mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2014 Epic sizing

hi, checking out the specy website I noticed that the new epics seem a bit larger than the previous model. I'm 5'8 and I'm right in between small and medium bike sizes on the 2013 epic. Currently I have a medium epic with a shorter stem swapped in. Has any body opted for a smaller sized bike because of the current sizing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im 5'11 and ride a s-works epic and could ride med/large. I opted for the large as it helped me stretch out a bit more for racing (what these are really for). have always felt the medium was too short and felt like i was going over the handle bars on the steeper stuff. I suggest you get a Medium and can always put a shorter stem on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm about 5'6.5" and went with a Small on a '14 Epic Expert World Cup. I normally ride a Medium and go with a 0 degree post and slightly shorter stem, but this time I went with a Small. I think with the steeper head tube angle of the WC geometry it added a hair more reach and the bike fits perfect with the saddle right in the middle position.

'14 Specialized Epic Expert World Cup
    '15 Niner RLT9 105
    '15 Cervelo R2, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think at 5' 8" you are in the medium camp. But, the 2014's are a little longer than the 2013 offerings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Probably a Medium with seat positioned forward. I tried to fit a Medium with the seat all the fwd, but it still felt big. Standover is about the same on the Small and Medium. Test ride!

'15 Niner RLT9 105

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No, you should never move your saddle to adjust reach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: 2014 Epic sizing

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    No, you should never move your saddle to adjust reach.
    I understand there are certain limitations on bike fit, but aren't those just guidelines? If the rider is not feeling any pain with the saddle fwd or rearward, then it should be all good, no? Just trying to understand your reasoning.

'15 Niner RLT9 105

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just because you can ride in a certain position without experiencing pain doesn't make it correct.

I'm not a big KOPS believer, but some are.

However, you move your saddle to get your butt where it should be in relation to the bottom bracket of the bike and more importantly your balance/weight distribution correct. Also, your functionality on the bike (ie flexibility, mobility, muscle imbalances, etc) effects where your saddle needs to be and then how high/low/far away your bars need to be.

If you run your saddle all the way forward for the sake of reach adjustment then you are most likely going to screw up the bike's handling and suspension performance (even more important on a FS bike).

Now that's not to say that a given person might not need a zero offset post or running their saddle forward to get their position correct. See what I mean?

You set saddle position (height/fore-aft), then adjust reach with stem and bars (or different frame size).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    In my case moving the seat forward is not an option(tried it and didn't like it). I also think that seat position should come first before reach.

One of the reasons why I'm thinking of a smaller frame size is at times that I can't put enough weight towards the rear, like when I try to lift the front end over obstacles or do a manual. It's so hard! I guess it's the long stays and the low bottom bracket(which I believe are the same for all sizes??).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So probably a Small with a longer stem.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

'15 Niner RLT9 105