mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2013 Specialized Epic Marathon, chain stay to carbon

Ok so I'm selling my 2012 S-Works epic and getting a epic marathon, can't justify spending another 10k when the marathon is basically an S-Works.

The chain stay is alloy and I want to get rid of that ASAP, my question is - will I be bale to bolt on the carbon stay from the 2013 Sworks epic? Any thing I need to be worried about.?

mtbr'er
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    Ok so I'm selling my 2012 S-Works epic and getting a epic marathon, can't justify spending another 10k when the marathon is basically an S-Works.

The chain stay is alloy and I want to get rid of that ASAP, my question is - will I be bale to bolt on the carbon stay from the 2013 Sworks epic? Any thing I need to be worried about.?
    I don't have an answer for your question, but I'm just curious; why are you selling your S-Works just to replace it with a lower end model of essentially the exact same bike?

mtbr member
    And afterwards you want to spend even more money just for swapping the chainstays? What for?

mtbr member
    That alloy chainstay is gonna kill you while you sleep.

mtbr'er
    Might even kill you while you're awake, they're that bad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ideas on the price for the chain stay? will they sell you one for a marathon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a marathon. Would there be a noticeable difference with a carbon one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I believe it's under 200 grams in weight and that would be about it. I'm just curious about pricing and if you can actually get one. Maybe it's a cheaper upgrade over the cassette which will get replaced when it wears out if something lighter on my Marathon...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I guess the OP must be joking. If you have a 2012 S-Works, why sell it in the first place? Nothing has changed from '12 to '13 -- except for 1x11 on the SRAM build.

I have a '12 SW HT in the XTR build as my main bike and just added the Epic Marathon to the stable. Amazing bike for being three grand less than the S-W version. Yes, I'd love to have XTR brakes, but can add those later.

The bike is as stiff as my SW HT and I don't notice the extra weight (around 3 pounds), but do notice the soft tail.

mtbr member
    I was going to order the carbon rear for my 2013 SJ Expert Evo, but it is $600 for it all. I bet the Epic chain stays would be similar in price, so $300-$400 for the chain stay part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Do you go to weight weenie contest? I can't understand your idea... Very high spent to save some grams and a little more rigidity.. I think to get a sram xx1 to marathon is better apply

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 00XJCO View Post
    I don't have an answer for your question, but I'm just curious; why are you selling your S-Works just to replace it with a lower end model of essentially the exact same bike?
    Why is this of any concern?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    And afterwards you want to spend even more money just for swapping the chainstays? What for?
    If you don't have anything positive to say then don't bother spamming this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I want to thank the people who replied with positive information regarding my original post. To the people that came on this thread just to be a pain in the ass I truly feel sorry for you, you must lead a very boarding and non meaningful life to have to ask me why I want to sell my bike to get another one. I mean seriously people what is your objective in asking me that?

Its pathetic, someone can't ask a question without people going off with passive aggressive type replies to something so genuine, hilarious.

mtbr member
    If you buy a marathon and afterwards an XX1 group you can directly buy the s-works xx1 model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What significance does this have what so ever to this thread.?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What significance does this have what so ever to this thread.?
    Dude, chill out. Your question is very intriguing and I think we're trying to figure out the logic. You have a 1-yr old SW and are swapping it for a Marathon -- I understand that b/c I too swap out bikes all the time and the price point on the Marathon is amazing when compared to the SW. However, I think we're questioning why you'd want to spend a serious chunk of cash to swap out the stays (probably have to replace the whole rear triangle anyway) when a better use of cash might be swapping out the brakes (love my XTR brakes on my SW HT).

I am a weight weenie and do spend money saving grams, but just can't justify your situation. If you don't like conversational discord, you may want to think about it in the future. I apologize if I came across snarky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcsocal View Post
    Dude, chill out. Your question is very intriguing and I think we're trying to figure out the logic. You have a 1-yr old SW and are swapping it for a Marathon -- I understand that b/c I too swap out bikes all the time and the price point on the Marathon is amazing when compared to the SW. However, I think we're questioning why you'd want to spend a serious chunk of cash to swap out the stays (probably have to replace the whole rear triangle anyway) when a better use of cash might be swapping out the brakes (love my XTR brakes on my SW HT).

I am a weight weenie and do spend money saving grams, but just can't justify your situation. If you don't like conversational discord, you may want to think about it in the future. I apologize if I came across snarky.
    First off I don't need to "chill out" you again have posted something with no significance at all to my original post, so why bother posting at all. If you need to "try" and figure out my logic to why I"m selling one bike and purchasing another I feel sorry for someone like you with your lack of unintelligent, unintuitive thinking. What I want to spend money on is my own business NOT yours, so don't tell me what I should do with my money. If I want to purchase a carbon chain stay to complete the carbon frame then I will very well do that, why would i need to replace the entire rear triangle.? You must have problems with your reading skills, when did I ever mention wanting to change out my entire drive train.? You mention that you love your XTR breaks on your bike, GREAT, good for you, I could care less about how much your love your breaks on your bike, AGAIN complete ignorance to my question.

Your a weight weenie, but you can't justify my situation, when did I ever ask you to try and justify my situation, maybe due to the fact that I do NOT have a situation, rather a question, can you not tell the difference.? If I don't like conversation discord I should think twice about posting here, that's what your saying.? Well if I received rational responses that had any relevance to my question there would be no discord.

Again, to the people who responded to my genuine question I had, thank you very much it gave me some in sight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    First off, I apologized if I came across as snarky -- wasn't my intent. Secondly, I never suggested you replace your drivetrain. Thirdly, I told you I get why you sell one bike and buy another -- I do the same.

My comments have been purely from 25 years of experience with buying and building bikes -- maybe where money is better spent, more from helpful suggestion than a criticism.

I own the same bike and just gave my opinion on how it rides as well as my HT as far as stiffness is concerned.

Good luck and enjoy your bike!

p.s. thank you for the compliment

. . . . someone like you with your lack of unintelligent, unintuitive thinking.
    Last edited by rjcsocal; 02-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.