mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2014 evo vs brain

Ok, so the age old question. Dose the brain really make the difference in terms on pedaling on the 14 model year fsr stumpjumpers. I have a friends selling his 2014 evo 29 expert. I would love to buy it but I had my heart set on buying an elite with the brain. Dose the brain really make it that much better or the the fox Ctd on the evo still pretty dam good if you dial it in on climbs. I do a mix of all mountain and xc. I really like the idea of the evo as I like to pop and jump off as much stuff as I can when defending.

Any input?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    Ok, so the age old question. Dose the brain really make the difference in terms on pedaling on the 14 model year fsr stumpjumpers. I have a friends selling his 2014 evo 29 expert. I would love to buy it but I had my heart set on buying an elite with the brain. Dose the brain really make it that much better or the the fox Ctd on the evo still pretty dam good if you dial it in on climbs. I do a mix of all mountain and xc. I really like the idea of the evo as I like to pop and jump off as much stuff as I can when defending.

Any input?
    If you are an xc kinda guy like i am you will apprecciate the Brain,enough travel and a more solid feedback,but the very few times I've downhilled with the Brain fully disengaged the fsr suspension gave it's best,period. But i just can't stand the idea of let the bar go and remember to flick a lever everytime i need to do so.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Get the evo dude. Awesome awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My riding buddy just got his 2014 S works camber. Before that he had a 2013 top-of-the-line giant anthem and before that a 2012 S works epic. Not a stumpjumper, I know, but in his opinion, the camber, without a brain, with Fox CTD fork & shock, is the best of the three. He simply set the shock on Trail 1 setting and never touches the lever or changes it. He is extremely happy with this bike.
    We don't do cross country riding but rather trail riding with small drops. I am still riding my 2012 S works Epic but with a fox float CTD 120 mm fork that I absolutely love. This fork perfectly matches the 100 mm fox shock with a brain that came stock with the bike. I leave the brain completely off (on its lowest setting) the shock and the fork also on Descend setting for our rugged terrain which is constantly switching between ups and downs. I have to say that I love this fork and it has made the bike an awesome trailbike at 23 1/2 pounds with dropper seatpost and 2.35 tires.
    Hope this helps your decision.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 elite I dumped the brain and put on a rp23,, brain sucked IMO!
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That's all I need, picking up a used 2014 expert evo, found out he's upgraded to the carbon wheels, should be a sick bike. Thanks for the feedback guys

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    IMO you have just bought the best mountain bike on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I have a 2012 elite I dumped the brain and put on a rp23,, brain sucked IMO!
    You have to wonder when Specialized customers are going to stop drinking the cool aid and realize that the "Brain" is a devise for the purpose of compensating for flaws in the design of the all specialized rear triangles. Google 'DW Link' and get educated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    You have to wonder when Specialized customers are going to stop drinking the cool aid and realize that the "Brain" is a devise for the purpose of compensating for flaws in the design of the all specialized rear triangles. Google 'DW Link' and get educated.
    I know both my boys are racing on Anthems much more efficient than the brain yet fully active, wish I could get a decent price selling my stumpy! I would switch to a Trance in a heartbeat.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I understand the argument above but for me I am really loving the brain set up not just for the rear but in the fork as well. I have been on 2 different anthems for the past 5 years and loved them but the front and rear brain is feeling really efficient to me and balanced on my new Epic. Maybe my opinion will change if I have reliability issues down the road?

I do think it is odd when people talk about this as compensating for design flaws but platform shocks, CTD forks, lock outs, compression settings, etc are fine or different? I just see the brain as another nice tool that I have for tuning the ride.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    I'm might get flamed for this... but as someone who currently rides a Epic (loves it), and owned a DW-Link bike (loved it), owned a VVP (liked it), and a few other systems... when you boil down suspension, everybody's compensating for something, somewhere. If the DW-Link was perfect for all riders, there'd be no reason for any other suspension systems, let alone Spilt-Link (created by DW, I'm pretty sure)

I love the fact that I can set the Brain up for rides (or parts of rides even). I find for me, the Epic riders well across all the Brain settings. My Pivot 429's DW-Link it didn't have that kind of flexibility in shock set up (for me!)... although...set up right, that thing was pretty sweet. And to be fair, if someone handed me a free Carbon 429, I'd love that bike as well.

It might be hard to believe, but there are some riders out there who like the Brain set up even over other suspension systems. I personally love the fact that there are so many awesome FS designs out there right now. Ride what you like, I'll ride what I like, and everybody's happy!

To bring it full circle, based on the few sentences the OP wrote, I think he's right in steering away from a Brain FSR. That doesn't make it a bad design, it just means it wasn't right for him, and his style.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I'm might get flamed for this... but as someone who currently rides a Epic (loves it), and owned a DW-Link bike (loved it), owned a VVP (liked it), and a few other systems... when you boil down suspension, everybody's compensating for something, somewhere. If the DW-Link was perfect for all riders, there'd be no reason for any other suspension systems, let alone Spilt-Link (created by DW, I'm pretty sure)

I love the fact that I can set the Brain up for rides (or parts of rides even). I find for me, the Epic riders well across all the Brain settings. My Pivot 429's DW-Link it didn't have that kind of flexibility in shock set up (for me!)... although...set up right, that thing was pretty sweet. And to be fair, if someone handed me a free Carbon 429, I'd love that bike as well.

It might be hard to believe, but there are some riders out there who like the Brain set up even over other suspension systems. I personally love the fact that there are so many awesome FS designs out there right now. Ride what you like, I'll ride what I like, and everybody's happy!

To bring it full circle, based on the few sentences the OP wrote, I think he's right in steering away from a Brain FSR. That doesn't make it a bad design, it just means it wasn't right for him, and his style.
    +1 I'm not a brain rider as I'm more of a trail rider & not a racer etc., but I have a mini link bike that I love for efficiency. I have owned MANY bikes over the years and for me the fully active sus of a horst link is king. Never liked any vpp I have ever thrown a leg over just way to much feedback. I would like to take a spin on the new evil sovereign though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post

+1
    I've owned 3 DW link bikes, 2 mini links, 2 VPP's, a single pivot, a few Horst links and several 4 bars. I think Horst link (FSR) is a fairly crappy design whose greatest attribute is not stiffening under braking. On the other hand after a year I am still fully infatuated with the Brain rear shock. I love my Epic and ride it set at 1-3 clicks from full firm. Also I am seriously thinking of getting a Stumpy with a brain too. I love the dichotomy. The brain is firm when I'm cornering and pumping terrain but plush on rough trail sections. I 100% think it compensates for an inferior design and for me makes it work better than the newer options. Just my opinion that I know isn't shared by many. I see that the vast majority of Stumpy riders don't like the brain at all. Further I've not ridden a Stumpy with a brain on trails, only a CTD version that was too couch like for me, but I'm sure curious.

I'd love to ride a brain equipped DW or VPP suspension and hope I get to one day. For the record I don't like brain forks much and you should know that the brain rear shocks require yearly trips back to Specialized for service you have to pay for.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what I like most about the brain is it lets you pop off stuff because its initial compression remains stiff. Then magically you land and its soft. I was pretty dead set against any suspension device that "was gimmicky and would provide inconsistent feel". I did not think I would like the brain and had made plans to swap in an RP23 based on what I read from others. But now I love it, works good for me. 20+ years riding PNW gnarl. This is on a 2012 StumpJumper

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've never ridden a brain equipped mtb fork but both my motorbikes run the closest thing you can get, Ricor Intiminators and I love them.