mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2014 S-Works Epic WC vs 2014 Epic Expert WC - Feel a big difference?

I went to an LBS today to check out the Epic Expert WC (black/red color) in person. They had it in a Large so too big for a test ride. Instead I test rode a small S-Works Epic WC and it felt great.

Will I feel that "big" of a difference if I were to test ride an Epic Expert WC? I'm leaning towards that I won't feel a big difference or am not at the point where I could tell the difference riding them back to back.
    Last edited by RCMTB; 01-26-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Re-phrased my question

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That is a question that only you can answer. If you think you will regret one over the other then maybe save your money awhile longer and get that one. Weight on a mtn bike makes more of a difference then on a road bike so I personally like to get the best I can afford and never look back. The main differences is the r10 vs r11 carbon, lighter suspension, the SL carbons are lighter as well as most other components. In the end place your family first for a bike is only a bike but a family is forever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    g-bike - I understand what you mean, but the LBS did not have a small Epic Expert WC in stock for test ride so wanting to get some feedback from the forum. Either way I'm going with the Epic Expert WC. I've read some comments that some have passed on the S-Works and opted for the Epic Expert WC since it doesn't break the bank and performed equally well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the Sworks World Cup and love it. That being said I sold 2 bikes to afford it. It was also my 40th birthday "Boat" mid life crisis purchase. ;-) I did not have the opportunity to ride the Expert level but depending on what your coming from as far as mtn bike goes I am sure it will be awesome. I test road the 2013 Epic and love the new geo of the World Cup it handlers much more like my 26 inch Stumpy Evo. Either way, get it ordered and start ripping trails. Take care and be well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A Small Epic Expert WC in Carbon/Red has been ordered. Should be ready for pickup in a week or so. Will post pictures when I bring it home. Does anyone know if the bike will come with the wheel tape and tubeless valves?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am sure that you will love this bike. I have the same model and color (in Large). My bike came with tubes in it but I converted immediately to tubeless. The tape was already applied and the tubeless valves were included in the box. There is a large thread about issues setting this configuration up tubeless here on the forum but I had no issues (with a compressor.)

Thanks,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: 2014 S-Works Epic WC vs 2014 Epic Expert WC - Feel a big difference?

Here she is...Waiting for XTR pedals to arrive this week.2014 S-Works Epic WC vs 2014 Epic Expert WC - Feel a big difference?-uploadfromtaptalk1393208475175.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

mtbr member

2014 S-Works Epic WC vs 2014 Epic Expert WC - Feel a big difference?

That's a bad ass bike!! I would hurt my self so bad with that. Hell I hurt myself enough only stumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For those that have a '14 Epic Expert World Cup, did your bike come with the multi-tool that comes tucked in the frame under the top-tube right above the shock mount? Mine did not. I thought all '14 Carbon Epics come with it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mine did not come with one either. I asked the shop and you can purchase one, but it does not seem to come with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Man, that sux. I thought for sure at least the tool came with the bike for that much coin. $150 for the Swat kit just to get the tool does not seem worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I totally know what you mean and as a result am not going to buy the SWAT kit. I bought 2 Zee Cage 2's ($20 each) and use my current multitool in my jersey pocket with the rest of my stuff (tube, pump, master link). FYI if you do want it you can but the multitool outside of the SWAT kit but it is still super expensive ($45 I think.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thx for the info on just the multi-tool. I will probably end up getting the SWAT kit eventually after I get over spending the coin on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: 2014 S-Works Epic WC vs 2014 Epic Expert WC - Feel a big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    I totally know what you mean and as a result am not going to buy the SWAT kit. I bought 2 Zee Cage 2's ($20 each) and use my current multitool in my jersey pocket with the rest of my stuff (tube, pump, master link). FYI if you do want it you can but the multitool outside of the SWAT kit but it is still super expensive ($45 I think.)
    So how do you like the Zee Cage 2's? I will probably order one since it is the only one that will work with a small frame. Arundel Sideloader might work too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    WC models are ready to accept the SWAT system but it is not included. The regular Expert and SWorks include it...maybe a weight thing? I have a normal Expert and the SWAT System is great....two bottles, a tube, an inflator, inflator adapter, chain tool and multi tool....most of my rides will not require a camelback!
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes