mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2014 Epic WC set up question / input

I have been looking at the Epic line up for 2014. I want a 1x11 which limits my options to the world cup options so I have been looking at the Epic Expert Carbon WC. Has anyone ridden comparable WC to non WC Epics? Is the reduced travel and different geometry noticeable?

Would it be possible to change / extend the travel of the fork to slacken it out a bit?

Any word on if Specialized is planning on making a dropper that will fit the Epic (27.2)? I saw this link and did not know if they announced anything as some of their team riders are using them.

2014 Specialized Sworks Epic World Cup | Conrad Stoltz XTERRA Triathlete

Thanks,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you want a traditional epic with 1x11 if that is your aim. It would give you more versatility if you wanted to say run a front der. down the road. I would speak to the LBS and see if they could get you an original version and then just swap out the drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

1 x 11

Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Sounds like you want a traditional epic with 1x11 if that is your aim. It would give you more versatility if you wanted to say run a front der. down the road. I would speak to the LBS and see if they could get you an original version and then just swap out the drivetrain.
    Even though I have a WC coming it sounds like your leaning towards a standard geo Epic. Just get the Marathon and put a Wolf Tooth single front chain ring on it if you are intrigued by the 1 byes

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the input. The more reviews I read the more that I think that I would rather not start with the standard Epic. I have no interest in front der, 1x10 is not really an ideal option for me, and I like firm suspension. Other members have mentioned a spacer that can be removed from the fork for additional travel if needed as well so that may not be a bad option if even needed.

I will wait till my dealer gets some in and ride both before making the final choice though.

Thanks again.
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The fork is just a standard SID. It has the "all travel" spacers installed. You just need to simply swap some spacers they have installed and you will be at 100mm travel. They are VERY easy to access and work on.

The World Cup Expert build is the best deal at the moment. The Marathon is way too expensive for the 2x10 parts spec.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm planning on the Expert WC myself. Wish it came with carbon bars but otherwise it is a great bike.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well i was planning on a Expert WC but came short on the money so i got the 2013 carbon expert and i have never ridden a bike like this one it is almost magical to me with the brain and all, i can recommend the Epic any day so go for it get the WC it does not have the XX1 as far as i know but the X01 drive train i might be wrong but that is what i have seen

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    XX1 and XO1 are very similar, not even a huge difference in the weight. I'll put a carbon bar and carbon post on it and be happy with that. My '13 S-Works Epic was 21lbs. 9oz. so I'm assuming that this one will be slightly heavier but not much. I'll be fine with it.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    I have the Expert WC and it is a dream, I noticed the 1cm WB difference and it is soooo snappy and explosive I had a super tuned 13' Carbon Comp w/carbon wheels etc but this was/is a whole new level and it for sure helped me in my last 6hr race of the season!!! this bike is the best I wish I could get another one!!!