mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2014 Sid Brain Newbie

I have a 2014 s-works stumpjumper HT. I finally got it built up and rode it this weekend. I have never owned a brain suspension fork before and have never ridden one so I apologize if this has been beaten to death. I set my brain setting to full firm since I was used to riding with a handlebar lockout and like my fork locked out for climbing. It stays locked out like I assume it is supposed to but when the suspension activates there is a noticeable clunking feeling to it. Is this normal? It wasn't too bothersome once I got used to it but just want to make sure that is the way the fork is supposed to work. Thanks.

As an aside, specialized's expander plug sucks. Once tightened down, how do you then remove the plug if you want to take it back out? You can loosen the bolt then tap on it to break the hold of the lower wedge but the upper wedge doesnt budge. Try to pull the stem up and it just goes around the lip of the upper expander and stays stuck in the fork. I just ended up using a different expander plug with the wagon wheel once I was barely able to remove the stuck portion of the expander. Anyone else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Your fork is working correctly,can't help about the expander plug as I'm not tech savvy english enough to translate into italian.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you go a few clicks towards soft the clicking might not be so harsh