is 6.3mm. 650b Enduro is 10.5mm (from last year's 2.0mm).

Canyon Strive's BB height is 340 (360mm in climb mode). Knolly Delirium's BB height is 354mm (345mm low).

The old Remedy 29's BB was 350mm (359mm high). The Slash 29's BB is 345mm (352mm high).
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quick impressions and comparisons of the 2017 with my 2015 Sworks Enduro 29:

1. The new frame is not as good looking--poor color choices and skinnying down of the x-wing.
    2. Swat door is awesome
    3. Chainstays, bb height remain the same (+- 1-2mm). I wonder if the extra deg of head angle is acheieved from the new Lyrix fork.
    4. Eagle 1x12 is nice, would like to see SRAM's new wireless shifter
    5. Love the new all carbon rear triangle--finally
    6. Would like to know the weight for comparisons sake

Overall, they hit on a winner back in 2013 with current geometry and have stuck to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and I love that.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You won't be buying one.

What's wrong with a 51mm offset fork? I actually wish susp fork offsets were higher, so HAs can drop to 65 without feeling like the bike needs to go fast to "come alive". The mech trail # is the important one, and 107mm is on the slow/lazy side. I'd prefer if it were under 100mm, personally, for an all-rounder. So a 60mm offset would fix this bike for me...

I'm assuming people are wanting less, due to being sold on the Geometron media coverage? A 46mm offset would push this close to a DH's bike's trail (~112, compared to 118 on the Demo). I suppose if you want your bike to steer like a DH bike, maybe because you've spent a lot of time on one and are so used to it that you want to get that feeling back, this would be a way to achieve that, but I don't doubt that it'd kill the bike's fun factor at lower speeds.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    USA site is live

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...n/trail/enduro

Confirmed that 650b models are shipping with 2.60" tires in the states. Easy enough to switch to something narrower though.

Fx1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It's pretty crap that only the 29er comes with the nice forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I wish they had some more interesting colors. I guess black and various shades of gray are the new black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    What's wrong with a 51mm offset fork? I actually wish susp fork offsets were higher, so HAs can drop to 65 without feeling like the bike needs to go fast to "come alive". The mech trail # is the important one, and 107mm is on the slow/lazy side. I'd prefer if it were under 100mm, personally, for an all-rounder. So a 60mm offset would fix this bike for me...

I'm assuming people are wanting less, due to being sold on the Geometron media coverage? A 46mm offset would push this close to a DH's bike's trail (~112, compared to 118 on the Demo). I suppose if you want your bike to steer like a DH bike, maybe because you've spent a lot of time on one and are so used to it that you want to get that feeling back, this would be a way to achieve that, but I don't doubt that it'd kill the bike's fun factor at lower speeds.
    A lot of riders have complained about the head angle, and a part of those also found that the bike was not stable enough at speed, most of them pointing to the chain stays and some of them to the fork offset. JCL is one of the people arguing the E29 should have both longer chain stays and a slacker head angle with less fork offset IIRC. My post was directed at him, implying that there are more reasons for him not to buy it than just the chain stays.

My personal issue with the E29 was the BB most of all, and they haven't fixed that for me with the 2017 model. I did that myself with the 650b yoke.

I guess we'll see people experimenting with 650b yokes etc. on the 2017 soon enough.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Disastrous BB height for the E29. I guess that's what happens when you design a 29" to also work with 650b+. Head angle too steep, reach hardly changed. Oh well.

Trek wins.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Seems like whenever Specialize "redesigns" their Enduro bike it looks the same as the past few years' designs.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Don't forget short rear end
    Actually that Trek has basically same BB height (same in high mode a bit lower in low) with 15 mm less travel.

I personally like new enduro specs very much - and I ride my current one with 650b link - that is extra low.
    The trick is to embrace 27 plus - I needed one good demo ride. The only thing missing was rear travel (it was stumpy 6fattie). With 3.0 tire for backcountry 2.8 for park this new bike will be scary capable. My sprained thumb need to heal first though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.... even if I fix up a 2.6 tires on to the E29, the bb height is still higher than my current 6fattie with the 3.0 tires.

The E29 comes in S size now, which kicked up my interest as I'm only 5'4", hopefully the S size frame don't lose too much of the X brace due to smaller frame. I see that the stack is also lower than the 6fattie which will comes in handy for me too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post

I'm on a current E29 and it works awesome for my local riding. My local riding is rolling slower technical terrain and the E29 has dramatically upped my confidence on drops and rolls. I travel a few times a year and get to do some faster gravity riding on it. For 50% of my riding less bike would be fine and I've thought about going Stumpy 29 but I fear giving up the short stays and I think the lower BB would be a hinderence at times on our tech climbs. You seem to know your **** with how the geometry changes will effect the ride characteristics of the new E29. Do you think it perform at least on par with the current model on slower tech terrain? The added suspension and slacker HA have me thinking it might be too much bike for me? Thanks for you thoughts on this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Dang being 6'2 kinda hard to decide between large and xl, was on a large 2014 enduro and it was a bit small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So I know I'm sweating the small stuff but......

Obviously a Blue frame option in the launch pictures, as well as listed in my dealers computer this week( mrn blu/ blk)......but not listed anywhere on any model on the new webpage?

Fx1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by loopsb View Post
    So I know I'm sweating the small stuff but......

Obviously a Blue frame option in the launch pictures, as well as listed in my dealers computer this week( mrn blu/ blk)......but not listed anywhere on any model on the new webpage?
    There is a blue and black model on UK site

Grand Master Jedi
    Disastrous BB height for the E29. I guess that's what happens when you design a 29" to also work with 650b+. Head angle too steep, reach hardly changed. Oh well.

Trek wins.
    Interesting that this is such a common sentiment on here.

Personally I think these numbers look great because I intend to ride this as an everyday trail bike on some very 'old school' New England trails. The BB is quite low for that, but I think manageable if I am careful.

Not everyone is going to use this as a park bike, and I think SBI was trying to maintain some balance with this geometry.

The new Trek Slash 29 has similar geo for similar reasons (ability to pedal through rock gardens and technical terrain). I think the BB height is unrelated to travel, because at some point the BB is so low that pedal strikes happen early in the travel anyway.

I like this in 29r form, though I'm not sure I like the specc'd components. I may buy the frame set and build it (I like the Trek Slash 29 kit however)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Many people want an uncompromised 29" Enduro race bike rather than some 650b+\29" franken-trailbike. A 13mm higher BB than the Stumpy? 5mm shorter rear centre? Who gives a damn how the thing pedals, it's ALL about how it corners, and BB height has a massive influence in cornering stability.

The bike should have a 340mm BB height with 29x2.4" and come with custom 165mm XO1 cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Many people want an uncompromised 29" Enduro race bike rather than some 650b+\29" franken-trailbike. A 13mm higher BB than the Stumpy? 5mm shorter rear centre? Who gives a damn how the thing pedals, it's ALL about how it corners, and BB height has a massive influence in cornering stability.

The bike should have a 340mm BB height with 29x2.4" and come with custom 165mm XO1 cranks.
    I agree with all this. I had an order in for a Pro carbon before the details dropped, heavily considering cancelling and going for a Slash instead.

mtbr member
    The base model, the 650B Comp comes with 2.6" tires, or in the US 3.0". Which weigh 970g/1100g. Seems rather heavy to me? Like DH heavy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm annoyed about the compromises here as well - that said, at the very worse it appears to have maintained the last models geometry. The BB height is identical the the Slash's in in high setting, and I can't imagine riding in that setting on anything but lift serviced terrain. I guess that's what it's for, but like I've said before, I need a bike that has more than one trick.

I need more time to compare the geometry - it looks like I may have moved from a medium for last year to a large this year, but beyond that (and the dumb SWAT thing) I'm pretty happy.

Does anyone know the secret to getting a real test ride? Test the Best is never updated, and they never reply to emails. I'm planning on a due diligence ride on a Slash, but I suspect that will be fairly easy to get my hands on.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber

Deere Rider
    The effective (real) reach has actually DECREASED on the 2017.

Take the XL for example. The published reach number on the geo charts is larger than last year's bike. However, the stack height has dropped by an inch! If you do a little geometry calculating on the 2017 bike to bring the stack height even with the old model (like adding a bunch of spacers under the stem)...the reach is actually 0.1" SHORTER.

The old model XL E29 was already too short on reach. Now they've made it even worse. I thought Specialized was one of the few companies that really understood reach and stack for tall riders. So much for that thought.

This bike was so close... Instead they shortened the reach when it needed to grow longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just wish I can still see the X in the frame cross brace if I need a Size Small frame..... been waiting for a size S for the longest time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's the other way around. The lower is stack the father to the front you have to bend.
    I am 6'5'' and I have to put lowest rise bar available on XL E29 - and still it's significantly (like inch) higher than downhill bikes I used to own or rent.

Grand Master Jedi

I agree that a lower BB is better for cornering, but if Specialized were to put the BB super low (like it is on the Evil Wreckoning) it would greatly limit the market appeal of this bike. Far fewer people go hardcore Enduro racing than do ride recreationally on the weekend... I think you are right, a lower BB would make this bike faster under race conditions, but your average dentist who is buying this bike for his weekend fun rides isn't going to like it (or know how to take advantage of it).

I remember reading that the Trek Slash 29 BB height was actually RAISED based on feedback from team members who wanted to be able to pedal through chundery sections of trail, so I think even at the pro-level there is a limit to how low a BB can be before its a hindrance.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    It's the other way around. The lower is stack the father to the front you have to bend.
    I am 6'5'' and I have to put lowest rise bar available on XL E29 - and still it's significantly (like inch) higher than downhill bikes I used to own or rent.
    Uhhh...As you come up the fork angle of 66 the reach gets shorter (this is what happens when you try and take the '17's numbers to match the older bike). When you go down the fork angle of 66 the reach gets longer (this is what happens when you take the old bike to match the '17's numbers).

Either way the new bike is 0.1" shorter in reach at the old bike's stack height or the old bike is roughly 0.1" longer in reach at the new bike's stack height. You really need to do this calculation to compare apples to apples.

Now, this may or may not matter if you are flexible on your handlebar height. I like the tops of my handlebars at 1-1.5" higher than the top of my saddle. It sounds like you prefer a more XC styled ride with the bars lower than the saddle...this is just a guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I liked the stack on previous models. When paired with a shorter stem it didn't drop the bars too low which is an issue I've had with Trek.

The reviews I've seen say the new version pedals well so I'm wondering what they attribute this too. Can't be the slackened out HTA or the slightly longer chainstays. Just the STA and lower stack height. Though I would think increasing reach and slackening HTA should make climbing worse.

Fx1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    All the arm chair Geo experts really should just ride the ****ing bike and see how it rides. It will likely ride better than the person on it is ever capable of anyway

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I suppose that you have ridden it so please enlighten us. Anyway it will be a good bike for sure but it won't be as a breakthrough as it was the previous 29er version.

Rocks belong
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned the new Enduro will have a threaded, BSA bottom bracket!
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I understand your calculations all right, I am talking about body position on bike. May be I am kind of freak (I guess I am with 38 inch inseam) but my saddle is few inches (like 5 or 6) higher than handlebar. Low handlebar - IMHO - is just so good when descending. I would need chopper-high bar to get above my saddle at climbing height, no fun
    It all just demonstrates that mountain bike designed both for aggressive descending and climbing is ultimate exercise in compromises...
    I personally like new numbers very much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    I understand your calculations all right, I am talking about body position on bike. May be I am kind of freak (I guess I am with 38 inch inseam) but my saddle is few inches (like 5 or 6) higher than handlebar. Low handlebar - IMHO - is just so good when descending. I would need chopper-high bar to get above my saddle at climbing height, no fun
    It all just demonstrates that mountain bike designed both for aggressive descending and climbing is ultimate exercise in compromises...
    I personally like new numbers very much.
    Nobody is saying that low handlebars are bad, all they are saying is that if you sent the bars on the new Enduro to the same height as you used to run on the old one then the reach is shorter. Which to a lot of people is a step backwards.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast