mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. 2014 Hardrock Sport - right size?

Just got a medium black and red 2014 Hardrock Sport 29er today. I'm 5'8. Not sure of inseam but my pants length is 30". The medium frame is barely touching my crotch but it feels more comfortable riding it overall than the small. It could be because the handle bar is an inch longer than the medium.

However, I was looking at the manual and it said that the right size should have 2-3" from crotch. Should I have gotten the small? Also heard 5'8" is between small and medium so it doesn't really matter. I'm a noobie so I'm really interested in your opinions on this.

Your thoughts?

Co Springs
    I can't give you any meaningful expert advice.... Did you get any input from the shop as per fit by someone more of experience? I think the gritty technical rides would demand more clearance (maybe not more than you have now though) and it may just come down what type of riding you'll do most. The most common issue I see is seat height. Many riders I see ought to have serious knee pain with sitting too low.

You want your leg not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Also, there are times the seat post length on the stock bike is not ideal and putting to max or beyond is to be avoided. If nothing else, I'd go back to the store and see about expert fitment that should be a standard business practice with bike shops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
    However, I was looking at the manual and it said that the right size should have 2-3" from crotch. Should I have gotten the small?

Those manuals are pretty much universal, just about the exact same info for every bike and every company- and unfortunately most of it is useless. Top tube clearance will vary a lot between different models and sizes, and shorter people get less of it. Extra clearance is nice but it's not always possible without sacrifices in other respects.

I'm not saying you have the right size, just that you don't necessarily have the wrong size.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you feel good on the bike without having any discomfort... and they properly setup the bike for your height... then it's the right size for you.
    Everyone is different and it really depends on the type of riding as well. If you were doing trails that are out of your ability and involved you needing to plant your feet on the ground and you end up banging the prize possessions on the top tube because it was right there... Then you may have wanted to go a size smaller.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
    Just got a medium black and red 2014 Hardrock Sport 29er today. I'm 5'8. Not sure of inseam but my pants length is 30". The medium frame is barely touching my crotch but it feels more comfortable riding it overall than the small. It could be because the handle bar is an inch longer than the medium.

However, I was looking at the manual and it said that the right size should have 2-3" from crotch. Should I have gotten the small? Also heard 5'8" is between small and medium so it doesn't really matter. I'm a noobie so I'm really interested in your opinions on this.

Your thoughts?
    I'm 5'8" too. I wear a 32" inseam, but that probably has more to do with our senses of style than our physical proportions. I rode an '07 Hardrock up until earlier this year, in 17.5". According to the Big S, the top tube length on the '14 Hardrock 29er is 1 mm longer than what I've been accustomed to. So I'd be fine on your bike, for whatever that's worth.

I do think that 5'8" is a height that's on the cusp - I used a 90 mm stem, and wouldn't want to go shorter with the mid-school bar width I had on that bike - not '80s narrow but not this year wide. However, 15" mountain bikes often have weird geometry and don't have as much smaller a cockpit as the ETT suggests.

All of which is to say that if you preferred the ride of the bike you bought to the ride of the small and tested both... don't sweat it. You made the right decision.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx