mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2014 Epic or Scalpel for Endurance racing/x-terra?

Hi,

Looking at getting a more "racy" bike for next season. Currently on a Tallboy LTc XX1 that has served me well, but a soft 140mm of travel and 27lb is not cutting it for Park City point to point (10 hrs on the TB LTc).
    Saw a ton of Scalpels/Epics at x-terra nationals in Odgen too.

I test rode a 2014 L Epic comp that the demo truck had in Park City, liked it, but fork was awful.

No carbon frames to be demoed. Love the XX1 but have to go Epic WC to get it.
    Buying an S-Works frame for $5500 and building it up to XX1 is not going to happen either.

The Cannondale Scalpel is now a 3 yr old design, but the spec for the Team is right on the money (XX1, Enve, etc) for the same money as a Marathon.

Has anybody actually thrown a leg over the Marathon/Expert WC's?, are they that different from each other?... I have searched the interwebs high and low and only find brief "press" reviews.

Also the shops are telling me... put in an order now, or you will have no bike if you wait until Feb/March since they will be sold out.

How can Specialized expect me to drop $7.5K on a bike I can not even demo?????

Thanks in advance,

mtbr member
    Had them both ( 2012 & 2013) loved them both. Lefty is amazing so is the Brain. Bit more relaxed geometry on the Scalpel. Mind that the Epic you've demoed was the entry level one,Expert models up come with an excellent Brain equipped fork.
    Can't give up the Brain concept,so the Epic gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have not ridden the scalpel but have extensive time on the Epic family. Each year the Brain is tuned differently and reported to be the "best yet". Pretty much everyone that I have had I can tune in a way that will suit my riding style. For some the belief is that that the major negative of the Epic is the proprietary Brain shock, that according to the service interval could put you w/o you trusty steed for a little bit. I argue the opposite. Most bikes have a proprietary something or other and if you follow the rec maintenance schedule it will put you off your bike.

The wheels on the marathon are not the Carbon SL's but the just the regular Carbon Rovals. The Scalpel has the nice Enve rims but they are the XC model which is narrower then the Rovals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    I have not ridden the scalpel but have extensive time on the Epic family. Each year the Brain is tuned differently and reported to be the "best yet". Pretty much everyone that I have had I can tune in a way that will suit my riding style. For some the belief is that that the major negative of the Epic is the proprietary Brain shock, that according to the service interval could put you w/o you trusty steed for a little bit. I argue the opposite. Most bikes have a proprietary something or other and if you follow the rec maintenance schedule it will put you off your bike.

The wheels on the marathon are not the Carbon SL's but the just the regular Carbon Rovals. The Scalpel has the nice Enve rims but they are the XC model which is narrower then the Rovals.
    Thanks for the response.

Currently ride Enve AM's and love the extra width they provide.
    I wonder how durable the Roval SL's are going to be?, I am 6'2", 190lb, ride Park City with very long and somewhat rocky descents.
    Previous bike was a 2005-6 Aluminum S-Works 26" Epic that I rode on the same trails and wore out... loved the Fox Terralogic fork that came with it.

Any thoughts on regular Epic vs WC?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post

Like what? Plenty of other companies are using yokes like Specialized, only they decided to make the yoke attach to a normal shock eye unlike Specialized. Other than Scott and Trek, who's shock can be replaced with off the shelf ones, who else sells a bike that you HAVE to buy a shock through them?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass