Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bog
    mtbr member

2013 Specialized Enduro Carbon Frameset - $4000?? WTH!

This is getting out of control. $4000 should buy a nice bike and not just a frameset! I realize that this is the top end frame and that there are cheaper options but we're talking about Chinese or Taiwanese made frames here. Haven't we gone way past the point of affordability for any person with a decent job?
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The carbon frame-set is made in Taiwan where their currency keeps going up in value. And as our dollar keeps decreasing... well you get the point. I don't like it either but a lot of people have forgotten how much cheaper Specialized bikes were than other manufacturers; now they are bringing their prices up in line with other companies.

Hell, I remember when the Demo 8 frame was $2200 retail. Much lower than any other company. Now its $2700, in line with all the other manufacturers.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

aka...appBLING72
    Not sure where you got your pricing, but the Sworks enduro frameset is $3,300 and includes the CCDB Air, command post, rear axle, and headset w/bearings.

The carbon SB66 with Fox RP23 shock only is priced at $3,000. Pricey, yeah but not really that out of line with everyone else.

My 2013 sworks enduro frame will be here early October.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Not sure where you got your pricing, but the Sworks enduro frameset is $3,300 and includes the CCDB Air, command post, rear axle, and headset w/bearings.

The carbon SB66 with Fox RP23 shock only is priced at $3,000. Pricey, yeah but not really that out of line with everyone else.

My 2013 sworks enduro frame will be here early October.
    It is $4000 for the frame alone per specialized-

Specialized Bicycle Components

Complete S-works bike is $10,000

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by forceyoda View Post
    It is $4000 for the frame alone per specialized-

Specialized Bicycle Components

Complete S-works bike is $10,000
    Thats weird. I mis-typed, I paid $3,500 plus tax for the sworks enduro Already paid in full and that was why specialized told the dealer I bought it from when I paid. I was right there when he was on the phone. I wonder if it changed or purchases going forward, or if it is a typo? Wow!

mtbr member
    They probably decided they did not want to sell a frame alone and instead push people to the complete bikes.

Trek was asking close to 4000 for their frames last year but this year they are not listed.

A $4,000 frame is bad but i think the s-works complete is a complete ripoff. Even paying full retail for everything you you would not hit $10,000.

mtbr member
    I think its bull ****. Show me another industry that with the same price increases through out the recession.

Its seems like the industry wants to keep less people riding their better bikes.

Couldn't they sell more frames and probably reduce production costs by offering a more reasonable price. Especially on the second or third production runs. Economy of scale?

It seems like they would rather just match the other guys high end price.

Rant off

Who offers the most reasonable upper end carbon frames? FS and HT
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Who offers the most reasonable upper end carbon frames? FS and HT
    Probably the Ibis if you want a close apples to apples comparison to the S-works.

66 carbon $3000
    Ibis Mojo HD $2499
    Intense Carbine $2579
    Nomad Carbon $2800
    Pivot 5.7 carbon $2800
    Transition Covert Carbon- TBD but surely less than $4000
    Complete Trek Remedy 9.8 w XT level components and reverb stealth $5200

mtbr member
    Thx Frc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member

Its seems like the industry wants to keep less people riding their better bikes.

Couldn't they sell more frames and probably reduce production costs by offering a more reasonable price.
    Well if everybody could get a S Works then exactly how special would it be then?

Perhaps Chevrolet will mass produce the Corvette ZR1 so there is so many of them on the market the price will go from $112,000.00 to something more reasonable so I can buy one.

What your definition of a reasonable price and what someone else's is can be subjective.

"Nobody ever said life was going to be fair"

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Well if everybody could get a S Works then exactly how special would it be then?

"Nobody ever said life was going to be fair"
    The fairgrounds, the county fair and the state fair are the only fair in life.

mountain biker
    Probably the Ibis if you want a close apples to apples comparison to the S-works.

66 carbon $3000
    Ibis Mojo HD $2499
    Intense Carbine $2579
    Nomad Carbon $2800
    Pivot 5.7 carbon $2800
    I was recently in the market for a new frame to replace my 2005 Enduro. I wound up getting the Mojo HD for $2400. But to be fair, I had to pay an extra $400 for the dropper post. Which brings the frame to $2800. Which is still over a grand less than MSRP for the Enduro.

I've been in the Specialized family for 12 years, and still have a Demo 8, and I was skeptical about ditching the Horst Link... but I gotta say... the Mojo rides beautifully!
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No evo version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think its bull ****. Show me another industry that with the same price increases through out the recession.

Couldn't they sell more frames and probably reduce production costs by offering a more reasonable price. Especially on the second or third production runs. Economy of scale?
    Very high demand for their bikes. For the past 2 years they have been selling out their top end bikes, they don't even sit around long enough to see the markdowns. PLus it has a CCDB air on the rear, not some mast produced Fox shock that they can get for nothing. The Nomad C is $2900, if you added the CCDB air it would raise the price to around $3400. The only bikes you see sitting around at the end of the year are their lower end models which have been marked down by $1,000.

Complete Nomad C is $10,100, more than Specialized.

As long as people rush out to buy, they will keep the price high. Once sells slow up they will have to drop the price.

But there is also inflation and the dollar losing value. Prices went up about 10% this year, well inflation is increasing around 15% every year for the past 2 years. Mcdonalds has increased pricing on their meals almost by 50 cents, which is about an 8% increase. Bubble gum companies in the past year have decreased the size of their pieces by almost 20%.

We can guess all we want, but costs continue to go up and prices have gone up with all companies. And as long as demand is high, it won't change.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post

As long as people rush out to buy, they will keep the price high.
    it's called exclusivity.

Specialized was sold out of small 2012 s works epics by January of this year and all s works epics by April

Want a McLaren S Works Venge? no dice unless you wanted to pay full pop $18K and had a good rapport with your local Specialized shop.

By keeping the production numbers low you keep exclusivity high.

look on eBay at what 2011 S Works epics are going for...they keep their value due to their exclusivity.

mtbr member
    What's the deadline? I need a few hours to put together what will surely be at least a 20+ page document.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think a lot of people have forgotten the concept of supply and demand. Its not like this air, water or milk were talking about here. Hey, I want a new bike this year and don't like the prices either but as a damn good coach says..."It is what it is".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There's definitely some sticker shock for both the frame and bike.

I like the Sworks enduro a lot. But I don't want a command post, and can you even sell one - I mean who buys ten Spec dropper?

It's not a sweetheart deal, but maybe the handling is there. If so then worth the dough.

Bike prices in general are out of control. What's funny is when I was a teen racing I used to hate that only the fat old guys who couldn't ride for shiz had the super dope bikes.

Chances are the only ones that get sold are to kooks that can't jump.

.... And no one will ever know how it rides...
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010

66 carbon $3000
    Ibis Mojo HD $2499
    Intense Carbine $2579
    Nomad Carbon $2800
    Pivot 5.7 carbon $2800

I'm sure these bikes would compare better to the Expert level Specialized bikes. The S-Works bikes use different carbon layup. They are definitely not mass produced. Bottom line, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Evo is on uk site, change location

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Chances are the only ones that get sold are to kooks that can't jump.

.... And no one will ever know how it rides...
    Well, I pre-ordered mine last week and I can guarantee that it will see plenty of air time and hard riding. Just because people can afford it doesn't mean we all sit at country clubs and sip on fine wine!

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I like the Sworks enduro a lot. But I don't want a command post, and can you even sell one - I mean who buys ten Spec dropper?
    I don't understand why the Command Post isn't more popular. I love mine.

The S works is a nice looking bike. It will be interesting to see how many people jump all over 1x11.

mtbr member
    Im putting 1x11 on my stumpy evo forsure, and either going to build up the sworks enduro frame or just buy the whole bike, was ok with spending about 7500 but now that its 10,000 thats kind of crazy lol!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    I don't understand why the Command Post isn't more popular. I love mine.

The S works is a nice looking bike. It will be interesting to see how many people jump all over 1x11.
    I've had my command post blacklite for two months now, works great. No complaints.

Website

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    PLus it has a CCDB air on the rear, not some mast produced Fox shock that they can get for nothing. The Nomad C is $2900, if you added the CCDB air it would raise the price to around $3400.
    I'm sure if they're making enough CCDB's for Specialized, they must be mass producing those, as well.
    And they're not $500 more than the Fox shocks - retail pricing is about $200 difference.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast