mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2013 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon VS 2014 Stumpjumper Comp EVO

Hi mtbr community, need you input:
    There is a pretty good deal right now on 2013 FSR Comp Carbon 29er $2800 and it is available now.
    2014 Comp Evo is not available until October, and a price is set $3300. I am sure that you wont be able to lower it, as the Evo line seems to be so popular.

So what do you guys thinks, I do like a seat dropper but I can sure find one for $300. I am not a hardcore downhill guy and do like my climbs as well as other technical sections.

There are some reviews that point out that carbon frame is not that much lighter, less then 1lb.

So what do you think, Carbon or Evo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was going to pull the trigger on one of the carbon comp's for $2800 and would have, had I not got a smoking deal on just the comp with dropper post. If you are a DH guy I'd go with the EVO. 2 of the guy I ride with both have the EVO carbon and AL. Neither complain about climbing but sure bomb past us on the DH's. I dont have any issues with my Comp, but on gnarly DH it cant hurt to have a bit more travel. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSTOMZMAN1 View Post
    I was going to pull the trigger on one of the carbon comp's for $2800 and would have, had I not got a smoking deal on just the comp with dropper post. If you are a DH guy I'd go with the EVO. 2 of the guy I ride with both have the EVO carbon and AL. Neither complain about climbing but sure bomb past us on the DH's. I dont have any issues with my Comp, but on gnarly DH it cant hurt to have a bit more travel. Good luck!
    Thanks. The other thing that concerns me is fork? Does fox fork feel to soft? I am 180lb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm 165 but an aggressive rider (I ride Mx @ a inter-adv level) and hate nothing more than a soft front end. My forks (same as the comp carbon) are set up with correct sag via measurement (not advised to just do it buy just air chart, though it was close). I think itís a bit on the soft side but I think I have 70psi (which the air chart rec 70-80psi). I will try adding a bit more psi and see if that helps. When out on the trail going DH they felt plush (and I havenít even started messing with rebound yet). Only while climbing uphill standing (which isnít common) did I really notice the front end bob, even while in the climb position ( I wish it had an actual lock out). As for the shock....primo! I rode my buddies EVO and it felt about the same, but I didnít take it off any nasty drops or scary DH sections etc.. so it wasnít a real test of its potential.

mtbr member
    Go comp carbon over the comp Evo. The carbon frame just rides a lot nicer. I went from an aluminum SJ to a carbon one and I will never go back.
    You can easily swap to the Evo link if you want the Evo Geometry and travel and they arent too expensive. I had an Elite model and switched to an Expert Evo carbon and even though the Evo has more travel and is slacker, the CTD shock's climb mode is outstanding and I think it climbs as well if not better than my lesser travel Elite model.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Go comp carbon over the comp Evo. The carbon frame just rides a lot nicer. I went from an aluminum SJ to a carbon one and I will never go back.
    You can easily swap to the Evo link if you want the Evo Geometry and travel and they arent too expensive. I had an Elite model and switched to an Expert Evo carbon and even though the Evo has more travel and is slacker, the CTD shock's climb mode is outstanding and I think it climbs as well if not better than my lesser travel Elite model.
    Hey Mr. Lynch, is your Evo carbon? I was set originally for Comp Evo, but the wait for 2014 is way to long. have you had a chance to ride non Evo carbon? how does it feel compare. My area does not have any demo stumpy's to try out so have to ask around for experiences.

mtbr member
    My 2013 SJ Evo is carbon. It replaced a 2011 SJ Elite that I "evo-fied" by swapping the RP23s from the Evo, Roval traverse Wheels and I had a Revelation 150 fork.

The carbon bike rides a lot better in my opinion. Capability wise they are equal, handling drops, jumps and climbs in a similar manner. However the carbon frame feels stiffer and more responsive, and really dampens the small trail chatter. It is a very noticeable difference and well appreciated after a long ride.

The aluminum Evo is a great bike too and a lot of fun to ride, so you cant go wrong with that one either!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy