Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 918
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    196

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE-64227.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    510
    Monster truck status achieved!

  3. #3
    The Other Dude
    Reputation: jut8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    Dont forget the all sexy black one! I really thought we would see a 650b enduro first though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE-64225.jpg  

    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    510
    Any idea how much travel this bike will have? StumpJumper FSR EVO 29er is 140mm up front with the 34 and 135mm in the back. Is Fox putting out a longer travel 29er fork next year? Maybe 150mm or 160mm in a 34 or 36 chassis?

    It would seem kind of redundant if this bike had 140mm of travel front and rear with the current StumpJumper FSR EVO 29er. Or is the idea to have a stiffer bike with slacker and more aggressive geometry?

  5. #5
    The Other Dude
    Reputation: jut8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    Rumor has it 155mm
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    510
    Sounds pretty much spot on. Specialized tends to build their 29ers with 10mm less travel than their 26er counterparts. The 26 inch Enduro has 165mm in the rear, so 155mm makes sense.

    I wonder if Fox is coming out with a 150mm or 160mm 29er 34 or 36 or maybe a custom one for Specialized. I could definitely see a 29 150mm 34 from Fox. Possibly even 36 to deal with the increased flex you may see in a long travel 29er fork.

  7. #7
    adamant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    92
    150mm front FOX 34 Float CTD; 155mm FOX Float CTD rear

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Geometry?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie View Post
    Sounds pretty much spot on. Specialized tends to build their 29ers with 10mm less travel than their 26er counterparts. The 26 inch Enduro has 165mm in the rear, so 155mm makes sense.

    I wonder if Fox is coming out with a 150mm or 160mm 29er 34 or 36 or maybe a custom one for Specialized. I could definitely see a 29 150mm 34 from Fox. Possibly even 36 to deal with the increased flex you may see in a long travel 29er fork.
    SRAM is coming out with a 160mm 29er fork this year with 571mm a2c. (discussed in this thread)
    konahonzo

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,384
    I was talking to a mechanic at my local specialized shop and he said there would be a 650b for 2014 late summer. I think he was pulling my leg, a super long travel 29er doesnt make any sense to me.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,384
    By the way where did you get those photos? They look photoshoped.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    326
    Wow those look like a lot of fun! So has Specialized decided that kashima is marketing rubbish? And no dropper post?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    Wow those look like a lot of fun! So has Specialized decided that kashima is marketing rubbish? And no dropper post?
    They only put Kashima on their top of the line models like S-Works.
    konahonzo

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    150mm fox 34 forks are available in 29er variant since last year. Also the rock Shox revelation can be had with 150mm already.

    I don't know if the Enduro 29er has a 150 or 160 fork though.
    I guess 150 would be plenty though...

    I'll buy one in fall. Yummy, yummy.

    Greetings Znarf

  14. #14
    The Other Dude
    Reputation: jut8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    I know specialized is committed to the 29er, but I really thought we would see a 650b enduro first.

    The frame on this looks really similar to a stumpy frame to me, I know it probably rides totally different, but attach that shock to the top tube, and remove that x brace shock mount, and i swear I have seen that frame before.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    150mm fox 34 forks are available in 29er variant since last year. Also the rock Shox revelation can be had with 150mm already.

    I don't know if the Enduro 29er has a 150 or 160 fork though.
    I guess 150 would be plenty though...

    I'll buy one in fall. Yummy, yummy.

    Greetings Znarf

    29er forks with 150 since last year? can you show a link or something please?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    I just re-checked. The Revelation doesn't come in 150, only in 26".
    The Fox did for 2012, look it up on their Service site:

    2012 34 FLOAT and TALAS 29 PN Master Sheet

    Greetings Znarf

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    hey znarf
    if i get it right, this sheet is just for spare parts. i'm pretty sure, there was never a 34 available in a 150 version. have you ever seen one, or know one who has? - just wondering....!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    No,
    I've not personally seen one, just this e-speculation. There are some threads on mtbr.com about this very topic though.

    Also, Magura has a 159mm travel 29er fork, measured and tested by the German BIKE mag.

    The 2013 fox 34 29er forks only come in 140mm, you can buy a couple of little spare parts directly from fox though which convert it to 150mm.

    I bet for 2014 you'll be able to buy several 150mm 29er aftermarket forks...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    wow, great news! thx a lot for helping i will contact fox tomorrow - jippiiiiayeeeeh!
    ...or check this magura forks...
    anyway, thx dude

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    377

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    430 mm chainstays 155mm rear travel 29er? Now that's old Specialized way. Bravo. The only question I have - will they make XL?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Yes

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,723
    Don't want to derail the thread but in that 29er video, I see an adjustable seatpost I don't recognize.

  24. #24
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Don't want to derail the thread but in that 29er video, I see an adjustable seatpost I don't recognize.
    Probably the Command Post IR.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixtup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    262
    <iframe width='900' height='600' src='http://www.vitalmtb.com/slideshow_frame_sources/5153?embed=true' frameborder='0' scrolling='0'></iframe><p style='margin:0; padding:6px 0;' id='VitalSlideshowCaption'><a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/First-Look-Specialized-Enduro-29,5153/Slideshow,0/bturman,109'>First Look: Specialized Enduro 29 - The All-New Bike We Hate To Love</a> &mdash; More <a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com'>Mountain Bike</a> <a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/main'>Photos</a></p>
    The Fix Bikes

    The Fix Bikes

  26. #26
    Cut Casing Whisperer
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432
    Aluminum Comp is already posted to the website: Specialized Bicycle Components

    I wonder when it will be available?

    The short stays are going to slay it!

    P

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    Kick ass Sworks !! Makes my Stumpy Fsr 29er looks like it was designed by Picasso....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE-image.jpg  


  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    454
    Going from 419 up to 430 with the chain stays. Bummer.
    Last edited by JimEG; 02-27-2013 at 02:20 PM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    579
    Geometry at bottom of the article, close up of the IR Command Post ... etc

    Specialized 155mm Travel Enduro 29r Revealed - Bike Rumor
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  30. #30
    the magnificent
    Reputation: dmang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Going from 419 up to 430 with the chain stays. Bummer.
    Chainstay length is the best feature on the bike. They're 450 on the current Stumpy 29. 430 is almost unheard of on a full suspension 29er and should make it super playful. They're not discontinuing the 26 though if that centimeter is a dealbreaker.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by dmang View Post
    Chainstay length is the best feature on the bike. They're 450 on the current Stumpy 29. 430 is almost unheard of on a full suspension 29er and should make it super playful. They're not discontinuing the 26 though if that centimeter is a dealbreaker.
    That centimeter would be a deal breaker - for a 26" wheel. If they are not discontinuing the 26" then it doesn't matter! 430 may be short for a 29er, but for a 26er it would make the handling mediocre. I'm amazed that 430 chain stays are something to get excited about. Good for the big wheel crowd apparently.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    but for a 26er it would make the handling mediocre.
    Just curious - and what full suspension 26 inch bikes have CS shorter than 430mm (not counting Specialized and dedicated slopestyle bikes)?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    Just curious - and what full suspension 26 inch bikes have CS shorter than 430mm (not counting Specialized and dedicated slopestyle bikes)?
    Not many - Banshee does. Most modern AM 26" bikes are right around 430(Tracer2 429, HD 435 for example). The 419mm chain stays and lower BB are what have made Specialized trails bikes handling so unique and good - the BB and CS geo details are the hallmark points of Specialized handling. Not that 430 is long - it is just mediocre - just what everyone else is doing. This applies to 26" bikes. 430 is apparently a magic mark to hit with the big wheeled bikes.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Not many - Banshee does. Most modern AM 26" bikes are right around 430(Tracer2 429, HD 435 for example). The 419mm chain stays and lower BB are what have made Specialized trails bikes handling so unique and good - the BB and CS geo details are the hallmark points of Specialized handling. Not that 430 is long - it is just mediocre - just what everyone else is doing. This applies to 26" bikes. 430 is apparently a magic mark to hit with the big wheeled bikes.
    430mm chainstays and 155mm rear travel in a 29er is unheard of, until now. So whereas it may be mediocre for 26, it's damn near groundbreaking for 29ers and no one else is doing it (yet). I loved riding my Lenz Lunchbox because it was super agile and overall fun bike. If I can get even more travel, shorter stays, DBair compatibility and carbon....sign me up.

    I'm hoping the sworks is available as a frame only. I wonder if the forks in that vitalmtb video are the rumored 160mm travel Rockshox forks?

  35. #35
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,033
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    97
    Another ride review here - Specialized Enduro 29er Review

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31
    The 29er s-works has an internal routed command post. I just got a '13 26" enduro and want that post, anyone know any information about when it might be avaible?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    The 29er s-works has an internal routed command post. I just got a '13 26" enduro and want that post, anyone know any information about when it might be avaible?
    It's not showing up on Specialized's dealer site yet. I imagine it will be dropped when the rest of the 2014 stuff hits, but that's just a guess.

  39. #39
    NMBP
    Reputation: gfs69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Aluminum Comp is already posted to the website: Specialized Bicycle Components

    I wonder when it will be available?


    P
    I was told May.

  40. #40
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I was told May.
    According to the dealer site, May is correct.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    176
    I want it in red, white is blah looking. Doesn't look like its going to be available though

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Any weights for the alloy M size? Is it much heavier than the 26 Enduro?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Bikerumor weighed theirs at 27.9 lbs with pedals

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,806
    Sweet another Big S bike with a custom yoke tailed shock.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Well, 27.9 lbs is the S-WORKS carbon weight. I'm interested in the M size alloy weight.

    I guess the Enduro 29er would be great on the rough stuff and down hills, but what about uphills? will the FOX 34 Float 150mm cause any difficulties going uphill due to the fact that this is a LARGE massive fork (as far as I know, it's the longest travel 29er fork today).

    Thanks, Mo.
    Last edited by mo6500; 03-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    I don't know how much climbing ability (front wheel staying to the ground) is influenced by the short chainstays.

    My extra large Stumpjumper FSR 29er climbs like crazy with a 140mm 29er Revelation and a 30mm(!) short stem. NO front end wandering at all. But it also has long chain stays and a really long wheelbase.

    It climbs like a goat, even with the tall fork and some spacers under the stem. At the same time it isn't nimble.

    I am really, really curious how well the Enduro climbs. I don't doubt that it is crazy good going down. I also don't think that the travel really hinders climbing performance.

    Front end wandering or not, that remains to be seen.

    Greetings Znarf

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Thanks Znarf!
    ===========

    Glad to hear that a 140mm 29er Revelation doesn't hinders your climbing performance.
    I guess that there won't be any big difference between 140 and 150mm fork regarding climbing ability.

    I just hope that the alloy Enduru 29er won't be too heavy, and that the weight won't hinder the climbing performance.

    Now, I'm totally aware that the alloy Enduro 29er is an AM bike, so I don't expect it to climb as well as a Giant Anthem 29er, Trek Superfly or any similar bikes.

    I ride for the fun. I don't race and have no intentions of racing in the future. But still, a good climbing ability is not less important for me than the downhill ability.

    Mo.
    Last edited by mo6500; 03-02-2013 at 12:23 PM.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sweet another Big S bike with a custom yoke tailed shock.
    I feel ya, man. I just bought a Porsche Boxster but wanted to drop in a classic 327 Chevy small block engine. They gave me some crap about the engine on the Porsche being custom-designed and all this other BS about integration and how their engineers tuned the "boxer" engine to that car, weight distribution, years of research, blah blah.

    It really sucks that Porsche doesn't allow me to just drop in a Chevy motor. Why can't I do that? That sucks. How dare they.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    I feel ya, man. I just bought a Porsche Boxster but wanted to drop in a classic 327 Chevy small block engine. They gave me some crap about the engine on the Porsche being custom-designed and all this other BS about integration and how their engineers tuned the "boxer" engine to that car, weight distribution, years of research, blah blah.

    It really sucks that Porsche doesn't allow me to just drop in a Chevy motor. Why can't I do that? That sucks. How dare they.
    Sure you can.

    konahonzo

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    871
    Another intro story, with some details on different models and equipment specs. Sadly, not due for the US market, yet, only the Comp SE.

    Specialized Ups the Ante: Specialized Enduro 29er

    And wait'll they translate those short stays onto the Stumpy.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    I feel ya, man. I just bought a Porsche Boxster but wanted to drop in a classic 327 Chevy small block engine. They gave me some crap about the engine on the Porsche being custom-designed and all this other BS about integration and how their engineers tuned the "boxer" engine to that car, weight distribution, years of research, blah blah.

    It really sucks that Porsche doesn't allow me to just drop in a Chevy motor. Why can't I do that? That sucks. How dare they.
    Your sarcasm fails, an engine swap isn't the same as a shock on a bike.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    I'm not a fan of proprietary anything, but if I got the frame with the DBair I doubt that I would want to 'upgrade'. I do see your point though, not fun being forced into certain parts especially at that price level. If I had to choose between yoke or 17.5+ stays, I'll take the yoke.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Your sarcasm fails, an engine swap isn't the same as a shock on a bike.
    Awesome, you win. Later.

  54. #54
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276

    prototype

    we had one in the shop the other day We couldn't ride it, but I was able to sit on it.. Pretty sexy bike .. Will be available in a few months
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE-enduro-29er.jpeg  

    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    W-o-w! I want one too.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    629
    I've always been an anti-specialized guy, simply because the dealers here are horrible...but that new enduro 29er really strikes my interest. Being on the taller side, the bigger wheels feel much more comfortable underneath me and very curious if a long travel 29er can compare with the 26/27.7 wheels. Up until now, a 29er with frame geo like this was almost unheard of. I had my heart set on the new norco, but I guess I'll wait a few weeks to see if I can throw a leg over this bike. My dealer says they should be arriving in about 2-3 weeks.

    I'm guessing it will either be awesome, or a complete dissapointment...only time will tell...

  57. #57
    NMBP
    Reputation: gfs69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,158
    Ordered an XL all black Comp. It is a fairly decent build, but I plan on swapping out a few parts, including the wheels, brakes, stem, post, and handle bar. OK, more than a few things, but the only thing new is the bar, and maybe the stem if my 90mm Thomson is too long. Can't come quick enough!

    Edit: Replacing the shifters with X9 as well.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Here's Specialized Enduro Comp 29 (aluminum) first ride impressions:

    First Impression: Specialized Enduro Comp 29 | Dirt Rag Magazine.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,262
    My LBS got 3 Enduro 29er Comp SEs in yesterday. Took a medium and a large for a spin.
    They are BIG bikes. The large is longer than a large 2013 Demo. They ride nice, but you do feel like you are sitting in the bike. It is a weird feeling. I own a 29er HT so I'm use to riding 29ers. The bike is around 33 lbs, but it doesnt pedal like it. With the CTD is climb mode the bob is minimal and it is an efficient feeling bike. It feels really fast too. Even with the big tires on it the bike holds it's speed very well.

    In person the blue looks REALLY good too. Much better than the pix.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,806
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Ordered an XL all black Comp. It is a fairly decent build, but I plan on swapping out a few parts, including the wheels, brakes, stem, post, and handle bar. OK, more than a few things, but the only thing new is the bar, and maybe the stem if my 90mm Thomson is too long. Can't come quick enough!

    Edit: Replacing the shifters with X9 as well.
    90mm seems long for a 150mm travel am bike.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    783
    How about manuals wheelies and bunny hops?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    52
    How does it pedal/feel compared to a Stumpy 29 Comp?
    "...there was a time, and that time was so long ago..."

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    Tested out the enduro 29 and the stumpy evo 29 today at center cycle. Ended up picking up the enduro 29 in the sweet black and blue combo. My parking lot assessment might not be all telling but coming from a dh centered background the enduro just felt "right". The stumpy felt like it was gonna be more plush than my trance x 29er but still felt a bit more trail oriented than I was looking for. Ill post ride impressions as soon I have time to throw a leg over it, next two days of work are gonna be agonizing!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Hey galbraithrider!
    ==============
    Thanks for your post. It came right on time!!!

    I'm riding a Trek Rumblefish (120mm F/R) and it's been a while that I'm thinking of a long travel 29er AM bike (won't go back to a 26" bike!). The enduro 29 is on the top of my list, but I'm a little worried about the bike's weight, so I'm really looking forward to your ride impressions.

    Please tell us how the enduro 29 is climbing. Read that the comp SE weights around 33 lbs. It's not a light bike so I'm really curious about it's climbing ability. I know it's an AM bike so I'm not expecting it to climb like a 100mm carbon XC 29er, but still I'd like it to be able to get me to the top...

    I'd also like to how it handles on the flat terrain, for occasional long distance rides with my friends (30-35 miles).

    Regarding the enduro 29 DH ability - I'm sure it's confident inspiring that rides like a dream.

    Thanks, Mo.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23
    Just picked up my 29 comp from center cycles (I think they still have one or two)! I didn't have much time to set it up. Just put a proper stem and bar on and headed to the local dh trails. For not having the bike setup and first ride I was very impressed. I have never really ridden a 29er as could never bring my self to ride a bike with 18+ chainstays. The bike feels big in a good way very stable I felt at home on it right off the bat. It was a a little slow in some really tight turns (similar to a dh bike) but I have been spending a lot of time on my 26 stumpy evo. Will getter her setup better and provide a proper write up. For now I'm heading back to the woods!

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Thanks rich2007!
    =============
    Gonna wait for you write up too.
    Enjoy your 29 comp and have safe rides.

    Mo.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    The Enduro Comp 29er is being tested by MBACTION.

    Trail Testing: Specialized Enduro Comp 29er | News | mountain-bike-action

    Stay tuned for the full write-up...

    Mo.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    How about manuals wheelies and bunny hops?
    Here's a little video of my maiden voyage with a wheelie near the beginning.
    Not being able to bunny hop or throw the bike around was a worry, so I was very pleased that it felt as close as any 29er I"ve ridden to my 26.

  69. #69
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,474

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    Quote Originally Posted by K2D2 View Post

    Here's a little video of my maiden voyage with a wheelie near the beginning.
    Not being able to bunny hop or throw the bike around was a worry, so I was very pleased that it felt as close as any 29er I"ve ridden to my 26.
    From the video it looks like you left the plastic reflectors on the wheels. You should take those off as the additional once of rotational weight may slow you down

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    From the video it looks like you left the plastic reflectors on the wheels. You should take those off as the additional once of rotational weight may slow you down
    That explains it! I thought I would be leading the climbs and was sorely disappointed after spending a bunch of money that I was STILL in last place! With the reflectors (and 20 lbs!) off, I'll be first up!

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D2 View Post

    That explains it! I thought I would be leading the climbs and was sorely disappointed after spending a bunch of money that I was STILL in last place! With the reflectors (and 20 lbs!) off, I'll be first up!
    Where did you pick it up since you are in SD?

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    783
    How did it feel on jumps?

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    [QUOTE=Salespunk;10354188]Where did you pick it up since you are in SD?[/QUOTEB
    Black Mt Cycle in Mira Mesa. They only had 1 and it was an XL. I was waiting when they opened.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    How did it feel on jumps?
    Pretty good. I only do bunny hops, but it felt about the same as my 26 stumpjumper.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    75
    I just rode my new large enduro comp 29er 2nd ride yesterday at the Demo Forest in Santa Cruz Ca. Braille trail and Saw Pitt trail. This is my local trail and I've ridden it on my 09 Enduro 26er at least once a month for ages. I did all the jumps and drops there are (mostly 2 and 3 footers or less). Feels way smoother on the flats and the ride out was a super smooth. I sat down over way more of the little stuff while pedaling, which helped me spin (my weak spot) and save energy. Jumps felt the same as the 26er. I was feeling a little hesitant being on a different bike, but it just flew over and surprised me by getting a bit higher than I usually get on my 09 Enduro 26er. I did not push the speed as I was trying to get the feel of the bike and not wreck my new toy yet (likely later). I seemed to keep up fine with the same guy I always ride with. Overall, for a first ride, I like it a lot. Like the writeup says you will need a good bit of pressure in front and rear shocks to get them to stop drooping so much. This makes any trial ride suspect as the shops seem to set them up soft. I weigh 180 and ended up with 100lbs in front (I worked up from the 70 the shop set it at) and still need to work on rear shock. I put in 220 thinking that was a lot but it still bottoms out on drops more than 3' even on the trail setting (the writeup says go for 300lbs so I will try that next). I used to have the same problem on my Enduro 26er before I used a trick which involves putting 7-10ml of shock oil into the air chamber to make the air pressure ramp up faster. Worked fantastic on that bike (small bump response same but big bumps didn't bottom out). I am not sure if that will work on the rear CTC shock with the autosag. By the way the autosag is great for an initial setting. I have no idea how to modify that setting though. All in all I like the bike. I would say I love the bike but I was not aware it would be so heavy 32.5lbs compared to my enduro 26er at 29.5. I notice it when I pick it up but not when riding. It hops, wheelies, jumps and everythng pretty much exactly the same. On the other hand my reflexes are not as quick anymore (58yrs or thrashing) so maybe it just fits my style. I did tend to feel like my 26er could get a bit twitchy at higher speeds. I will post more info as I get in more rides. Oh, I weighed the wheels and each was only approx 2oz heavier than my 26er wheels. Must be the frame etc that gained weight. Then again I broke the chainstay and then the seatstay on my Enduro 26er so maybe this is just a stronger more downhill oriented frame. So, weight loss will be cheaper if it involves me more than the bike.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    Thanks, great write up and direct comparison on your local trail with 26/29 versions of the Enduro. I'm working to set up my suspension, so your tips are really helpful. My LBS also set it up very soft. I am changing from a 26 stumpjumper, so there is the difference in head angle too, so hearing that it 'feels' the same is good. That was my worry that the ability to hop, wheelie etc would not be there like on the other 29er's I have tried. I think it really is a game changer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathrips View Post
    I just rode my new large enduro comp 29er 2nd ride yesterday at the Demo Forest in Santa Cruz Ca. Braille trail and Saw Pitt trail. This is my local trail and I've ridden it on my 09 Enduro 26er at least once a month for ages. I did all the jumps and drops there are (mostly 2 and 3 footers or less). Feels way smoother on the flats and the ride out was a super smooth. I sat down over way more of the little stuff while pedaling, which helped me spin (my weak spot) and save energy. Jumps felt the same as the 26er. I was feeling a little hesitant being on a different bike, but it just flew over and surprised me by getting a bit higher than I usually get on my 09 Enduro 26er. I did not push the speed as I was trying to get the feel of the bike and not wreck my new toy yet (likely later). I seemed to keep up fine with the same guy I always ride with. Overall, for a first ride, I like it a lot. Like the writeup says you will need a good bit of pressure in front and rear shocks to get them to stop drooping so much. This makes any trial ride suspect as the shops seem to set them up soft. I weigh 180 and ended up with 100lbs in front (I worked up from the 70 the shop set it at) and still need to work on rear shock. I put in 220 thinking that was a lot but it still bottoms out on drops more than 3' even on the trail setting (the writeup says go for 300lbs so I will try that next). I used to have the same problem on my Enduro 26er before I used a trick which involves putting 7-10ml of shock oil into the air chamber to make the air pressure ramp up faster. Worked fantastic on that bike (small bump response same but big bumps didn't bottom out). I am not sure if that will work on the rear CTC shock with the autosag. By the way the autosag is great for an initial setting. I have no idea how to modify that setting though. All in all I like the bike. I would say I love the bike but I was not aware it would be so heavy 32.5lbs compared to my enduro 26er at 29.5. I notice it when I pick it up but not when riding. It hops, wheelies, jumps and everythng pretty much exactly the same. On the other hand my reflexes are not as quick anymore (58yrs or thrashing) so maybe it just fits my style. I did tend to feel like my 26er could get a bit twitchy at higher speeds. I will post more info as I get in more rides. Oh, I weighed the wheels and each was only approx 2oz heavier than my 26er wheels. Must be the frame etc that gained weight. Then again I broke the chainstay and then the seatstay on my Enduro 26er so maybe this is just a stronger more downhill oriented frame. So, weight loss will be cheaper if it involves me more than the bike.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    383
    Hey Mathrips!

    Thanks for your detailed review!

    Did you try any uphills? If you did, please tell us how was it.

    Mo.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    75
    Uphill for about 3/4 hour on each of those trails. Not so much stand in the pedals uphill, but a long grind in granny gear. The front lockout is the same as my 26er, (both have fox forks) the rear is softer so far. It reminds me to spin rather than just push down on the pedals. It is enough to notice when I forget to spin, but the climbing did not wear me out any more than usual. I was concerned too, as this trail works me on the endless uphills, but I did just as well as usual, though I have to admit I don't usually spin. New tricks.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    Sadly I have yet to get mine on an actual trail. Stupid work and school schedule! At any rate, I used the auto sag feature and thought the rear felt just right riding around in my yard. While the bike is a bit weighty I think it's mostly the component selection on the comp model. I've got a few lighter parts to bolt on from my trance x 29er and its nice that specialized include tubeless valves for easy conversion right away. Ill post my final build and weight as soon as I get it all set up. My ride impressions won't come until Sunday at the earliest sadly...

  80. #80
    Cut Casing Whisperer
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathrips View Post
    ...still need to work on rear shock. I put in 220 thinking that was a lot but it still bottoms out on drops more than 3' even on the trail setting (the writeup says go for 300lbs so I will try that next). I used to have the same problem on my Enduro 26er before I used a trick which involves putting 7-10ml of shock oil into the air chamber to make the air pressure ramp up faster...
    Don't put oil in the shock as it can migrate to the negative chamber and screw with the ride. Fox sells internal spacers for $25 that will do the job and is a 10 minute install.

    This will help with midstroke as well. I did it to my 2010 Enduro, and it made the bike much more supported and pumpable for smoother terrain like yours.

    Great write up, thanks!

    P

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    Sort of a related question to climbing. Is there a 20 tooth granny gear that will fit the Custom SRAM S-1250, 10-speed AM double, PF30 spindle w/ shift guard, 175mm that comes on this bike? I know most people don't want a granny that they can walk faster than, (but with that logic, everyone would walk in LA at rush hour, and nobody walks in LA). But I even have a 20x34 on my 26". It took some filing of the crankset, but no chain suck and I love it as I grind up hills always firmly in last place. But like you said with more energy for the downhills which is the fun part for me.

  82. #82
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    I can't see why an action tec 20T ring wouldn't work.

    I run a 20 front, 39 rear setup on my Banshee Paradox for the brutal steep alpe trails.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    That is an impressively low gear! Good to hear. Balance, not speed, is my only friend on climbs.
    Sounds like the Action Tec is the correct bolt pattern for the SRAM 2x10, plus this bike has a bash guard and a one of a kind front derailleur mounted to a "taco blade". But I can try it and see. I got the 4 bolt Shimano 20T from ebay and it has been great. Does this look like the right one?
    CHAIN RING SPROCKET MOUNTAIN 20T TOOTH 64 BCD STAINLESS ACTION TEC MOUNTAIN GOAT?
    Last edited by K2D2; 04-30-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: correction

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18
    I just finished first ride on my large enduro changed out the bars to sunline 745 lowered the stem feels money. 4 mile steep climb and was very happy I thought it climbed great my 26er is a canfield one so 32 pounds is pretty good. Only bummer was tiger mountain had mass amounts of snow at the top so I just turned around desended the fire road. The bike feels very stable at speed and I am really looking forward to taking it to exit 27 should be a ripper

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks Mr. P. I will try the spacer.

  86. #86
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    @K2D2 : yes, but make sure it is the new 10 speed version.
    It should came with little spacers to prevent the chain from touching the crank spider.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    20.100 FR thanks. I don't see that there is that option when I ordered. I tried to contact the seller but wasn't able. Hopefully it will come with the spacers. And I'll know to use them. Thanks.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    Finally get to take mine out tomorrow! After all my changes it weighs in at 30.10 lbs including a dropper post. I could drop more with my arch/Hadley wheelset but I feel like the roval rims fit the frame usage better...

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    Initial thoughts on the ride are that it's a ripper for sure! Front end feels a little big on tight techy turns, but its not really any worse than the trance x 29er I've been on the last few months. Today was an xc ride out at my local trails, I'm hoping to get in some more vert later this week...2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367789842.753955.jpg

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    783
    Sick. Can you compare to a 6" 26" bike? As poppy and playful?

  91. #91
    There's always next year.
    Reputation: padrefan1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider View Post
    Front end feels a little big on tight techy turns, but its not really any worse than the trance x 29er I've been on the last few months. Today was an xc ride out at my local trails, I'm hoping to get in some more vert later this week...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367789842.753955.jpg 
Views:	10471 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	796406
    I was out at this area today on my '13 Epic--didn't get that far 'south' however. Was a great day in Black Diamond! Previous bike for me was a Tracer 29er with the 140mm fork, I can echo "little big" idea on those trails... as they turn, and turn and turn again! I could plow through anything though if I didn't have the speed though, which was nice.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    75
    What changes did you make to lose weight and which did you feel made the most difference?
    Thanks

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103

    Another little video of our weekly ride. Still trying to get the bike dialed in. Got riser bars and stem. I used the autosag to set the rear shock but it was way too soft, so I added about 20 lbs on the trail and it helped. I also added air to the front shock too. Rebound seems too slow on the rear and too fast on the front...Time will tell. Bike weight stock for XL is 33.5 lbs. Can't wait for the 20T chainring to arrive. Still need to convert to Stans tubeless and play with much lower tire pressure. In video it's about 24 in front but seems way too firm.
    Last edited by K2D2; 05-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    My bike had quite a bit changed before my first ride that got the weight down a bit. I had a trance x 0 frame that I built up that i was able to cherry pick a few parts off of. Biggest change was probably tubeless conversion as the rolling weight makes the most difference but ditching the front shifter set up probably helped a bit...
    Build:
    Enduro 29 comp frame
    Fox 34 float w/ctd trail cartridge
    Sram carbon cranks w/28 tooth mrp ring
    Sram x9 rear shifter
    Sram xo brakes
    Sram pg1050 cassette
    Crank bros kronolog post
    Raceface atlas stealth bars(need to cut down to 30")
    The rest of the build is stock. To answer the question above, it's pretty comparable to the long travel 26" bikes I've been on before. I will say however you still know your on a 29" wheel platform but i didnt feel it was cumbersome at all...It was a blast on the new exodus trail dh flow section.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18
    just finish four days of riding my enduro. I must say that specialized nailed the geo, the bike is fast and carries so much speed. I road everything from steep roots with drops to peddlie high speed single track to the root nar. It is very nimble easy to jump (way fun to jump) manual and is very quick handling, all 29ers will go to similar geo. I ride aggressive and fast and have been riding for 20 years and this bike is just a blast. Now for the only neg about the bike both the shock and the fork bottomed out and 2-4 drops and high speed hits, so I am going to put a spacer in the shock and have it pushed and also have the fork pushed and yes my sag was correct I had to run to much air pressure to get it right. Companies need to ride there suspension and ride it hard and get the tuning dialed. With that being said it is my daily driver and go to bike I just feel so confident on the bike looking for more tech lines to hit.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yuppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    430 mm chainstays 155mm rear travel 29er? Now that's old Specialized way. Bravo. The only question I have - will they make XL?
    Yeah I rode the XL out back of the LBS last weekend and it was great. I've got a large ordered. I want to know what the weak points of the bike could be? Drivetrain? I know the brakes aren't that great... What about the fork, the drivetrain?

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Whoo hooo! Just got the call, mine will b here by the end of the week! Plans just changed for the weekend!

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    783
    Great reviews guys I am almost convinced to buy the 29 s works frame over the 26

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103
    The ring came yesterday, but no spacers. Hmmm. Wonder if there are ones with the current chain ring? Should I make the mod and try without spacers? I'm working late all week either way, so I will have to wait til Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    @K2D2 : yes, but make sure it is the new 10 speed version.
    It should came with little spacers to prevent the chain from touching the crank spider.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    382

    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

    As far as stock build weakness goes for me I found the following:
    1)the fork feels plush but after swapping out the ctd cartridge with a ctd trail cartridge it felt even better and being able to set the firmness of the trail setting is nice
    2) I flipped the stem with a 5mm spacer underneath to get a zero rise effect and get my bars right where I wanted them
    3) the stock flat bars felt alright but I can't ride anything under 30" anymore
    4) the hubs are decent but time will tell if specialized has improved the durability or not...
    5) the drivetrain is decent, the x9 derailleur shifted nicely but I did upgrade to an x9 shifter
    6) not sure I like the purgatory rear tire, I think a captain 2.2 may be in the future back there but ill give the purg a few more rides

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •