mtbr member
    Jun 2017

2017 camber comp 29 - rear brake line routing

So i've been using my shiny new camber on the trails a bit with a mix of brakes... my own xt m8000 front brake, and the factory supplied 506 on the rear. The front was easy to swap and my existing hose line was just the right length. The rear line on my XT wasn't long enough though (new ones on order) and I couldn't reuse the factory lines since the 506 doesnt have the banjo connection the XT caliper needs.

That said, I noticed that for some reason, Specialized ran the rear brake line external to the frame. Not sure I really like it running exposed on the underside of the downtube like that, and I'm pretty sure there are unused channels in the frame for it, but wanted to see if anyone more familiar with the frame knew for sure.

If nothing else, I'm wondering if there's a reason they ran the lines externally and if I should just stick to that for said reasons. The new hose is gonna be here this afternoon so I'm anxious (and sadly, at work, or I'd just look the bike over and figure it out the old fashioned way) to learn what I can ahead of time.

Suffice it to say, internal would be cleaner looking and protect some of the hose from the rocky world I ride around in in Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It's an externally routed hose. I've had mine snag on sticks and recently smashed mine between the bottom bracket and a rock, which caused it to develop a leak and need to be replaced. I'd rather have the external routed cables for the most part, as it's less of a hassle to maintain. (I refuse to wrestle with Spec's internal routing.) That said, I wouldn't have had to maintain it if it were routed internally, but I don't know if that is possible. Maybe there's a FD port (there are no channels per se) on the frame that could be used if you have a 1x setup, but I don't recall seeing one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Are we talking carbon or alloy frame?
    The carbon front triangle is supposed to be identical to my Stumpjumper - which definitely has internal routing for all lines (brake, 2x shifting, seatpost).

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    It's alloy, and 2x11. I recall seeing ports by the headset available (well, port, singular) but haven't had the chance to look closer since picking it up. Was too busy riding it through the desert =)

I'm okay with putting up with some headache initially if it can be hidden away, but the fact that the factory chose to not only put it external, but even engineer in the external routing attachment points makes me pause for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just confirmed in one of the few photos I've got it the bike. One port in use on the left side, and 2 ports (one open) on the right side. Can't make out anything farther down the frame in my crappy photos though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yay for the owner's manual online... so for some reason, it seems the external routing is intentional in the alloy version. No idea why they did it differently from the carbon. Seems like they should've been able to route the rear brake line internally, but it doesn't appear meant to be:

2017 camber comp 29 - rear brake line routing-routing.png

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    As I recall those ports are only big enough for 4mm shift housing used in shifters and command post. Brake lines (and hydraulic lines for reverb) are too big without dremel modification.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.