mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2014 Enduro 29 SWorks - Official Thread

Thought I'd start a specific thread. I've been testing a loaner for 3 days and seems impressive. Good review from Francis. First Look: S-Works Enduro 29 Weighs in at 27 lbs with 155mm of Travel | Mountain Bike Review

Any thoughts, comments from current or potential owners?

mtbr member

Want one badly...,

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Re: 2014 Enduro 29 SWorks - Official Thread

I have a 160 Pike 29 looking for a frame to put it in. Want a S-works medium, but having a hard time justifying the $4k to the boss.

I'm gonna have to sell my BMW motorcycle to fund the build. That just goes to show how much I've liked demoing this bike and how foolish I am.

mtbr member
    The fool is the twin of the wise!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm loving mine, I've got about 200 miles on it and what I've noticed is that I really need to check my speed. This is my first 29er so maybe I'm not used to how fast they pick up speed but the E29 with its awesome suspension just gobbles up the terrain that I need to really check my brakes. So make sure that you have awesome brakes. I have XTR with 203 & 180mm rotors and couldn't be happier. Here's a link to some pictures of my build. Enduro 29er XMass gift to myself

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    acfsportsfan - nice build!!!! Looks sick with Enves!!! Exact set up I'd like.

I mostly ride a TBc decked out w Enves, XTR, etc (25lbs) and occasionally 11 Enduro Evo that Im looking to replace (now for sale). Even though it descends so well I guess Iíve become a weight snob and luv the way 29rs feel.

As mentioned I was super impressed with SWorks 29r. Not only did it climb well, when out of the saddle mashing it was planted/stable w solid traction on very steep. The DH was fun and like a Baja Truck! I didnt push it too hard given it wasnt perfectly fitted and I was learning it's characteristics. Im not a jumper but it was like a sling shot off the ramp, very balance and didnít slow down upon landing. At Downieville this thing would be a blast. The only knock is the brakes faded compared to XT/XTR's but perhaps they werent broken-in properly.

This is not a bike I need as the TBc handles about everything I ask but I guess I want like everyone else Just cant justify the $. If it was my only bike I could rationalize at a better price point.

I also question what really makes this bike climb well (for a big bike). Perhaps it's the combination of shock/fork, light wheels and short chainstay? Geo? Maybe it was excitement of riding a long travel big wheeled carbon $9k bike

The yellow/black from looks sick too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Re: 2014 Enduro 29 SWorks - Official Thread

My current build plan...

S-works frame. ..med
    Pike RCT3 160
    XX1 rear drive
    Race face Next SL cranks w/28T
    Hadley hubs w/Enve AM rims, supercomp spokes
    Specialized Purgatory Grid 2.3 rear, Butcher 2.3 front
    Cromag Ranger 60 mm stem
    Enve 740 mm Sweep bars.
    XT or XTR trail brakes 203/180...leaning toward XT
    Lizard skin Peaty grips
    WTB Silverado SLT saddle
    150 KS LEV integra unless I find I need the setback Command post that comes with the frame.
    Cheap bear bell to warn people I'm coming.

Fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice build mix, love the idea of the Next SL Cranks, they look sweet. Ya gotta post up a picture when you get her together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What hubs on those Enves?

Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I'm loving mine, I've got about 200 miles on it and what I've noticed is that I really need to check my speed. This is my first 29er so maybe I'm not used to how fast they pick up speed but the E29 with its awesome suspension just gobbles up the terrain that I need to really check my brakes. So make sure that you have awesome brakes. I have XTR with 203 & 180mm rotors and couldn't be happier. Here's a link to some pictures of my build. Enduro 29er XMass gift to myself

What hubs did you use? How do they work with the ridiculous Specialized spacing?

Nice build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    DTswiss 240 centerlock hubs, the the rear hub spacing (142+) is only if you use the Specialized hub. You can use any 142x12 rear hub you want. I already had the hubs from my previous 26in wheels and just used them for the 29in wheel build. I did remove the red DTswiss stickers from the hubs so not to clash with the black & white color scheme. I know its anal but it would have bugged me, call me anal I guess. It was a lot of fun picking out every part exactly the way I wanted it. This was going to be the one and only time I would be able to afford to go nuts, so I went big to make the most of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

DTswiss 240 centerlock hubs, the the rear hub spacing (142+) is only if you use the Specialized hub. You can use any 142x12 rear hub you want. I already had the hubs from my previous 26in wheels and just used them for the 29in wheel build. I did remove the red DTswiss stickers from the hubs so not to clash with the black & white color scheme. I know its anal but it would have bugged me, call me anal I guess. It was a lot of fun picking out every part exactly the way I wanted it. This was going to be the one and only time I would be able to afford to go nuts, so I went big to make the most of it.
    I completely understand the attention to detail. I actually just got the complete bike. I rode it at Demo and was really pleased.

I am glad that the bike accepts standard 142 x 12. For some reason I assumed since the 142+ didn't work on 142 that the converse was also true.

I pitched the boat anchor Spesh bar. I can't believe they spec that POS on a $9k bike. I also replaced the Avid brakes with XTR trail. I have a few bikes and the more commonality among them the fewer parts I need to keep on hand. At this point if you are wondering why I ordered a complete bike the reason is I could not find a 160mm Pike for a 29er.

But back to the ride - it's is pretty remarkable. This bike instills confidence. With the exception of the testicle guillotine known as a Command Post, this bike is terrific. It's really expensive, but if you like the rough stuff, this bike is for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    At this point if you are wondering why I ordered a complete bike the reason is I could not find a 160mm Pike for a 29er.
    [/QUOTE]

Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose were able to get Pike's in 160mm from their distributor. The exact fork specked on the Full build. They said they had a surplus for some reason, anyway I lucked out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Biker Bob can get the Pike as well, and he has a killer price.

Most people will be able to build the S-Works to the same or better spec for less than the complete bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Who is Biker Bob? On the SRAM site they do not liist the 160mm option for the 29 inch Pike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

At this point if you are wondering why I ordered a complete bike the reason is I could not find a 160mm Pike for a 29er.
    Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose were able to get Pike's in 160mm from their distributor. The exact fork specked on the Full build. They said they had a surplus for some reason, anyway I lucked out.[/QUOTE]

When I built mine, i could only find the 150 as well. I just spent the extra $30 and got the 160mm spring. Same fork now as what comes on the full bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD