mtbr member
    May 2008

2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo or Enduro Comp...

My 1st Specialized bike was the 2013 Camber Comp 29, loved the bike but I had some size issues, I'm 6'1, long torso/short legs, and comfort after long rides or riding several days in a row became a real issue. Came to find out that the geometry of the Camber probably wasn't right for me, LBS let me demo an Enduro and the Stumpy Comp Evo and there was a massive difference.

After a great deal of consideration, I decided on the the Enduro Comp 29. Get to the shop, and the Enduro is out of stock, and back ordered til June or July they say. I checked with a couple of other LBS and got the same answer, so I let my impulsiveness get the best of me and went home with a Stumpy FSR EVO comp 29. I have yet to even ride the bike, 2 days later I get a call from a different shop, they were able to get the Enduro for me.

So my question, the shop I got the bike from won't take the Stumpy back without a ludicrous restocking fee, but I had my heart set on the Enduro. Is it really worth my time and energy to try and sell the Stumpy myself, which I will obviously lose money on, to get the Enduro? The command post on the Stumpy intrigues me, but as I haven't even had the chance to try it, not that much of a loss to me, never having ridden one before. The component sets on both bikes are almost identical save for the suspension, more travel on the Enduro, and no dropper seat. The shop will hold the Enduro for me til 6 pm, I can't decide so I thought I'd ask for some advice...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No, at this point it probably isn't worth your time/loss of money to sell the SJ. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you made a mistake buying a bike you weren't 100% sold on. Happens all the time. Although, had it been a Trek purchased at one of their flagship stores, you could have returned the unridden SJ and exchanged it for the Enduro.

All that being said, I'd keep the SJ...especially if it will be your one and only bike. There is very little that the Enduro will do that the SJ can't, and if that 5% is what you'll be riding the majority of the time you wouldn't have considered the SJ to begin with.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been looking online, the MSRP for the 2014 SJ Comp Evo 29 is $3300, there are none listed on here on MTBR, ebay, craigslist, backpages, used that I can find, so I just don't even know what to estimate I could sell it for. I got a decent deal on it, so If I could get around $2800 for it, I could live with that, but I'm afraid it would go for much less than that. All I can find listed are older models, that have been upgraded, and they are only around $2000. Argh. I really want the Enduro, like I said, my impulsiveness got me into this mess, I might let it get me into a deeper mess. Is $2800 an totally unreasonable expectation?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't pay you $2800 for a bike I could purchase for a few 100 more direct from a store.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yea, I agree, ugh. Just thinking too though, the proficient biker, with decent mechanical skills might jump at $500 off MSRP for a unused bran-new bike. I know I car loses a lot of value the second you drive off the lot, how much value does a bike lose? Even if I find that person, say I sell it on ebay, still have to factor in their how much ebay takes, plus shipping if they are out of state, and on and on. You are probably right, not worth the effort and going to end up spending more than I would like to make the swap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the sj29 evo is a rad bike and can tackle just about anything out there. I demoed the sj and enduro back to back and it was hard to tell the difference without looking down. The fit is nearly identical too. Does your terrain really warrant the enduro or what was it about the bike that you liked more?

So you'd sell the sj for 2800 (optimistic) and then buy an enduro for 3500 plus 250ish tax and then need to get a dropper for another 300 bucks... that puts you at over a grand loss just to swap bikes at the same level. Up to you whether it's worth it. If it were me that $1200 plus would be nice for a bike trip, upgrades down the road, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There isn't much that you can do on an Enduro that you couldn't do on a Stumpy Evo. Also, dropper post is worth every dollar, if you end up with the Enduro I would budget some $ to get a dropper post for it.

p.s. I ride a Stumpy EVO 29

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks guys, I'm going to stick with the Stumpy, and be happy with it. The terrain, its pretty rough and rocky, so I think I could put the additional travel to use, but I would end up buying a dropper, and... yea, would just be a big waste of money. Thanks for your time and advice!

mtbr member
    How about this...At least try and sell the Stumpy. Advertize as brand spankin' new, run Craigslist and the Bay for a week or two, and see if you get any bites. I'm a cheap bastard, and saving 5-6 hund on a new Evo would appeal to me big time. And if you have the original receipt to give with the bike even better.

If you get no bites (and this is THE best time of the year to sell with spring around the corner) then rip your heart out on the Evo and don't look back.
    Santa Fe, NM