Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    for three!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    2013 are at my LBS. I am going at lunch to look at the Rockhopper 29er. The price went down from 2012 too. (880 vs 940). Same components, but the frame was upgraded to the premium aluminum instead of the M4.
    if that is indeed the case, that's actually a DOWNGRADE. Specialized 'premium aluminum' is their A1, which is a step below their m4 alloy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmalone1 View Post
    if that is indeed the case, that's actually a DOWNGRADE. Specialized 'premium aluminum' is their A1, which is a step below their m4 alloy.
    Exactly, a step up would the M5 which I believe is the Highest grade they are using currently. That is unless in 2013 they come out with M6
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2012

2013 stumpjumper small

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    I've been looking for a "SMALL" S Works epic 29er for my wife since Feb. I've had my dealer look into other dealers inventory and what is comming down the line from Specialized so far nothing...

I've also been scouring eBay on a weekly basis a 2011 "small" came up last week with a starting bid of $5500 knowing that the medium, large and x-larges 2011's are going between $5800 to $6500 I offered the seller $6500 cash if he would sell it to me then.

He opted to let the aution run i put a bid in for $7300 thinking that nobody is gonna bid any higher...Ha! with 2 min. left one bidder came in and the bike was at $5950 i thought at 30 seconds in the flurry of bidders would start at 10 seconds left i thought was gonna win it for less than $6000 at 4 seconds left someone came in an out bid me in one swoop and the bike went for $7433 HOLY COW.

these small s works epic 29ers rarer than hens teeth so i'm left to getting in the first order for the 2013's and my dealer won't know any details till he gets back from the dealer camp in a month.

can't believe that the demand for small s works is that great or that specialized isn't making that many.
    I'm in this same boat and frustrated. I've been trying to buy a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon HT 26 in a size small but there is simply nothing out there. I firmly believe that there were not many made at all as they're fully committed to bigger wheels. I'm hoping I can even get one in 2013 - watching the web and even eBay for an S Works frame but smalls are tough to come by.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Epic and Stumpy HT will be exclusively 29 in 2013 according to a Specialized rep I met during the Bike Festival in Riva del Garda

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkinho View Post
    Epic and Stumpy HT will be exclusively 29 in 2013 according to a Specialized rep I met during the Bike Festival in Riva del Garda
    Hard to believe specialized would eliminate part of there market like that. Especially in what will most likely be the last model year for those frames, when production cost is at it's lowest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robglieden View Post
    watching the web and even eBay for an S Works frame but smalls are tough to come by.
    they have had a few small s works 29" stumpjumpers go through eBay since Feb. but only one small s works epic 29er that i've ever seen.

15" / 16.5" size frames are always a hard find even when my wife was riding 26" bikes thats why she went with MOOTS back in 05' because they had a frame that fit her. I got her a niner s.i.r. 9 to try out 29ers before we got her a MOOTS RSL 29er she loves the MOOTS but a demo ride on a S Works epic 29er has her wanting one of them too.

after talking to my local bike shop and specialized rep they just don't make that many smalls so it looks like we will order one once they start taking orders for 2013's and hope that we will be first in line to get one by the end of this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Last year my wife got one of 3 15.5" SJ S-works HT 26" frame sets that came into the USA. There were less than 5 complete bikes in that size.

This year she got a small 29" S-works SJ HT frame in the black/gold color. Order early and keep an eye on what comes into open stock. They don't always do the best job of filling the "pre-orders" like one would assume.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Believe it. Just ask any dealer who has a 26 inch Epic or Stump sitting on his floor. I am sure they are being asked "do you have that in a 29er" The 26 inch market has dried up as far as XC bikes is concerned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    They don't always do the best job of filling the "pre-orders" like one would assume.
    we have an agreement with our dealer to call me whenever they see a 29" small s works epic complete bike or frameset come up in specialized inventory or dealer list.

i understand that there is a limited market for small $10,000 bikes but come on'... only 5 entered the united states last year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Hard to believe specialized would eliminate part of there market like that. Especially in what will most likely be the last model year for those frames, when production cost is at it's lowest.
    In the UK that already happened a year earlier. The only Epic and Stumpjumper hardtail options available in the UK for 2012 bikes were 29ers:

Specialized Bicycle Components : Mountain
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Mountain

meow meow
    my lbs said they should be getting stumpy fsr's in june.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Any news on the Enduro Evo Expert for 2013? The 2012s are sold out (at least in my size)...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just got off the phone with my LBS that has 4 stores. None of them have any Enduro comps or Evo comps. They even checked the warehouse and they are super limited to nothing at all. Crazy, I can't believe that Specialized ran out of 2012's this quick. I wonder if this means they are bringing 2013's out earlier this year and if the Enduro's have changed there look? I remember just a few months ago this bike shop still had a couple of 2011 comps on the floor?? Oh well, just have to be patient and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm looking at getting a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012 but also thinking of the Boardman Comp. Anyone got ny suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by afp3 View Post
    I just got off the phone with my LBS that has 4 stores. None of them have any Enduro comps or Evo comps. They even checked the warehouse and they are super limited to nothing at all. Crazy, I can't believe that Specialized ran out of 2012's this quick. I wonder if this means they are bringing 2013's out earlier this year and if the Enduro's have changed there look? I remember just a few months ago this bike shop still had a couple of 2011 comps on the floor?? Oh well, just have to be patient and see what happens.
    I talked to a Marin dealer and they are in the same boat.

Mild winter, recovering economy equals more bikes sold than predicted.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Me my self ,want to buy the hardrock sport disc but after reading this I'm confused

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I talked to a Marin dealer and they are in the same boat.

Mild winter, recovering economy equals more bikes sold than predicted.
    Recovering economy... haha.

Its because of the mild winter: at this exact time last year it was still snowing in Mammoth and Lake Tahoe. Snows' basically long gone, none evident on mountainsides.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I purchased a 2013 rockhopper 29er yesterday. I tried several others but liked this one the best.I figured it would be a great beginner. I would post pic but i need to post 9 more times before the forum will let me. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

September

Hello

i think august-september

regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    Recovering economy... haha.

Its because of the mild winter: at this exact time last year it was still snowing in Mammoth and Lake Tahoe. Snows' basically long gone, none evident on mountainsides.
    You may not agree but we see it at our company. Sales are going back up. We're small and 2 years ago didn't have a sale at all.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    2013 P3 information can be found here 2013 Specialized P.3 Bikes with Custom Geometry - sspomer - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

2013 Demo 8 information can be found here Specialized Demo8 Carbon DH Mountain Bike Unveiled – Full Specs, Geometry & More! - Bike Rumor

I haven't seen much else online. The 2013 early release catologues are at most(all?) Spec shops by now. I've seen it myself at the LBS in town. I'm not sure why Spec hasn't released information online about those models yet, or why outside parties haven't leaked it either. From where I saw, they looked great!

insert blank disk
    On Friday I bought my wife the 2013 Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. This is a pretty sweet bike for the price. $625 otd.

2013 Specialized bike release dates?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1338865606.942197.jpg
    2013 Specialized bike release dates?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1338865636.911393.jpg

They also have the rockhoppers. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one for myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If anyone is able to post pictures of the 2013 Rockhoppers, or even direct me to a link for them, I'd be eternally grateful?

I've held off getting a nice bike until the refresh, was looking at a 2012 Rockhopper Comp last few weeks, but it's hard being patient, and I want to make sure the new models are actually an upgrade and check the colors out too!

Thanks

mtbr member
    I just rode a new 2013 Rockhopper and was throrougly dissappointed. They have downgraded so much on the bike. For the price, and if I was set on Specialized, I would go for the Hardrock. Same frame. So save money and build up your component specs yourself. I rode the Black on Black Rockhopper......nice looking bike, but that was it. By the way, I love the colors of the Hard Rock above!!! I might just have to get that one!!!

insert blank disk
    Here's a picture of the black rockhopper. It's matte black and gloss black. Looks sharp in person. I disappointed in the ride as well. They only had the $880 model in stock so I was hoping the higher end model would have a crisper feel.

2013 Specialized bike release dates?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1338905229.160846.jpg

I love the colors on my wife's bike.

insert blank disk
    I just rode a new 2013 Rockhopper and was throrougly dissappointed. They have downgraded so much on the bike. For the price, and if I was set on Specialized, I would go for the Hardrock. Same frame. So save money and build up your component specs yourself. I rode the Black on Black Rockhopper......nice looking bike, but that was it. By the way, I love the colors of the Hard Rock above!!! I might just have to get that one!!!
    Same frame? I thought the HR had the A1 and the RH had A4?!?! Also the RH has the tapered head tube.

mtbr member
    Really considering upgrading from my 2000 Rockhopper to a 2012 or '13 Hardrock 29er. Demo'd one the other day at the local shop and loved it. My buddy will give me $300 for my 2000 so it is tempting.... just need to decide if I should hold out for the 2013's....
    Too many bikes, just enough time.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Rockhopper has the A1 Premium Aluminum frame. The M4 is now only for the Carve and up. That was my HUGE dissappointment, besides all the other downgrades. Yes, the price dropped 60 bucks, but the I'd rather drop down 240 bucks more and go to the Hardrock for the same base frame.

insert blank disk
    The 2013 Rockhopper has the A1 Premium Aluminum frame. The M4 is now only for the Carve and up. That was my HUGE dissappointment, besides all the other downgrades. Yes, the price dropped 60 bucks, but the I'd rather drop down 240 bucks more and go to the Hardrock for the same base frame.
    That's disappointing, I didn't know that. So the only real big difference is the tapered head tube. You may be onto something with just going with the HR and upgrading components overtime.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    Same frame? I thought the HR had the A1 and the RH had A4?!?! Also the RH has the tapered head tube.
    HR has the A1 frame and straight HT
    RH has the M4 frame and straight HT
    Carve has M4SL frame and tapered HT

The above is true for 2012 models.

Sucks that the RH comes with A1 in 2013, can anyone confirm if it comes with a tapered HT? Atleast in that aspect, it would be an upgrade from 2012, but I'd rather keep the M4 alloy over the tapered HT...

Anyway, more and more reason to jump straight up to a Carve which looks mighty friggin fantastic in the 2013 comp trim level

mtbr member
    I confirm it. I have the technical sheet from the LBS for the 2013 Rockhopper 29 I just rode. It was exactly like the black on black model shown in a photo above. This is precisely why I am NOT getting a Rockhopper. Save money, go to the Hardrock and upgrade it to my liking. the Carve is nice, but for $1350, I can get a couple other bikes I feel are better.

insert blank disk
    Yup, the 2013 does have a tapered HT.

barely a mtbr
    Huh. Good timing on my warranty, then. Got the "only" frame in my size that they still had--that's what we were told, anyway. It's a RockHopper Pro frame in white, black, red, AND yellow and has the M4 logo on the rear triangle.

Looks like they are putting Dracos on them though. That is coincidentally what I am putting on mine.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    the Carve is nice, but for $1350, I can get a couple other bikes I feel are better.
    2013 Carve Comp has a better value than the 2012 IMO. Looks to be spec'd with the Recon Gold(found on the 2012's Pro model) and a 2x10 setup rather than the 3x9('12). Plus the color scheme on it is awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Expert and Pro models will be like. I'm hoping the Pro will come spec'd with a Reba and X9 components.

Sure, the Airborne Goblin is a better deal, but you can't test it out first and the frame isn't nearly as sexy.

mtbr member
    Do you have a photo of that 2013 Carve color scheme?? The forks and 2x10 make this intriguing.......

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Its in the early release catalogue at the Spec dealers already. I should have taken a pic while I was at the LBS last week, but didnt think about it. Maybe Friday I'll head back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what is part of the early release? are stumpy HT's?
    if not, does anyone know what changes to expect there... and when?
    thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As soon as anyone hears any news on the 2013 Epic and Stumpy HT 29ers please share. My dealer says that he thinks the Epic 29er will only get tweaks and component changes, not a frame re design. It would be good to know for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am looking for a peak into the future as well. There is a 2012 Epic Comp 29er at the LBS that I feel I must get before the 2013's hit. The 29er Epic and most others models, in all frame sizes, have disappeared from the distributors. I am guessing when all the dealers are at Salt Lake in July is when the Specialized web page and info about the upper models will make it around the web.

I want to know about any potential 2013 fork changes on the Epic bikes before I get the 2012.

I will most likely get the 2012 because if I do not I will not have a new bike until end of August at best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    down2ride - very jealous that you have yours already. We here in northern VA have to wait a few weeks for ours...and I bet we'll be paying nearly 700 otd for ours. womp womp

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slav View Post
    what is part of the early release? are stumpy HT's?
    if not, does anyone know what changes to expect there... and when?
    thx
    Highest model I saw on the early release catalogue was the Carve Comp

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    As soon as anyone hears any news on the 2013 Epic and Stumpy HT 29ers please share. My dealer says that he thinks the Epic 29er will only get tweaks and component changes, not a frame re design. It would be good to know for sure.
    there's an early release of the Epic Comp and Comp Carbon (both 29er) due out in July

the frames appear similar to the 2012 models...same price and relative builds, with the major changes being the Auto Sag shock (non-Kashima) and the Magura brakes

same goes for the Stumpy FSR Comp. as far as due date... Avid brakes on those

can't speak for the higher models on the food chain.. nothing released yet.

Epic Comp Carbon:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized bike release dates?-epic-comp-carbon.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks Moose for the update and the pic - new epic comp carbon looks fantastic.
    do you know anything about... or have a pic... of stumpy HT 29er comp carbon? thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice rig. So technically no big changes - who needs autosag?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    Some news
    Live n Ride: Get Ready! 2013 Specialized Epic 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like it. Looks like Burry and Christoph's Cape Epic Bikes with and auto-sag shock and alum. rear end. Kudos for going Magura brake wise and bringing the brain fork down to comp level. They will of course sell out of these by Dec...

mtbr member
    Looks like a shimano rear der on that bike.

mtbr member
    Good thing they ditched the Avid brakes for Magura's. They probably got tired of all the warranty claims for the Avid's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Looks like Burry and Christoph's Cape Epic Bikes with and auto-sag shock and alum. rear end.
    I think Burry´s & Susi´s alum. read end was more or less maximizing durability - like using Control tyres
    2012 Specialized Cape Epic - Video - Pinkbike

Here´mine broken chain stay... fortunately got it "upgraded" to factory one (raw carbon - no painting etc). A weight weenie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized bike release dates?-img_1626.jpg  

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast