Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New question here. 2014 Specialized frame sizing gets smaller?

Why would Specialized make almost every single carbon frame size in 2014 smaller than 2013? With the exception of a few lower end models/specs, the whole line up is much smaller.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What do you mean by smaller? Wheel base? Stack/reach? Standover height?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you read the geometry specs for each performance/race bike platform from 2013 to 2014, almost every bike Specialized is building now is smaller: seat tube lengths, top tube lengths, steer tube.....check it out. They also eliminated a few of the largest frame sizes for most 2014 models, effectively making the lineup for shorter folks only. It is an interesting decision for them to make.

Superflying on Haven
    Smaller ?? 2014 frames (Epic at least) are longer than 2013. Longer wheelbase, longer seat tube, longer effective and actual top tube lengths
    I never stopped trying hard and I succeeded... some times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Stumpjumper HT in 2014 has a seat tube length of 505mm while in 2013 is was 533.

Epic's numbers on the seat tube are the same both years while the top tube is WAY longer (I was mistaken, oops!), both actual lengths and horizontal lengths.

I am not really interested in the Stumpjumper 29 FSR, so I don't generally look at it, but the overall numbers are identical for 2013 and 2014.

Camber's has a good bit shorter seat tube in 2014 while the top tube is longer as well from 2013. Camber is also no longer available in the XXL sizes. (When I heard the Camber was being built in an S-Works trim, this bike became of interest to me.)

2013 sees the bike called "Carve" and in 2014 it is called "Crave." Call it whatever, it still measures the same in both '13 and '14. The SL (single speed) is the only one here that interests me. The 2014 Stumpjumper HT is also again available in carbon SS trim, but it will be smaller than the 2013 as a function of no longer having the XXL size.

So, in truth, it is a bit of a mixed bag of numbers from 2013 to 2014. The loss of the larger sizes with certain bikes is too bad. Interesting that Rocky Mountain, Giant and Trek still produce 22 to 23 inch frames. While I am sure not many of these larger units sell by any manufacturer, but they must have sold out all of the larger bikes every year, as there are never left over at the end of the season.

mtbr member
    Weird choice for them to make. I know a lot of guys 6- almost 7 foot who ride who WON'T be buying a Specialized . That's ok cause there are a TON of other bike makers who don't discriminate against taller riders
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: 2014 Specialized frame sizing gets smaller?

Specialized is actually targeting the taller consumer base, if you're going to follow their definition of which frame should fit you. According to their manual, you should have about 4 inches of standover clearance for an off-road capable bike. Logic should tell us they should have been designing their bike geometry based on their own recommendation of fit.

That means their small-size bikes for men are intended for riders at least 6 feet tall, and buyers we're just not following it. The 23-inch frame size on their Stumpjumper HT, for example, is designed for those who are more than 7 feet high (apparently).

If Specialized is phasing out their biggest frames, they are probably just thinking there's not enough seven-footers out there interested in buying their bikes.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc (sold)
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro

mtbr member
    May 2013

Big disappointment with the elimination of XXL in the camber 2014

I would have to disagree with your assessment. I'm 6'7"/220# and purchased a 2013 camber pro 2013 this spring...switched out sram for XTR. After getting the bike fitted by a specialized master fitter, I needed to change out the stem and handlebars to increase the height and distance from the seat post. I absolutely love the bike. My concern is that if this frame cracks, I will not be able to fit into the new s-works xl frame.
    I don't understand why spec would limit their frame sizes, esp when their XXl frame gets sold out every year (there was one left in the usa when I bought mine). And no there is not a lot of options out there for aggressive riders who are 6'6" and up.
    Shame on specialized for catering to the masses, and not providing a great bike for all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    Specialized is actually targeting the taller consumer base, if you're going to follow their definition of which frame should fit you. According to their manual, you should have about 4 inches of standover clearance for an off-road capable bike. Logic should tell us they should have been designing their bike geometry based on their own recommendation of fit.

That means their small-size bikes for men are intended for riders at least 6 feet tall, and buyers we're just not following it. The 23-inch frame size on their Stumpjumper HT, for example, is designed for those who are more than 7 feet high (apparently).

If Specialized is phasing out their biggest frames, they are probably just thinking there's not enough seven-footers out there interested in buying their bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For me, I'm looking at a small SJ HT Carbon

Name:  geo-sj ht.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  86.0 KB

No change in Seat tube length but other dimensions change

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This is what the 2013 (red) v 2014 (green) looks like

2014 Specialized frame sizing gets smaller?-comparo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I'm 6 foot 6" and a 21" frame is PLENTY large for me

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was also wondering why they chose to make the bikes longer. I am 180 cm tall and I'm now even more confused what size Stumpjumper hardtail I should choose if I went with a bike from the big S.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For me I currently ride a 2012 xl epic. To keep a similar effective top tube length I have to go to a large foe 2014. The problem is that large does not give me a seat tube that is long enough for my required seat height. This might be the end of specialized for me.

Correction, I misread the tables. The 2014 xl will fit me fine.
    Last edited by jhat; 11-25-2013 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    2014 specialized epic actually gets bigger. There is 8mm up in stand over and 3mm longer wheelbase because effective top tube is 3mm longer.(for size M) These increase in size may look too trivia to consider but not for somebody 5-7 to 5-8. For some bike manufacturer 8mm difference in SO it is one size difference. Keep in mind that even small increase in frame size magnifies when bike is put together. The reason 2014 does not look bigger is flattening tubing, which are more oval now. That is why there is not visual impact . I am close to 5-8 , considered epic but with this increase in size I found 2 bikes which fit my bill better .These are Turner Czar and Ibis Ripley and they get excellent reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone got bikes yet? I'm thinking about getting a Stumpjumper WC, but I'm not sure whether I should get medium or large. I'm 180 cm, inseam around 86.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any news on this? I'd be happy to hear from people 180 cm tall that have chosen one size over the other (especially if you rode the other size before).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 179 cm tall and went from a large S-works Epic 2013 to a medium 2014 S-works Epic WC this year. Both sizes works for me, but the medium felt just a little bit better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am 178 cm tall and have a medium 2013 epic marathon.It felt small from the start but I think the large is too big. Bike came with 90mm stem that I switched to 100mm and now i am trying 110mm. Seems crazy to jump 2 stem sizes but that's where i'm at maybe the 2014 medium will fit better. Sounds like a good reason for a new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I used to look for the smallest frames for standover clearance. But I realized later they are almost the same effectively from small to large. So I went with the medium this time for best riding fit, instead of standover height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks a lot! Do you mind telling us your inseam?

Did you also try the 2014 in size large?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby-S View Post
    I am 178 cm tall and have a medium 2013 epic marathon.It felt small from the start but I think the large is too big. Bike came with 90mm stem that I switched to 100mm and now i am trying 110mm. Seems crazy to jump 2 stem sizes but that's where i'm at maybe the 2014 medium will fit better. Sounds like a good reason for a new bike
    That sounds about right. I'm 5'7" (170cm) and I'm right in the middle of small and medium. I opted for the small for the shorter wheelbase. It's as flickable as my 26er but with the benefits of the bigger wheels.

The 14's Epics will feel bigger with a longer top tube (564 vs 554mm). The WC geo goes 2mm shorter. SJ's were shortened 5mm. I bumped up to a 90mm stem from 75mm with my 14 frame.

Great resource for stem length/angle/reach calculations: Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Could you guys that are around 178-180 cm please list you inseam lengths?

mtbr member
    My '14 Epic fits me just like my '12 and my wife is 5'4" and a mens small EPic fits her fine.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    My '14 Epic fits me like my '12 and my 5'4" wife fits fine in her men's small.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    Thanks a lot! Do you mind telling us your inseam?

Did you also try the 2014 in size large?
    My inseam is 29" barefoot. But I got longer torso with a height of 170cm. I have never tried fitting a Stumpjumper HT but I've tried both the medium and large frames of the new Crave. Both sizes gave me a comfortable reach.

I could have picked a small frame for shorter wheelbase, but I hate accidentally hitting the front tire with my foot when doing tight turns. I know how to avoid it when I'm doing it consciously, but I prefer not having to think about it.

With your height and inseam measurement, I would say both the medium and large frame of the Stumpjumper should fit you. Just pick your wheelbase preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast