mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Stumpjumper comp evo size

Hi all,

Ive sold my 2006 stumpy for comp ( small ) and brought a Norco sight 2 SE in a medium

Broke the frame and had a few other issues so got a full refund.

Now about to order a new EVO tomorrow. Question is what frame size ???

I'm 5.5" and looking at the size chart I should ride a small , but since riding the Norco in a medium the old 2006 stumpy felt too small

The 2006 wheelbase on the small felt to short. But is the EVO totally different now ?

Has anyone got 2012 EVO and what size ?

I'm thinking small but my lbs isn't getting a demos this year.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    just picked up my large 29 evo, I have a med. carve, the large SJ fits me better, I am 5'10" with 30" inseam

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would think a medium will be fine for you

T

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'6.5' and was in the market last March for a 2012 SJ EVO 29 HT. The LBS I went to had a small 2012 SJ Comp 29 HT and a medium 2012 SJ EVO 29 HT. The small felt cramped and I'd probably have to swap out the stem and seatpost to get it to fit better. Tried the medium and felt much better with more room. So I ended up with a medium. The only thing I've done is gone to a shorter stem from a 90mm to a 75mm and I'm still determining which one I like better. At 5'5", I would think a small would be a pretty good fit for you. All I can say is test ride if you can. Also, if you plan to race go with the smaller frame and adjust cockpit as needed.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There is no difference between a regular Stumpjumper and the Evo model. The Evos come with a shorter stem but thats all.

Iīm on the large side of 6.1 and `m riding a large 26" 2012 Stumpi FSR with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    There is no difference between a regular Stumpjumper and the Evo model. The Evos come with a shorter stem but thats all.
    Not exactly true. The shock link is different as well. And if you compare the specs in the geometry chart there are some variances there too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Not exactly true. The shock link is different as well. And if you compare the specs in the geometry chart there are some variances there too.
    Stumpjumper = hardtail

Stumpjumper FSR = Full Suspension

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Er.... Ooops. Didn't realize we were talking hard tail. My bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    You are right, but that is the only difference in the current FSR frame. The main frame and the rear is the same on the both.
    These little angle tweaks and the different shocklink donīt make such a big difference in the overall geometry that someone would need different framesizes between those two models and that is why I stated that both frames are the same....size wise...

Btw. I donīt think we are talking hardtails here?! Are we???

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    You are right, but that is the only difference in the current FSR frame. The main frame and the rear is the same on the both.
    These little angle tweaks and the different shocklink donīt make such a big difference in the overall geometry that someone would need different framesizes between those two models and that is why I stated that both frames are the same....size wise...

Btw. I donīt think we are talking hard-tails here?! Are we???

Sorry guys I do mean the FSR

I rode a 2010 stumpy FSR expert medium this weekend and it felt just about right. I wouldn't want a bike 1 mm bigger. But to be honest when I raised the seat post of a 1 hour hill climb it felt alittle big.

Looking at the 2010 FSR and 2013 FSR EVO both in medium the EVO is slightly bigger and this worried me. So ordered a small EVO 2013