mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 SJ Evo Comp 29er

First of all I just want to say that I love this bike. I came off a used European bike called an Orange Sub 5. It wasnt half the bike this is. Also I am pretty new to the MTB scene, I grew up racing Motocross, so the switch on to the pedals has been pretty smooth.

Now to the bike. I love the 29in wheels compared to the 26s. Even for going downhill, I think that the 26s are a joke. Im in love with the command post and the design of the frame, especially the top tube. The 29 doesnt quite have the flickable feeling the 26 does, and its a little harder to place the rear end at low speed, but in my opinion thats minor compared to the upsides.

Now for my dislikes.The brakes on this thing are a joke, I am looking to upgrade just looking for some suggestions before i pull the the trigger. Also the 140mm Rockshox are OK, butnot up to par if your looking for something to really hammer into the rough. And last but not least my front deraileur was out of adjustment after the first ride, that was upsetting.

Overall I am very pleased with the feel of this bike and its climbing capability. The confidence I have to clear the large rocks without feeling like Im about to go over the bars, and the feel of just a bigger bike. I wish I had the bank to just go for the Expert edition right off the bat, but im 20 years old struggling to make due.

Any suggestions on a better brake setup and a 34 fork that wont break the bank?

By the way, Im 180 lbs, 6'0, and im on a large frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    nice location, where is this?

mtbr member
    The brakes on this thing are a joke, I am looking to upgrade just looking for some suggestions before i pull the the trigger.
    If you've got the money hope brakes are nice. have them on four bikes at the house. Have one set that is five years old and no issues other than pads and fluid changes.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    nice location, where is this?
    Rocky Peak in Simi Valley, California

mtbr member
    XT Brakes rock
    X-Fusion Trace 29? 140mm 34mm stanchions

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have to agree with terrible, hope are by far the best brakes I've used. Im 200 without gear and they are excellent. Dont get the floating rotors however, mine developed play and was causing chattering on the trail when descending. I switched to the fixed rotors which are half the cost of floating rotors and haven't noticed a difference in performance. Hope brakes are super quite and have a kinda unique buzzing sound when hitting the binders. I prefer hopes over the XT because the XTs were just too grabby for my style. Im running the tech x2, 183mm front disc, 160mm back. 160mm in the back for me offers plenty of power and it doesnt lockup as fast as a bigger rotor thats my preference however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have you set your sag 25% front and back? It should ride great in the rough stuff, just play with your rebound & compression adjustments. It might take awhile before you have it perfect but its worth it.

If you do decide to upgrade the fork I would recommend running the rock shox for awhile until it needs serviced then upgrade. Just my opinion.

By the way ditch those reflectors on your wheels!