mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Epic Comp Carbon Front Derailleur Issues

I recently received a warranty frame from specialized for my 2013 Epic Comp Carbon. The new frame is a 2014 Epic Comp Carbon frame. With the new frame, I decided I was going to change as the drivetrain components to XT, including the front derailleur, which I knew was a high direct mount on the 2014 (different than the 2013). I'm to get the whole bike together accept the front derailleur, which I can't figure out how to mount. I know high direct mount fd are supposed to fit into a groove, but on the mounting point for my new frame there is not a slot, but rather an oval extrusion with a hole for the mounting screw. When I try to install the derailleur, it just sits on top of this extrusion. Is that how it's supposed to mount (it keeps slipping) or is their another way. Picture below shows what the mount looking like. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Epic Comp Carbon Front Derailleur Issues-fdmount.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did the frame come with a small black cap with a tab that goes over that mount? I thought the fd mounted to that black piece. My Epic frame did but I went by 1x10 so I didn't install the fd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    No, specialized didn't send that piece, but that makes sense. Any chance you'd be willing to sell yours?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You need to find out what type of Direct Mount front derailleur you need. I looked at Shimano & there's quite a few to select from. I looked at the Specialized website & they don't have any 2014 models listed yet. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    You need to find out what type of Direct Mount front derailleur you need. I looked at Shimano & there's quite a few to select from. I looked at the Specialized website & they don't have any 2014 models listed yet. Good luck!
    I know it's a high mount front derailleur; I definitely have that, it just doesn't seem to fit. I think that black adapter the other user was talking about might be the solution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The black adapter plate is the part you need to fit the derailleur. The correct XT derailleur is the FD-M786-D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's the exact derailleur that I have (FD-M786-D); looks like I just need the adaptor plate. Stinks; that's been keeping me from riding the bike for a 1 1/2 weeks now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman88 View Post
    No, specialized didn't send that piece, but that makes sense. Any chance you'd be willing to sell yours?
    No- I'm not selling it. I have it mounted to the frame so it doesn't look like I'm missing something and to keep dirt out of the screw threads.

Sounds like you need to go back to your shop and ask them what the deal is and why you didn't get the plate. My plate came in a small bag with a bunch of those bolts and cable guides for the internal cable routing. Are you sure the plate isn't in one of your bags of pieces and parts?