Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review

This is my first Epic and although I only have about 50 miles on it, I am really loving it. I went back and forth on which Epic to get this year but decided on the Expert WC and I am really happy I did. Having 1x11 and a frame built around that was a selling point for me. I am coming off of an Anthem 29 with 100mm of travel and I do not miss the 5mm at all and really love the suspension tuning on the WC for my do-it-all bike.

I am still getting the bike dialed in and will change out bars and stem once I decide the fit I need. (I will go with Specialized carbon flat or mini rise model.)

The only thing I do not love is the brakes, but I am going to stick with them. They are not bad but I miss the XTR's that I had on my last bike.

Changes from stock:

ESI grips (stock ones felt terrible in my opinion)
    Organic brake pads (suppose to be more quiet)
    Syntace 90mm stem (I am 5'11" and on a Large frame)
    XTR pedals
    Ground Control (2.3 / 2.1 control version for winter riding/training)
    Tubeless / Stan's

With the heavier tires and aluminium bars/post it is at 24 lbs even.

2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review-i-kxtsctw-x2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice! I just picked up an Epic Marathon (didn't want to spend the $$$ on the s-works because I change bikes often).

This is my 3rd Epic. I must say the new Epic is great! It's funny I also try to go bigger suspension bikes but always come back to a more racer geo and suspension.

I may try a 120 fork just to compare (I get bored easy).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Daniel- that is a killer ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Congrats on the new WC. My riding partner has same bike and is really loving it. He does get some noise and shutter on the brakes though. I am hoping to step up before race season. I was concerned about the brakes; I currently have Formula R1's. The guys at my LBS said the maguras on the expert work better and are quieter with better rotors. Maybe someone else can chime in here who has changed the rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks guys!

I would also be curious if anyone has tried other rotors with better success.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My buddy replaced his stock rotor and pads. He went with the rt86 ice tech rotors. He has been happy with the brakes since. He says they have good stopping power and they are super quiet now. Before, he was getting a lot of noise and vibration. After swapping out the rotors, he inspected the stockers and found that 2 of the tangs that go from the pad surface area to the center where it mounts were cracked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    funny you say that, I tried a bike that had MT6 calipers with ice-tech rotors and it was night and day as fa as bite and lack of noise/vibration compared to the SL rotors. +1 for ice-tech

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the replies and feedback. I will give the Shimano rotors a shot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi Daniel - I'm contemplating getting this bike too. However I'm intending to compete in Ironbike this year in Italy (::: IronBike :::) and I'm a little concerned if 95 mm travel front & rear would be ok? What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey there Hatone,

I am not familiar with IronBike but if you are set on an Epic and are asking if 95mm vs 100mm will make a difference then I would say no. I have been on 100mm bikes for the past 5 years or so (Anthem 26, Anthem 29, now Epic WC) and in terms of travel, I do not miss the 5mm at all. Maybe a longer travel bike would be better for the event? I am not sure. I have ridden longer travel bikes and always come back to the shorter travel, more efficient bikes.

Thanks and best of luck!
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    Hey there Hatone,

I am not familiar with IronBike but if you are set on an Epic and are asking if 95mm vs 100mm will make a difference then I would say no. I have been on 100mm bikes for the past 5 years or so (Anthem 26, Anthem 29, now Epic WC) and in terms of travel, I do not miss the 5mm at all. Maybe a longer travel bike would be better for the event? I am not sure. I have ridden longer travel bikes and always come back to the shorter travel, more efficient bikes.

Thanks and best of luck!
    Daniel
    Thanks - I've too ordered one. I'm 5ft 10'' and went with a Medium. Sat on a medium Epic - it felt good, not too stretched out or cramped. Might bumped up the stem to 100 mm from 90 mm later down the line, should hit the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It is worth noting, if you are between sizings (i.e. M and L) it is generally safer to go with the high end of the manufacturer's frame size recommendation (i.e. you're 5ft 10'' which is the max medium recommendation). I found it still allowed good saddle movement, forwards and backwards. Furthermore it allows you to extend your stem if required. On the plus side a medium is smaller than large so will be easier to move around when the trails get steep and rough, and lighter too.

So to summarise, a 5ft 10'' rider would fit nicely on a medium with a 100 mm than a large with 100 mm stem as standard on Epics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmc42 View Post
    My buddy replaced his stock rotor and pads. He went with the rt86 ice tech rotors. He has been happy with the brakes since. He says they have good stopping power and they are super quiet now. Before, he was getting a lot of noise and vibration. After swapping out the rotors, he inspected the stockers and found that 2 of the tangs that go from the pad surface area to the center where it mounts were cracked.
    What type of pads did you buddy choose? I can't find Shimano pads to be compatible with Magura.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frafoss View Post
    What type of pads did you buddy choose? I can't find Shimano pads to be compatible with Magura.
    I don't know for sure. Either Magura pads in an endurance compound or Koolstop pads in an endurance compound. FWIW, I just bought the same bike and put the RT86 ice tech rotors on immediately. I still have stock pads in it. The braking is solid with good feel at the lever and absolutely no noise or shutter. They don't have as much initial bite as the Formulas on my old bike, but so far they feel plenty good for xc stuff. My LBS says only drawback with the stock pads is they wear quickly compared to the endurance pads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just the 180 and 160 Shimano rotors needed? No adapters or anything? I may try the same on mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    Just the 180 and 160 Shimano rotors needed? No adapters or anything? I may try the same on mine.
    If that matches the size rotors that came on your bike, that is all you need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know for sure. Either Magura pads in an endurance compound or Koolstop pads in an endurance compound. FWIW, I just bought the same bike and put the RT86 ice tech rotors on immediately. I still have stock pads in it. The braking is solid with good feel at the lever and absolutely no noise or shutter. They don't have as much initial bite as the Formulas on my old bike, but so far they feel plenty good for xc stuff. My LBS says only drawback with the stock pads is they wear quickly compared to the endurance pads.
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I took my Epic Expert WC out for it's maiden voyage yesterday - in stock form. Aside from taking the bumps much better than my HT, this bike just felt like it had less rolling resistance and more controlled mid-corner handling rather than an on/off switch on the HT. Overall, I felt more confident descending and over the rooty stuff. With all the settings in the middle, I found the front a little soft and the rear a little too stiff. Will make adjustments for next ride. Also, I did the brake-bed in procedure during the week. I did about 40 of the 18mph stops. During my ride, I could tell they were really starting to break-in. I did notice a little howl from the brakes towards the end of the ride, but no gobbling. I don't mind a little howl as long as there is no gobbling/vibration. I find the howl to be equivalent to a rear brake light on a car to let riders behind me know I am braking. Guess we'll see how the brakes go during my next ride. Everything else performed nicely. It definitely just wants to go fast.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review-img_2501.jpg
    2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review-img_2497.jpg

I've had my WC expert for about a weekend a half. I've got 3 rides on it so far, one being an xc race. So far, I'm really loving it. I am coming from a 2012 epic expert and the WC does all the things I wanted my '12 to do. Biggest improvement has to be the brains. The front end feel is excellent. The bike is more nimble and very responsive. With more saddle time, I'm sure I will get even more comfortable on it.

The bike is a medium and weighed in at 24lbs 1 oz on the shop scale in stock form with tubes and plastic pedals. I used the home bathroom scale method and got 24.0 lbs. I immediately swapped some parts: 3T 100mm stem, Enve carbon bar, XX1 grip shifter with ESI grips, EC70 carbon seat post, Romin EVO saddle Ti rails, 30 T Wolftooth chainring, Roval SL wheels, Shimano RT 86 brake rotors, Fast Trak rear tire, XTR pedals,2- Zee side loader bottle cages, and added 3M clear protector for cable rub, on top tube and at chain stay near chainring. Using the home scale method, it is right at 23.0. I will stop by the shop and have them check on the fish hook scale. I expected it to be a little lighter, but 23.0 is still pretty light for non S Works FS.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone know the weight difference between the Epic Expert and the Epic Expert WC? I am torn between the two and not sure which one to get!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	878126

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	878127

I've had my WC expert for about a weekend a half. I've got 3 rides on it so far, one being an xc race. So far, I'm really loving it. I am coming from a 2012 epic expert and the WC does all the things I wanted my '12 to do. Biggest improvement has to be the brains. The front end feel is excellent. The bike is more nimble and very responsive. With more saddle time, I'm sure I will get even more comfortable on it.

The bike is a medium and weighed in at 24lbs 1 oz on the shop scale in stock form with tubes and plastic pedals. I used the home bathroom scale method and got 24.0 lbs. I immediately swapped some parts: 3T 100mm stem, Enve carbon bar, XX1 grip shifter with ESI grips, EC70 carbon seat post, Romin EVO saddle Ti rails, 30 T Wolftooth chainring, Roval SL wheels, Shimano RT 86 brake rotors, Fast Trak rear tire, XTR pedals,2- Zee side loader bottle cages, and added 3M clear protector for cable rub, on top tube and at chain stay near chainring. Using the home scale method, it is right at 23.0. I will stop by the shop and have them check on the fish hook scale. I expected it to be a little lighter, but 23.0 is still pretty light for non S Works FS.
    That is good. Guess I don't have it too bad with mine weighing 23lbs. 1oz. without having to invest in the SL wheelset.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: 2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review

Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    So I took my Epic Expert WC out for it's maiden voyage yesterday - in stock form. Aside from taking the bumps much better than my HT, this bike just felt like it had less rolling resistance and more controlled mid-corner handling rather than an on/off switch on the HT. Overall, I felt more confident descending and over the rooty stuff. With all the settings in the middle, I found the front a little soft and the rear a little too stiff. Will make adjustments for next ride. Also, I did the brake-bed in procedure during the week. I did about 40 of the 18mph stops. During my ride, I could tell they were really starting to break-in. I did notice a little howl from the brakes towards the end of the ride, but no gobbling. I don't mind a little howl as long as there is no gobbling/vibration. I find the howl to be equivalent to a rear brake light on a car to let riders behind me know I am braking. Guess we'll see how the brakes go during my next ride. Everything else performed nicely. It definitely just wants to go fast.
    Edit: It wasn't totally stock cause I went tubeless from the beginning.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review-image.jpg

Large expert World Cup. 23.7 lbs out of the box (without pedals).

Items I added:

Syntace 110mm stem
    S-works carbon bar
    S-works carbon seatpost
    Romin pro saddle
    Fast trak control 2.2 in front, 2.0 in rear
    ESI grips
    Quarq 34t crankset
    Tubeless
    Xtr pedals
    2 specialized side load water bottles
    Multi tool mounted by the shock
    Garmin heads up mount

Took the weight down to an even 23lbs. Pretty stoked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: 2014 Epic Expert World Cup - Mini Review

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	878324

Large expert World Cup. 23.7 lbs out of the box (without pedals).

Items I added:

Syntace 110mm stem
    S-works carbon bar
    S-works carbon seatpost
    Romin pro saddle
    Fast trak control 2.2 in front, 2.0 in rear
    ESI grips
    Quarq 34t crankset
    Tubeless
    Xtr pedals
    2 specialized side load water bottles
    Multi tool mounted by the shock
    Garmin heads up mount

Took the weight down to an even 23lbs. Pretty stoked!
    Is that the 2014 S-Works road seat post?

I'm thinking that S-Works seat post or a Ritchey Superlogic Carbon in UD finish for mine. I'm happy with my stem, but may go to a Syntace Vector handlebar and cut to 720mm.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No it's probably a 2012? Maybe '11? It's 230g, not exactly feather light. Was thinkng about a kcnc ti post at around 160g...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast