mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2013 Stumpjumper fsr Carbon Expert 29er price

So down and dirty

$6200 bike for $4400 .... Should I pull the trigger on it?

I currently ride a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite 26er w/Brain ..

Main difference between bikes, carbon, 29" wheels, 130mm travel as opposed to 140mm travel on the 26er. Both have Brain.

Should I bother? Just want some short and to the point feedback from guys who may have had a 26er Stumpjumper and gone to the 29er. Like it or hate it, or didn't really make a difference?

mtbr dismember

Since you asked

I've had several 26ers and now two 29er SJ with brains. Unless asked I rarely say anything about my 29ers because of all the hype. But it is all true. Also now carbon and it's great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is a great price...new or used?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NEW discount price.

Price is for NEW , IF ordered by SATURDAY (that's today)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Smile Stumpy rider to epic 29er

I went from an 08 stumpy expert to an 11 epic. The epic 29 is a much better bike IMO. I can climb steeper hills with better traction from the slightly larger contact patch and have less slippage on the rear tire. Overall I am faster on the same trails vs. my 26 stumpy. It took me about 5 rides to get used to it. That is a good price and just add the new lower priced carbon Rovals and you will have a sweet new bike.
    My wife also races Mtb' s and went from stumpy to 11 epic expert with Rovals and loves her epic.
    My .o2

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm going for it - Fingers crossed

But, I am asking the shop to get me a Stumpjumper EVO Expert (carbon) 29er instead. I just can't spend big bucks on a Brain bike. It has everything I want to try (carbon frame, 29er, 5 inches travel, TALAS fork, dropper post) but NO BRAIN rear suspension. I just couldn't get an "ideal" setting for the Brain. It always seemed to get in the way of absorbing bumps on super technical climbs. And the rebound setting couldn't be adjusted where I wanted it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    ... I just couldn't get an "ideal" setting for the Brain. It always seemed to get in the way of absorbing bumps on super technical climbs. And the rebound setting couldn't be adjusted where I wanted it.
    Thats because you had a 2011. In 2012 they revamped the brains to work actually as they are suppose to. Brains do make the ride less plush though for sure. Anyway, I say go for it and keep your 26er also. I sold my 26er and bought 2 29ers and love them, but now I am selling one 29er and bought an enduro 26er lol. One of each is the only way to go so I can do both types of riding. In my experience, I have more "fun" on 26er's as I flick around, wheelie, jump stuff, and on the 29er I just basically ride and climb fast. If I want to race I'll ride the 29er, if I wanna have fun, I will take the enduro out. Best of both worlds. Just my .02
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    That is definitely a nice price. I was thinking of getting one of those myself, and probably would have bought one for that price!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    DOn't have enough posts to create thread, so will ask my question here Would you guys go for the SJ FSR Expert 29 or the Expert EVO 29?? Mainly going to use the bike for trail riding and a bit on dirt roads. I have been riding the SJ Elite 26" for 3 years and been very satisfied. Want to try something new but kind of stuck between these two models. And while we're at it, XL should be the right size for me if I'm 197 cm tall?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pondus343 View Post
    DOn't have enough posts to create thread, so will ask my question here Would you guys go for the SJ FSR Expert 29 or the Expert EVO 29?? Mainly going to use the bike for trail riding and a bit on dirt roads. I have been riding the SJ Elite 26" for 3 years and been very satisfied. Want to try something new but kind of stuck between these two models. And while we're at it, XL should be the right size for me if I'm 197 cm tall?
    I would recommend the EVO if only because it DOES NOT have a Brain shock. It will be active all the time, but you can service the shock seals yourself. A brain shock can only be serviced by Specialized, because the Nitrogen charge has to be released to remove the Brain hose in order to open the shock.
    When I bought my 2011 SJ FSR Elite , I did not realize it was not owner serviceable. Why carry the extra .25 lbs of Brain feature when the standard platform shocks work great?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Got any experience how the two bikes will differ in handling and ride quality? Where I ride there is 50/50 climbs/descends so i want a bike which is light and agile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pondus343 View Post
    Got any experience how the two bikes will differ in handling and ride quality? Where I ride there is 50/50 climbs/descends so i want a bike which is light and agile.
    Unless the climbs are severely steep and technical I think the 26/29 question is a non-issue. The EVO stumpy has a TALAS fork. My current Stumpy also has a TALAS fork 140/110 . I love it for the few times a month that I use it, it is in fact helpful on steep low speed clims.

My 2011 SJ Elite is 29.25 lbs. It could be a tad lighter with a non-dropper post and lighter pedals. Unfortunately (for me) climbing is more about the rider weight and fitness level than the bike. Since I don't race it is not an issue at all. I don't need to climb fast. I just grind away in a lower gear until it's over without killing myself for the remainder of the ride.

It is not the lightest bike out there, but I didn';t want to spend $10000 for S-Works (who has $10000 for a bike????) .

The 2013 SJ Carbon EVO Expert is 28.8 without pedals, so essentially it's almost the same weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ended up with the Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29 today Hopefully I will have a blast on it. Thanks for the input. Will most likely swap out the fork with kashima. My only concern is the crank which is positioned a bit lower on the EVO. Will post pics and thoughts on the bike if you guys want

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm going to get the Stumpy EXPERT Carbon 29er. Price is too good to ignore and so many good things have been said about the bike. So my 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite 26er will soon be on the market.