mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2014 epic larger frame specs and cannot sit on one before order

I am ordering a epic expert carbon and could have ridden a medium or large with the 2013 frame but went with the large. Now with the longer reach etc with 2014 frames I wonder if a large will be to aggressive of a position to enjoy because of bigger frame. I'm 5' 11.5" with a measured inseam of 33.25". will be riding mostly fun and fast with some racing thrown in. I'm in new england and ride mostly of twisty singletrack.

anybody have any thoughts/sdvice between the medium and large? anyone get a chance to compare to 2013?

thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have always ridden a medium and stuck with that size. If I have to shorten the stem slightly no big deal. I am not sure what you mean by the 14 Large being to aggressive of a position? I think the top tube is 5mm longer on the 2014 medium then then 2013 medium but I it escapes me now. Guess I will find out in december.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Large 2014 2013

seat tube 470 463
    top tube (horiz) 620 615
    top tube actual 614 584
    Reach 441 438
    standover 780 775

sorry when I said "aggressive" i was thinking stretched out across the bike. but in reality compared to a large the medium would have me with a higher seat position to lower handlebar. I don't want the bike to feel/be to big/stretched out if to large or put me put forward over bike if to small.......sucks not being able to see them first hand before ordering

i guess the question is with my height 5' 11' and inseam of 33.25" does that lead to a particular frame size with the dimensions or am i still inbetween
    Last edited by goaheadjump; 10-09-2013 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am almost exactly your height. I also could have gone with either a M or a L. I went with the M, but I am getting a 2014 SW Epic WC in large. I was able to do a long ride on a friends L SW Epic back to back with mine. It's a matter of personal preference, but I really liked the feel of the L. I had both bikes set up almost identically, position-wise.

Something worth noting is that the WC is a "smaller" bike than last year's bike. It's almost as if Specialized wants to give the rider a choice for 2014 between the slightly smaller and quicker handling WC, and the slightly stretched regular Epic (both in comparison to the 2013 model).
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    great info thank you - i did not look at the WC and therefore had not noticed the different build specs between the WC and standard epics in the "same" size.

amazing how thinly cut bike designs have become. i remember when it was either rigid, front suspension or full and then just go out and ride for fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, if you look at the geometry of the 2014 Epic vs. the World Cup Epic, it's easy to see the design differences. I think that having two differentiated WC full suspension bikes is a fantastic idea. Some would say that it is overkill, but I immediately knew that I wanted the WC when I saw the geometry. I thought the Epic was already darn close to being a perfect bike, and Specialized has not only improved the bike, they have given us two choices. Gotta love that!
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "funny" that the shop I am ordering from did not know the regular frame size is a bit larger than last year or that the WC version is smaller. yet they were debating/suggesting a size based on looking at me standing in front of them

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It is a big difference. The xl gets 4 cm more in effective top tube length. That is a problem for those of us that need the seat tube length of the larger model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    goaheadjump: What did you end up getting?