Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That XL makes those 29ers look a bit smaller! Thanks for the brake noise info Psychout. I just ordered my SJ Comp Evo 29er, I'll report back if the issue has been resolved mid production run by Specialized.

mtbr member
    I have gone through three bottom bracket bracket bearings in 500 miles this year. Currently have an Enduro brand now. Will see if it will last longer than stock. If you're getting noise, see if crank has side to side play. If so, the plastic preloaded on left side of crank needs to be tightened. I use a hammer and screwdriver to tighten. Turn preloaded clockwise until no more play. If crank goes up and down, probably bearings bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi guys just got my stumpy 3 weeks ago and yes I have the same issue with the rear brake vibration. I'm in South CA and my LBS guys are awesome here @ Montrose Bike Shop. I noticed it on the very first ride, actually on the test ride. I talk to my LBS guys and right away they contacted specialized. So at first specialized told them that they were going to replace the entire rear suspension to carbon, but now specialized told them to replace the entire braking system to Shimano XT. And if that doesn't solve it then they'll go ahead with the suspension. I'll keep u posted hopefully done with my bike today

mtbr member
    i thought if you removed the plastic clip on the rear triangle this fixed it?

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwards82 View Post
    Has anybody had any problems with the command post losing air pressure? I have had a heavy weekend riding and the seat post has stopped working. I have charged the post but it works for a bit then loses the pressure.
    Make sure the top collar is tight by trying to turn it clockwise (when looking from above).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just picked up a new FSR Comp last week. Took the time to do the break in procedure for the C1's (50 sprint and stops) and they worked great on the first trip. First impressions on the brakes was they don't grab as hard as the SLX's on the Elite I tested, but they are more linear. No noise either. Bike is incredible, and Rock and Road through in the dropper which worked perfect, thanks Chris and Brian for the help. Had to do the auto sag twice to get the setting right, think I was on a down slope on the first try and it set it too low. Now I need to dial in the rebound, started on the slow side, going to speed it up this weekend weather permitting. Went with the side facing bottle holder from specialized, which helps in the tight space, even on a large frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrcer View Post
    Just picked up a new FSR Comp last week. Took the time to do the break in procedure for the C1's (50 sprint and stops) and they worked great on the first trip. First impressions on the brakes was they don't grab as hard as the SLX's on the Elite I tested, but they are more linear. No noise either. Bike is incredible, and Rock and Road through in the dropper which worked perfect, thanks Chris and Brian for the help. Had to do the auto sag twice to get the setting right, think I was on a down slope on the first try and it set it too low. Now I need to dial in the rebound, started on the slow side, going to speed it up this weekend weather permitting. Went with the side facing bottle holder from specialized, which helps in the tight space, even on a large frame.
    Post a pic Socalrcer!

The Hutch
    Is this Brake issue only in the Comps? or does the experts evo fsr's also have this issue?
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is this a problem found only in the 29er version? I'm about to receive a 2014 in the mail but its the 26 inch version. Curious to see if this will happen. I will definitely take the time to bed in the brakes properly to try and prevent this
    jump for show,corner for dough

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Same thing happening here in Oz - had my Stumpy now for about 6 weeks and same noise/shudder in the rear - took it in to LBS and they were fully aware of the problem (said they had already had 3 other people come in with the same symptoms) - they were very helpful and as a temporary fix swapped the 180mm rotor to a 160mm and said they would contact Specialized and get the new Carbon part on order (only down side, it may take up to 6-8 weeks)......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review-stumpy-1.jpg  

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review-stumpy-2.jpg  

Last edited by C Willsy; 01-12-2014 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i have a 2014 expert 29 evo,no problems with the brakes or weird sounds(avid 7 trail big improvement over the avid 5 r from last year),but i have to say that i had last yearīs 2013 stumpy 26 evo comp and with that bike i had some brake issue like gobbling sounds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    just picked up my 14 fsr comp evo today cant wait to ride it tommorrow

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have been riding my 2014 stumpy comp evo 26" for about 3months now. I also had the brake vibration issue and took it to the bike shop I bought it from in Pasadena can and they said they did some work and fixed it. I took it out to the parking lot and in three tries was able to produce the same vibration issue.
    I then did what I read on the forums...which was so unscrew the screw holding the rear brake cable to the chainstay and the prob was solved.

The brakes are decent, not a lot of bite or power but smooth and quiet

Funny thing is my friend has the same bike but the 2013 model and does not have this issue. Im assuming the formula brakes produce lots of vibration or something is different in the manufacturing of the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well my LBS has come up trumps, they said january and here it is! Finally got my 2014 Evo 29 and itīs amazing! My only complaint is I find the front plate a bit small, am going to put a 36 on.

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review-20140117_104438_copy.jpg

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rtBiker View Post
    Well my LBS has come up trumps, they said january and here it is! Finally got my 2014 Evo 29 and itīs amazing! My only complaint is I find the front plate a bit small, am going to put a 36 on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140117_104438_Copy.jpg 
Views:	1585 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	863071
    Yep go with a big plate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review-sj_fsr_comp_evo_29.jpg
    Took delivery of my '14 SJ FSR Comp EVO 29 in mid December and am absolutely loving it and wanted to give you all my 2 cents but I also wanted some input from you all on a few things.

The brakes: Initially the brakes were absolute garbage as they were super squishy and were very under-powered. After adjusting the reach out on them and getting a couple rides in they seem to have decent power now but I still have to squeeze them about half way in before they start to actuate. Is this normal? I took them in and after a month and a half Formula is finally starting to warranty them. Apparently there was a faulty o-ring or something so we'll see if they are any better when I get them back. Let's hope so. That being said, I haven't had any problems with any vibrating or noise coming from either end.

The "auto-sag" seems to be more of a gimmick than an actually usable thing. The auto-sag should work properly regardless of how much I weigh but it keeps setting it too soft. I made sure that I pumped it up 50psi above my 200lb weight but it keeps going too soft. I ended up putting an extra 20 psi in there and it seems to be much better.

Has anyone considered putting a shorter stem on there? I've got one buddy who says that doing so is a bad decision as Specialized chose that length for a reason. He says that if you shorten the stem then you'll need to move the seat back and that's going to negatively affect the handling/climbing abilities of the bike. I've got another buddy who thinks there's nothing wrong with it at all. Just whatever feels good...
    Reason why I'm thinking about getting a shorter stem is on steep downhills (even with the dropper post all the way down) I still feel like I've got a little too much weight over the front end and it's a little sketchy. How say you all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Dont think its an issue running a shorter stem I know lots of people that make the change. Front end may feel a little less stable on climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review

Go with whatever stem length is comfortable for you. Tell buddy one he is wrong and owes buddy two a beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pickup a couple of dirt cheap stems from your bike shop. Test to see what works best for you then order a nice stem. I got an xl and im running a 70mm stem. I got a syntace megaforce 2 stem, even comes with ti bolts! I can tell the difference in stiffness from my stock stem.
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review-dscn0078.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Pickup a couple of dirt cheap stems from your bike shop. Test to see what works best for you then order a nice stem. I got an xl and im running a 70mm stem. I got a syntace megaforce 2 stem, even comes with ti bolts! I can tell the difference in stiffness from my stock stem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0078.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	867233
    That's a good idea. The stock stem is 90mm and "buddy 2" is telling me to get a 35mm stem which seems really short. I was thinking more along the lines of a 50(ish)mm stem but didn't want to get one and realize it either was too short or not short enough.
    I'm 5'10" and have a large frame.

mtbr member

I started with a 50mm stem but I'm now running 35mm. The steering is much quicker with the 35mm, switchbacks/tight spaces are easier and the front end has more pop. The only downside so far is the front end has jackknifed a couple of times when I've lost it going into tight muddy bends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post

I started with a 50mm stem but I'm now running 35mm. The steering is much quicker with the 35mm, switchbacks/tight spaces are easier and the front end has more pop. The only downside so far is the front end has jackknifed a couple of times when I've lost it going into tight muddy bends.
    Thanks for the input.
    My reservation is that the bike is perfect at all times other than steeper downhills so I'm worried that it'd get too light at other times. I'll probably start with a 50mm and go from there so that it's not such a huge change.

That being said, have you gone with wider bars than what comes stock? The wider bars would kind of adjust for the shorter stem, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rtBiker View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what's a front plate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review

Has anyone looked at trying to figure out a way to re-rout the shifter cables out from under the bottom bracket? I hate that it is routed the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the plate is the chainring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast