mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2014 S-Works Epic vs. 2014 Scott Spark 900 SL

I realize this is the Specialized forum so I expect there to be a bias, but I'm wondering if anyone has compared these bikes head to head. There are several similarities, both are carbon XC style 29ers. I suspect the Epic's rear suspension is more sophisticated, but the Scott has the TwinLoc which can adjust or even lock out the suspension. The Scott may be 1-2 pounds lighter off the shelf -- I'm not sure about this -- and I believe it's a bit less expensive compared to the Epic. I've been lusting after the Epic for a long time, but would like to get input re real world comparison. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    TwinLoc (manual) vs Brain (automatic).
    I really like the brain because I don't have to lock or open the suspension. TwinLoc is nice, but the brain feels like the next step forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, am lucky owner of both models, 2013 Scott Spark 900SL and 2014 S-Works Epic WC. I have to mention though that I have changed both the front and rear suspension on the Scott to Fox CTD, ditching the TwinLoc!
    I am an amateur racer and trail rider. The S-Works WC feels stiffer and due to its geometry handles/flicks "quicker" I can comment, but the Scott is my preferred trail bike as it is more plush due to Fox set up. At this level, its really tough to make out the differences, but the brain on the S-Works works well, but not to the degree that it is "perfect"...I do get more accurate settings with the manual CTD.
    Bottomline, tough choice, both bikes are phenomenal, one geared more for racing while the other one is for trail riding.

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same thing : S-Works Epic 2014 or Scott Spark 900 RC 2014 (which now has the Fox nude shock). I have ridden the S-Works Epic 29'er 2012 and a whole bunch of Epic's earlier. You could always feel the moment the brain opened - sometimes, on the smaller bumps the brain missed a bump.

How's the new S-Works Epic WC ? Can you still feel the brain opening?

When the Spark's shock is set to trail, do you feel a lot of bob when pedalling?

Do you happen to use the lockout on the Spark a lot, or when riding off-road, mostly the trail mode ?

If you had to own just one bike : which would you choose?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The 2014 S-Works Epic WC is ridiculously good. The suspension is leaps and bounds better than last years. I can't imagine how Specialized will out do this bike.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    I was wondering the same thing : S-Works Epic 2014 or Scott Spark 900 RC 2014 (which now has the Fox nude shock). I have ridden the S-Works Epic 29'er 2012 and a whole bunch of Epic's earlier. You could always feel the moment the brain opened - sometimes, on the smaller bumps the brain missed a bump.

How's the new S-Works Epic WC ? Can you still feel the brain opening?

When the Spark's shock is set to trail, do you feel a lot of bob when pedalling?

Do you happen to use the lockout on the Spark a lot, or when riding off-road, mostly the trail mode ?

If you had to own just one bike : which would you choose?
    As I said before, the brain is almost perfect, but you need to take your time to dial in the front suspension to your trail conditions. On the Spark I do flick the CTD dial constantly, both front and rear manually by hand, which is fine during weekend trail riding but almost impossible during a 1.5 hour race!! But I can safely say that the T position is enuff for almost all conditions...I tend to have a bit more psi in the rear shock than recommended though.

So...what bike to own if I had to choose: S-Works Epic (Non WC) as it has race geometry but is plusher than WC for my weekend trail riding!!!

The dark side is quicker
    I just sold my 2013 Spark 910 to buy a 2014 Epic Expert. I know, slightly different models than what you are looking at, but close enough. :-)

When I bought the Scott last year, I thought it was the best bike I had ever ridden. The Twin-loc works well and I used it a lot. I rarely used the lock out position, maybe on occasional paved roads connecting trails. A large percentage of the time I was in T mode, almost no pedal-bob and still descended well. When there were longer descents, or harsher conditions I did switch to D mode. Honestly, even in D there wasnt much bob. On longer rides, 100mi, 12 hour, etc, I found myself getting lazy and not really using the twin-loc...I just left it in T.

I had some long running BB issues with the Scott, and my LBS support wasnt what I thought it should be, so I became very frustrated with the bike. Eventually a new Scott dealer in town listened to my concerns and it turned out to be a known problem (actually a Shimano problem) and took care of me. But, by that time I was over the Scott. I ended up buying a 2014 Epic Expert from them.

First impression of the Epic was "Holy F'ing Fast!" As I got more and more ride time on it, and got over the new bike "crack rides", I realized that it did everything my Scott did, but better, and automatically. The suspension is firm when I need it to be firm, the brain opens when I need it to be soft and it just seems to know where to be at all times in between. Standing and mashing a climb will induce a little pedal bob, but I do have the brain set soft and maybe a little more sag than I really need. I'm also 205 lbs, I can put some weight on the pedals. The Epic geometry is perfect for me and my needs. The Scott "chip" was a neat feature, but I left it in "low" almost all the time, "high" felt a little twitchy for me.

Now, I will admit that the Scott had the DT Swiss Nude 2, and from what people say, the Fox is leaps and bounds better than the DT.

Both bikes are great, and you cant go wrong with either. Good luck!
    "The Truth is Absolution."