DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2016 Camber Comp 29 vs 2016 Camber Comp Carbon 29

Im looking at these two models for a new trail bike:2016 Camber Comp 29 vs 2016 Camber Comp Carbon 29. The comp is $2500 and the comp carbon is $3800, quite a bit of difference in price. The upgraded comp carbon adds carbon front triangle, 1x11 and dropper post. Are these upgrades worth the extra $1300 dollars? Ive never ridden carbon fiber before nor have I ever used a dropper post so I have no idea. Ive also never ridden 1x11 but would like to try its simplicity over a 2x10. Just wondering if the upgrades of the comp carbon are woth the extra $1300?

MCF
    mtbr member

Bringing alive old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    Im looking at these two models for a new trail bike:2016 Camber Comp 29 vs 2016 Camber Comp Carbon 29. The comp is $2500 and the comp carbon is $3800, quite a bit of difference in price. The upgraded comp carbon adds carbon front triangle, 1x11 and dropper post. Are these upgrades worth the extra $1300 dollars? Ive never ridden carbon fiber before nor have I ever used a dropper post so I have no idea. Ive also never ridden 1x11 but would like to try its simplicity over a 2x10. Just wondering if the upgrades of the comp carbon are woth the extra $1300?
    I would like to know the exact same thing....also, being 6'4" ~210lbs any concern with durability of the carbon and is an XL going to be big enough. If not, I am stuck with the Comp XXL. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF View Post
    I would like to know the exact same thing....also, being 6'4" ~210lbs any concern with durability of the carbon and is an XL going to be big enough. If not, I am stuck with the Comp XXL. Thanks!
    Camber XL is one of the bigger XLs out there. I am 6'3.5" and it is plenty big.

Check this thread:

Mountain Bikes for the Very Tall

Does NOT know it all!
    I have aound 2,500 miles on my 2014 Camber Comp Carbon and the frame has held up fine.

My riding buddy has a 2014 Camber Comp and we compared our bikes and beside mine having a lighter frame, I got better brakes, a better fork and shock, better derailleurs, and better shifters.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the two 2016 models you're looking at, but check componant by componant to see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    As you say, most stuff are the same except for frame (carbon, dropper post and 1x11.
    The comp carbon is alot for the money... Read a couple of reviews and stuff. I love my bike. SWAT is pretty neat. Who needs a saddle bag?

Still the same shitty heavy wheels as the camber comp though.

SPecialized camber comp carbon in large are out of stock in whole europe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks guys!
    Seems to be the fsr manual for 2015 thats coming to use... Also the one supplied with my 2016 bike. (https://media.specialized.com/suppor...0000040894.pdf ) Just remember its 120mm travel, not 100 for 2016
    Although, the front fork doesnt seem to be covered in the fsr manual...
    Always read and heard you should start off with 25% sag but if you run like a 100mm stem (xc bike) you hang over the bar more so I guess 25% is more correct with a long stem.
    As said. Having a hard time to dial in the revelation rct3 fork. But I will try with 20% sag and rebound

About the rear shock: its 53mm(measured my travel to 48 btw) so 20% sag is 10,6mm... 25% is 13,25mm and 30% is 15,9 so I guess I should stiffen my rear shock up a bit. Currently running 16mm sag. The autosag function gave me like 35% sag... Dont trust it

Thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF View Post
    6'4 and 215# here. I am FINALLY able to ride a 29er with just a 75mm stem. All other bikes that are defined as "XL" don't even come close. I did a full on spreadsheet of all of the Stack/reach/ST angles and the Camber was as close as they come to ideal for me. The reach was untouchable. Bike fits like a glove and makes up for the MEH! Brain shock on my Expert.

As far as carbon vs. Aluminum goes, Santa Cruz did an interesting video where they did a front end crush test in a shop lab. The Carbon was many times stronger. Different brand but may still apply.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi, I was about to ask the same question, the components are similar the difference is mainly in the carbon frame..

Will be interesting to know the weight difference between carbon and alluminium frame!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    If you compare the difference is: dropper vs no dropper, 1x11 vs 2x10 also...
    Juat not the frame