mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2014 camber evo 29 vs 2014 stumpjumper fsr comp 29

I'm looking at these two bikes (I've narrowed it down to these two as the deal I can get on them removes other bikes from consideration) to get into the FS trail bike game. I am currently riding a 100mm travel HT 29. I ride in central Texas where there are plenty of rocks in all shapes and sizes.

I rented the camber evo 29 from a LBS this past weekend and rode it at 3 of the trails I frequent. It was obviously a huge difference from my HT but I loved it. The bike tracks through chunk so much better then my HT and I didn't really notice pedal bob pedaling in or out of the saddle which I thought was odd because I've read the Horst/four bar design causes this. Was something set up incorrect? Either way I enjoyed riding this bike at each trail and it really opened up my eyes to the benefits of a trail bike.

The problem I'm having deciding between the two bikes is I'm not able to give the stumpy a test ride on some trails to get an idea of the differences between the two bikes.

This is where I'm hoping you guys can give me your thoughts on the two bikes. The geometry numbers are very similar and the spec is very similar as well. Camber has 120mm or travel with a RS Reba and the stumpy has 130mm of travel with a RS revelation.

I'm conflicted because I can see both sides of the travel discussion (why lug around the extra travel if you're not going to use it vs it'd be nice to have the extra travel and not need it etc). I never used the entire travel on the camber evo but came close a couple times.

Any help is appreciated! Let me know if you want geometry numbers or more spec

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm in a similar situation, but I'm looking at the Stumpy EVO Comp 29 and a Trek Remedy 8 and 9.7. Good luck, cause I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    This is where I'm hoping you guys can give me your thoughts on the two bikes. The geometry numbers are very similar and the spec is very similar as well. Camber has 120mm or travel with a RS Reba and the stumpy has 130mm of travel with a RS revelation.
    Hey Trevor, i took delivery of my Camber Evo Expert about 3 weeks ago and I'm a very happy boy. I was coming from a similar position as you, my previous ride being a 29 inch hardtail (sometimes SS). I also had a Yeti 575 which was getting a bit old and heavy (by current standards) and I was finding I just don't ride it anymore. I loved the hardtail, I love picking a line and getting through smoothly, however I was finding that for longer days, it was just exhausting... so essentially I was looking for something in between the two bikes I had.

The other issue for me was that a friend of mine recently bought a 26 stumpy s-works and I fell in love with that - possibly the most balanced bike I've ever ridden BUT i was still noticing that on longer days, it saps too much energy (+ I dont go that big - I still like to pick a line).

To me the camber EVO seems the perfect DO IT ALL - it's long and low, the most stable bike I've ridden. The suspension is supple and really smooths out a poor line choice (not to mention the endless grip!) but you don't bob/bounce around and feel like you're wasting all your energy - it also doesn't give you that disconnected feeling that you can get with a long travel bike - one thing I always loved about the hardtail is if you jump to clear something you always know exactly where your wheels will be, but on full sussers, they could be anywhere in their travel and this can have some bad outcomes (face meets hillside etc.).

One thing to be weary of is that the stumpy has super short chainstays, while the camber has quite long stays - this does chance the character of the bike quite a lot, so the camber is not as playful feeling (front end is much harder to lift). However - the added stability gives you the confidence to play around in different ways... so it's still a fun ride.

So - while I haven't ridden the 29 inch Stumpy, I think the feeling/purpose would be similar, and for my purposes and style the camber is the perfect bike. I can't rate it highly enough.

Fishing/ Biking
    I got a 13 Camber Comp and love it. I test rode a Stumpy as well, before I decided. The Camber was a little cheaper than the Stumpy, but I just didn't think I needed more travel. The Stumpy was definitely more "plush", but being so you may get a little more pedal bob and that "disconnected" feeling someone else mentioned. The Stumpy would be better for bombing downhill and taking bigger jumps with a little more ease. That is not to say you couldn't do the same on the Camber, because it is a super fast bike that even a beginner like me has some great times on downhill segments. You can't go wrong with the Camber.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you used up most of the travel on the camber...I'd go for the stumpy. You could push that one a bit harder and get away with it just fine. Just a personal opinion though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    These are some geometry numbers for each.

Stumpy comp 29 / camber evo 29 in mm and degrees.

Top tube horizontal: 622 / 617
    BB height: 338 / 330
    Chainstay: 450 / 451
    Head tube angle: 69 / 68.8
    Wheelbase: 1175 / 1161
    Stack: 638 / 633
    Reach: 445 / 432

That's for a size large. The chainstays are similar for the 29er, wheelbase is shorter on the camber as well as the stack and reach (albeit very subtle differences). They both seem like they would be similarly playful.

mtbr member
    I have test riden both the Comp SJ 29, the Evo SJ 29, and now own a Camber Evo 29 (all aluminum frames). I wound up with the Camber because it had a little more snap than the Evo SJ, but better geometry (for me) then Comp SJ. I am riding in the southern Appalachain area (Pisga, DuPont, Iron Mountain), so lots of roots some rocky areas an a bit of climbing in order to get to the descents.

I have had mine for about a month now and love the Camber. Originally I was going to ride the Camber for a year and then move on to a SJ, but I think at this point I will stick with the Camber Evo or upgrade to the carbon version of the same bike. I hope that helps you out.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: 2014 camber evo 29 vs 2014 stumpjumper fsr comp 29

Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9 View Post
    I have test riden both the Comp SJ 29, the Evo SJ 29, and now own a Camber Evo 29 (all aluminum frames). I wound up with the Camber because it had a little more snap than the Evo SJ, but better geometry (for me) then Comp SJ. I am riding in the southern Appalachain area (Pisga, DuPont, Iron Mountain), so lots of roots some rocky areas an a bit of climbing in order to get to the descents.

Can you explain how the geometry was better for you on the camber evo? What differences did you feel?

Also, were the overall differences between the SJ comp and camber evo as subtle as the numbers suggest? Handling, cornering, climbing, etc similar?

mtbr member
    The slacker head angle on the Camber Evo makes it a bit more stable descending than the Comp SJ, but doesn't make it feel slugish on the climbs like the even slacker SJ Evo. Wheelbase wise, the Camber is a touch shorter than both the Comp SJ and the SJ Evo. I never felt a difference between the Comp SJ and the Camber Evo, but the longer wheelbase and the slacker ht angle on the SJ Evo make it not as much fun when things are flat or pointed up.

For me, the Comp SJ is a little ho-hum when when climbing and on the flats, but doesn't really rip when pointed down either. The SJ Evo is a ball on the descents, but you have to work your butt off to make it fun when climbing or on the flats (it doesn't just settle in a cruise well). The Camber Evo climbs better than either and descends better than the Comp SJ, so is more fun all around for me in my home terain.

As for cornering, I feel it is more of a tire thing for all threemodels, with the meatier Butcher/Purgatory combo on the Evos giving a lot more confidence than the Purgatory/GC combo on the Comp SJ.

As a side note, I demoed a S-Works SJ 29 last summer and loved it. It climbed night a day better than the three models above and descended better than the Comp SJ for some reason. BUT, I am a mechanic and will never be able to afford a $10k bike.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I test rode a few SJ's at the local Specialized Demo Day a couple days ago. I was initially torn between the Epic and SJ. I started a thread on it actually. I wanted the speed and climbing ability of the Epic, but the solid feel and "fun factor" of the SJ. I just couldnt decide. The Camber is the perfect compromise. It's not as fast as the Epic on the smoother flowy stuff, and doesnt bomb the downhills like an SJ, but it does both well enough to make it a perfect do it all bike. It was a no brainer. I'm pulling the trigger on a Camber EVO (aluminum, cant afford the expert carbon). The base Camber / Comp isnt really worth it in my opinion, but the EVO absolutely rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I absolutely loved my time on the camber evo and that's why just riding the SJ comp around a parking lot better wow me or fit/feel a lot better than the camber evo.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask more questions if they arise.

mtbr member
    I've had the sj evo 29 for about a year. Picked it over the camber only for some of the specs and got a great deal on it. My old back loves the plushness. A riding buddy has the camber and I love riding it as well. Personally I'd always pick the bike with more suspension, but since you've rode the camber and liked it I might lean that way. Don't think you could wrong with either bike. The sj evo descends like a run away train, but does suffer some on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Are you keeping the HT? If so, go for the Stumpy. If you are selling the HT get the Camber for your one bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was going to make a thread exactly like this. I'm torn between the two bikes haha. I'm also coming from a 100mm HT 29.

mtbr member
    I have had 2014 ST FSR Comp Carbon a few months now. Ordered Camber S-works frame but it was delayed so I bought ST.
    Now Camber SW -frame is coming, but I really dont know if I want to change... Iv had really enjoyed riding with ST.

I had Epic last year, but found it a bit too hars. Before Epic I had ST Evo Expert 26", it was really fun bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I do plan on keeping the hardtail. My thinking was that the SJ would fill the other end of the spectrum. I hope to at least ride the SJ around the parking lot this weekend so I can get an idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I do plan on keeping the hardtail. My thinking was that the SJ would fill the other end of the spectrum. I hope to at least ride the SJ around the parking lot this weekend so I can get an idea.
    I had an Epic for just over a year but had issues with the Brian shock so it got sold and I ended up on an El Mariachi HT with 100mm fork. The El Mariachi is now a SS and I demo'ed both the SJ FSR Comp and the Camber Evo (aluminum frames for both). I ended up on the SJ because it felt like the perfect bike to add when I already had the El Mariachi. The Camber felt a bit compromised and I had more fun on the SJ. It felt so much more plush and railed the downhills better. For an only bike I might have considered the Camber Evo more closely but I am loving the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any update?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No update. Haven't ridden the SJ yet but I might actually get to test it out on a trail soon. I'll make my decision after that.