Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2017 Epic

89K views 236 replies 49 participants last post by  phlegm 
#1 ·
any information on the 2017 epic? Clearly it's pretty early to look for info on it, but the 2017 Enduro thread seems to have some good info already; so i was hoping to get some color on epic as well. thx

#4 ·
Seems like its time...but then again...what are they really going to improve/change? Its a pretty tried-and-true design at this point. Maybe they can make it low/slack/#enduro..oh wait..wrong bike.

#7 ·
Well, it was beaten to death in the Stumpy thread, but there's a stiffness and weight penalty. I doubt anyone would notice the stiffness - I wouldn't - but I'm not keen on adding ~ 1/2 lb to the frame.

That amount of weight is probably negligible on a Trail platform like the Stumpy FSR, but it starts to run counter to the theme of their XC racing platform bikes.

#15 ·
Interesting. If true, I wonder if it will be more like Trek's Re:aktiv. That system is still young, but it may be less trouble prone than the Brain.

There were some cold weather issues addressed last year, but it is a more simple approach to shock control since it is all self-contained.

Edit: Upon further thought, I wonder if they will go electronic with the newer Fox stuff that Cunningham demoed this summer?

#23 ·
I haven't heard anything. I'm really hoping it pops up soon, with the olympics coming up and all. You'd figure they would for sure be on it at the olympics, with all of the riders they will have there... like Sagan...

Even though he may not medal, he's a HUGE name to have moving over to the mountain bike race that will bring a lot of attention.

#28 ·
I agree... the aggressive geo of the current frame is great!
As far as geometry, I dont know enough to even speculate as to how they could improve it... but i'm sure they will.
I figure they will add boost spacing and tweak the brains as well.
The current brain is WAY better than the 2011-2013 iteration, So I assume this one will be even better.

Hopefully they dont do the "aluminum rear triangle on everything but Sworks" thing again.
I understand only having a carbon front triangle on some models for pricing.. but getting rid of the carbon chainstay on the expert models was lame.

#29 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire
The current geometry is useless for anything other than plodding around on Californian singletrack. The days of road bike geo and sizing on XCO bikes is over. The Brain is junk and always has been. Add a lockout or just a little more antisquat and save a ton of weight.

With things like the above appearing on the market, twitchy, unstable, XC bikes are hopefully going to be a thing of the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.