Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    Has anyone looked at trying to figure out a way to re-rout the shifter cables out from under the bottom bracket? I hate that it is routed the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I've seen a few people do a reroute of the cables, but it generally introduces more bends to the line, and you want to be wary of how you run them so you don't start wearing the frame from movement.

That being said, I've had 3 spec bikes since 2008 with routing under the BB and never encountered any problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thought I'd come back to give an update on my Comp Evo. The bike is still awesome but I haven't been out at all this winter, sadly. The rear brakes are still very loud and vibrate the whole bike like I originally posted. No adjustments or application of solution provided a permanent fix.

After hearing of others' success of getting the rear seat stay switched to carbon under warranty, last week I finally took it back into my LBS where I bought it to get this remedied. They called in and Specialized confirmed it was a known issue but the carbon seat stays are on back order for a couple of months. Bummer. Good to know that it will be fixed though. I'm wondering if they revised the manufacture of the bike to solve this issue since the first run. Anyone with a recently purchased Comp Evo 29er want to report how their rear brakes are working?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Scotty, I took delivery of my SJ FSR Compe EVO 29 in the middle of December and I don't have that braking problem that you're mentioning.
    My brakes work "normal" (like crap but quiet). I haven't had any vibrating or squealing problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Scotty, I took delivery of my SJ FSR Compe EVO 29 in the middle of December and I don't have that braking problem that you're mentioning.
    My brakes work "normal" (like crap but quiet). I haven't had any vibrating or squealing problems.
    Thanks, Peter. I've actually been pretty happy with the braking power when the rear isn't vibrating... but I've never been on anything like Shimano XTs either so perhaps ignorance is bliss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Scotty, You're probably right on the ignorance is bliss part. I had XO's on my other bike that allowed you to set the contact point on the brake so you can decide where in the lever throw it starts to engage. I had it set all the way out so I wasn't wasting any throw. That's my main complaint with the C1's. I have to squeeze the lever half way in before it starts to engage. The braking power is acceptable though.

mtbr member
    I'm just starting build on my Stumpy EVO 9r. Pretty much sorted on the build, one thing I'm unsure of is the fork length? Defiantly going with pikes as I think they are the obvious choice but do I stick with stock 140's or stick 150's on it? Will the 150 ruin a sorted bike or doubt the difference would be obvious?

As anyone gone the same?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review

Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    I'm just starting build on my Stumpy EVO 9r. Pretty much sorted on the build, one thing I'm unsure of is the fork length? Defiantly going with pikes as I think they are the obvious choice but do I stick with stock 140's or stick 150's on it? Will the 150 ruin a sorted bike or doubt the difference would be obvious?

As anyone gone the same?
    I just have the stock 140 on there but I have been wanting to up it to 150 somehow. I wouldn't think the 10 extra mm would make much of a difference on the actual ride but the extra length would be nice on bigger drops and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OP, thank you for the review. I'm currently looking at the same bike, along with the Trek Remedy 8. The Enduro Comp 29 is also on my list, but I'm afraid that it might be too much bike for me.

Have you thought that you didn't have enough suspension on the Stumpy? How you like the Revelation fork compared to the Fox Evolution 34 on the Trek?

Girani2486
    Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm considering purchase of either a Camber Evo or Stumpy Evo, so very interested to see this thread on the Stumpy. The guy in the bike shop reckons the stumpy would be too much bike for what i need, since I dont do a great deal of 'gnarly' downhill stuff. However, while he is probably right, I am still very tempted - the Stumpy felt very comfy when i sat on it, and comes with a dropper post plus a better fork than the camber evo, and I do love the tiny bits of downhill that I do ride. Anyway, what i need to know is, would the Stumpy Evo be ok on the flat and uphill sections and slow tight switchbacks or would it just irritate me? I will test-ride both bikes at some point, but any opinions would be appreciated.

FYI I ride in the UK (Cannock).

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    p.s. also curious to know about the Hans Dampf 2.35 clearance. Recently put this tyre on the front of my cheap 29er hardtail, and it now feels like a different bike - amazing grip.

mtbr member
    I've had the stumpy evo 29 for about a year now. I've swapped to XT brakes, hope/stans flow wheels, and race face n.w. 1x10 setup. It's by far the best bike I've had/ridden. It's probably too much bike for me, but I appreciate the extra travel when I really need it. It climbs better than any other bike I've had, hardtails included. No, you will not enjoy tight technical switchbacks on it. It's a big bike, but it does everything else really really well. It's also very forgiving in line choice. If I'm on a flatter easier trail, I'll intentionally take the worst line just to mix it up some.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi All,

I'm on the market for a new bike after riding my HT Trek for the last 10 years. My main riding style is All Mountain, although the bike I currently ride isn't very well fit to it.
    I just rode the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 today and it was amazing. I don't have much experience with either 29, or full suspension. I rode the Cannondale Trigger 3 29 last week and it was a revelation to me. Now that I know what to expect I can compare (a bit) with the stump jumper: 1) Stumpjumper were faster, both DH and Up Hill 2) Cannondale felt like monster truck, Specialized were more refined. 3) Cannondale felt and were heavier, and its noticed.

To the point:
    1) In Israel they sell the Stumpjumper Comp and Comp EVO with a) Front Break: Custom Avid Elixir 5 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed organic pads, HS-1 rotor. S/M: 180mm; L/XL 200mm rotor b) Rear Brake: Custom Avid Elixir 5 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed organic pads, HS-1 rotor. S/M: 160mm; L/XL 180mm rotor c) Custom Avid Elixir 5 R SL, tool-less reach adj.
    I ride the Medium size and didn't feel any problem with the breaks. Maybe they solve it with this difference in components?
    2) I rode the regular Comp and not the EVO. This is really my big question: I like aggressive DH, but also the light weight on the Comp (is EVO heavier?). On the other hand the 3 position seat post is attractive to me. I can't get a test ride with the EVO (was hard to get the comp). Should I go for EVO or settle for the regular comp?

Thanks!
    Shay

mtbr member
    I'd say the EVO. Might be slightly heavy with the dropper, although the post itself seems fairly light. My medium is 29.10 lbs with xpedo spry pedals, X/T brakes, Stan flow rims, Hope hubs, Race Face single ring up front. I removed the F.D. And shifter. I believe in stock trim it was almost 31 lbs, but it rides much lighter than that. Is a big bike that handles incredibly well and absolutely takes punishment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    deleted

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik83 View Post
    Will a Hans Dampf 2.35 be to wide to fit in the rear? Will it rub against the chainstay or front derailleur?
    I put a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 on the rear and I "kind of" had clearance issues. My rear rim was a little tweaked (too tweaked to true) and it would rub on the seat stay under heavier hits. I tried moving the wheel over to keep it from hitting the seat stay and then it started hitting the chain if I was in my little gear up front and the top 2-3 gears in the rear and was going over bumps. Your results may be different than mine.
    I ended up getting a new rim and moved the Minion to the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been monitoring this thread for a while. I bought my Stumpy FSR Evo Comp 29er beginning of May '14. After 2 rides I experienced the rear brake/rear end vibration. I immediately took it back to Evans Cycles. At first I think they were a little dubious, but a combination of copies of this thread and the fact that a tester in MBR magazine had the same problem on his long term bike, meant that they contacted Specialized UK. 4 weeks later (after they had tried new pads, etc. which didn't work) they got approval to fit Formula floating disks. First ride out, although it had improved, the same problem occurred. I phoned Evans, who have now got approval to fit Hope brakes and floating disks and, as soon as the new rear seat stay is available (at Specialized UK HQ but not painted yet!!), I will have that fitted too.

My advice - if you've bought your bike from new, get it resolved under the Specialized Warranty via your bike shop. This is a known issue - they need to sort it out. GREAT bike, but in it's sold as specification, it's not fit for purpose in my opinion. Once it's sorted it's a truly amazing piece of kit.

mtbr member
    Let us know if you get a fix

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So, after 2 weeks with Evans, I get a call to say they can't get the hope brake setup to fit. The carbon seat stay from Specialized UK still won't be ready for another 6+ wks. Decision time. They want to keep me happy ( as I've been very understanding but am getting seriously pi##ed off now). Do I go for a full refund and wait for 2015 bikes to come out or be patient, or buy something else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Specialized were terrible. The carbon seat stay never arrived (or was weeks away). Therefore, I escalated to MD of Evans UK. They stepped up and I've been given a Carbon Expert (for a very small price increase). Result!! New bike is excellent. Worth the wait....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychout View Post
    Hi Brian - ok I spent a solid 4 hours on some very technical trails today with lots of fast downhills. Great news - problem solved 100%. No chattering, vibrations, etc under absolute slamming the rear brakes. Just nice smooth modulation. These Formula C1s are actually very good brakes.

Just a little bit of front and rear brake squeaking but thats solved by a quick wipe down of the discs and they are perfect now.

Tell your LBS to go call Specialized warranty support...I have no idea why LBS's are resisting to fix this issue and Specialized are extremely helpful in resolving any issues. Specialized know exactly what the problem is and the solution.

Good luck and let me know how you guys all go!
    I just want to add that this advice will solve your problem 100%. It is a known problem and Specialized will send your LBS the fix -- a new carbon wrapped seat stay. I bought a new 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp EVO 29er, aluminum frame with Formula C1 brakes (203mm front and 180mm rear), XL size, and had the exact issues described above -- the rear brake screamed under hard braking, and the frame vibrated like it was going to fall apart. I called my LBS (Mike's Bikes of Walnut Creek, CA) and they spoke to Specialized warranty support right away. The part was overnighted, installed, and I was backed on my bike again in two days. It is now running smooth, quiet, and plush like it should.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have just had a new carbon evo frame built up with my parts off another bike. I too had the brake vibration issue with XTR brakes and an Avid rotor. Now I have some Uberbike floating rotors and it seems to have stopped touchwood. Amazing bike !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankermtb View Post
    I just want to add that this advice will solve your problem 100%. It is a known problem and Specialized will send your LBS the fix -- a new carbon wrapped seat stay. I bought a new 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp EVO 29er, aluminum frame with Formula C1 brakes (203mm front and 180mm rear), XL size, and had the exact issues described above -- the rear brake screamed under hard braking, and the frame vibrated like it was going to fall apart. I called my LBS (Mike's Bikes of Walnut Creek, CA) and they spoke to Specialized warranty support right away. The part was overnighted, installed, and I was backed on my bike again in two days. It is now running smooth, quiet, and plush like it should.
    Could you post a photo?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Wink

Hi there. I need some help.
    I want to buy a Stumpjumper Evo 29 2014, and I'm very unsure about the size.
    I'm 5'11 with an inseam of 33.8.
    Specialized Sizing and my specialized dealer recommend size L. But I already ride a
    Specialized Camber with size M. (Reach 419 vs 413 for the M SJ Evo)
    And I'm happy with it so far. Stem length is 3.1 inches.

But if everybody recommend an L, there should be a reason?and I think about giving it a try. It feals not bad on the parking lot. But I'm concerned about how playfull it feels on the trail. i want to use it for aggressive trail riding. What do you think. Is the M much more playfull then the L? I could ride a shorter stem.
    Will I get happy with the L?

Tranks for any help

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor23 View Post
    Hi there. I need some help.
    I want to buy a Stumpjumper Evo 29 2014, and I'm very unsure about the size.
    I'm 5'11 with an inseam of 33.8.
    Specialized Sizing and my specialized dealer recommend size L. But I already ride a
    Specialized Camber with size M. (Reach 419 vs 413 for the M SJ Evo)
    And I'm happy with it so far. Stem length is 3.1 inches.

But if everybody recommend an L, there should be a reason?and I think about giving it a try. It feals not bad on the parking lot. But I'm concerned about how playfull it feels on the trail. i want to use it for aggressive trail riding. What do you think. Is the M much more playfull then the L? I could ride a shorter stem.
    Will I get happy with the L?

Tranks for any help
    Hi - I have a 2014 Stumpy Evo Expert 29er; am 5'11" and chose a large. It fits great. I've ridden my bike around the Forest of Dean and Bike Park Wales in the UK and it was great. I'm pretty sure that the medium would have been too small. One piece of advice - whether you are buying new or 2nd hand, make sure the bike has had the modification to the rear seat-stay. I had huge issues with my original Comp Evo (long story!!), but if you don't have the new part you could get bad vibration from the rear triangle. See some other posts on the subject.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyj View Post
    Hi - I have a 2014 Stumpy Evo Expert 29er; am 5'11" and chose a large. It fits great. I've ridden my bike around the Forest of Dean and Bike Park Wales in the UK and it was great. I'm pretty sure that the medium would have been too small. One piece of advice - whether you are buying new or 2nd hand, make sure the bike has had the modification to the rear seat-stay. I had huge issues with my original Comp Evo (long story!!), but if you don't have the new part you could get bad vibration from the rear triangle. See some other posts on the subject.
    Ok great...thx.
    How do I tell that it has the modification? What is the modification? Carbon seat stays? Or was there a newer version that does not need the modification? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor23 View Post
    Ok great...thx.
    How do I tell that it has the modification? What is the modification? Carbon seat stays? Or was there a newer version that does not need the modification? Thanks
    On the forums people say that it's a carbon seat-stay but this may be just the US - not sure. My one was still ally but I think it's slightly different shape, but the main difference is that on the left side, as you sit on it, there is no bracket for the rear brake cable to connect to. On the old version the cable connects and I think it's this that caused the vibration (according to my LBS). In the UK, Specialized have been pretty good in acknowledging the issue but it take a VERY long time to get it from Taiwan, apparently. Good luck.... :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyj View Post
    On the forums people say that it's a carbon seat-stay but this may be just the US - not sure. My one was still ally but I think it's slightly different shape, but the main difference is that on the left side, as you sit on it, there is no bracket for the rear brake cable to connect to. On the old version the cable connects and I think it's this that caused the vibration (according to my LBS). In the UK, Specialized have been pretty good in acknowledging the issue but it take a VERY long time to get it from Taiwan, apparently. Good luck.... :-)
    Ok, I will check that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7 and my medium fits very well. Go with a large at 5'11".

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just bought a Stumpy Evo 29. I am 6' with 33" inseam I went with a large about 100 miles in and its perfect.

mtbr member
    It just won mbr magazine bike of the year 2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just wanted to check back in and give an update on my '14 SJ Comp EVO 29 as I've had it for about a year now. I'm still very happy with it and love getting out on it. Here are the mods I've done:
    Replaced Formula Brakes with Shimano SLX. Best decision yet.
    Put on a shorter 50mm stem and I can't tell a huge difference but I'm still liking it.
    Never did have any problems with vibration coming from the rear end like other people have reported.
    Replaced random parts over the year that broke but nothing catastrophic.

One question and it might be dumb but I just want clarification. I bent the derailleur hanger and the bolt hanger broke so I'm replacing those. I'm not sure yet if the cage is bent or not and I'm doing some research but I don't know what size cage came with the bike. I can't see any sizing on the cage itself. The Specialized site says "mid cage" which I'm assuming is a medium. Is that a safe assumption?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi Peter, your bike came with a medium cage. I would pull your deli off and remove the cage to see if its bent. They are super easy to fix. Just lay the cage on a table and you can see if its bowed. If it is bowed bend it back with a nice site of pliers.

eci
    Anyone try a 130 fork on this bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Hi Peter, your bike came with a medium cage. I would pull your deli off and remove the cage to see if its bent. They are super easy to fix. Just lay the cage on a table and you can see if its bowed. If it is bowed bend it back with a nice site of pliers.
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I've got a new hanger coming because that's bent so I'll look at the cage while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just wanted to check back in and give an update on my '14 SJ Comp EVO 29 as I've had it for about a year now. I'm still very happy with it and love getting out on it. Here are the mods I've done:
    Replaced Formula Brakes with Shimano SLX. Best decision yet.
    Put on a shorter 50mm stem and I can't tell a huge difference but I'm still liking it.
    Never did have any problems with vibration coming from the rear end like other people have reported.
    Replaced random parts over the year that broke but nothing catastrophic.

One question and it might be dumb but I just want clarification. I bent the derailleur hanger and the bolt hanger broke so I'm replacing those. I'm not sure yet if the cage is bent or not and I'm doing some research but I don't know what size cage came with the bike. I can't see any sizing on the cage itself. The Specialized site says "mid cage" which I'm assuming is a medium. Is that a safe assumption?
    Also checking in after a year+ with the SJ Evo FSR (non-carbon):

- The C1 Formula brakes FAILED on the trail for me (air in lines from leaking/can't bleed them well/whatever)
    - Replaced with Shimano XTs with the same disc -- 100% perfect and have NEVER had issues.
    - Broke a spoke, replaced, tensioned, and kept going

The bike is still doing great! No issues with it. Just with getting the time to go to the trails. *sigh*

- brian

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ive Had mine since September, First the front shifter broke which was replaced under warranty, but I upgraded to x9 and find these much better. Then the rear mech refused to shift onto small cog, again replaced under warranty and upgraded to x0 for my trouble, again a massive improvement. I have have also changed the brakes to slx but kept the formula disks. Now the bike is great and I'm really starting to love it.
    If possible could I get some advise on what pressure to run the forks? Im 13 stone, cheers in advance.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi,

I'd like to add a dropper seat post, do you know if I can use a internal routing dropper. Please share your experience if you've done it.

Thanks,
    HVC

mtbr member
    The easy answer is no. It can be done by drilling an access hole in the frame. Most likely voids the warranty in most cases. The Kindshock KS LV is a good solution since the cable head stays fixed at the bottom of the seat post. The Ninepoint8 Orgin is external routing if you can source one.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks a lot for your advise. I may go with the KS, actually I'm running Specialized Command post without any problem for over 2 year but just don't want to see that remote control cable.

Thanks again,
    HVC

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    The easy answer is no. It can be done by drilling an access hole in the frame. Most likely voids the warranty in most cases. The Kindshock KS LV is a good solution since the cable head stays fixed at the bottom of the seat post. The Ninepoint8 Orgin is external routing if you can source one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know - digging up an old thread... but does anyone have a photo of the carbon wrapped seat stay? my LBS ended up swapping out the Formula C1 for SLX for me which is a huge improvement. Just wondering if i should push for the carbon covered seat stay anyway... even though it's now 2 years on... thx!

mtbr member
    The carbon wrapped didnt work me, so Spec sent my shop the carbon CS. Maybe push for the carbon one first; they know it's an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12