Burnt Orange Lives

2013 SID XX WC on 2012 Stumpjumper S-Works. Anyone done it?

i apologize if there was a discussion/pics on this subject. i just got this fork for my 29 S-Works and installed it, but was wondering if i need to change the OEM bottom headset bearing (campy style) or anything else.

compared to stock setup, there is a larger gap between the frame and the fork. if anyone has done this - please post your experience and if you had to use any other parts or modifications to reduce the gap between the frame and the crown.

thanks in advance...

Oggie
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just put one on my 2012 SJ Evo aluminum, and my friend put an o ring at the base to make the transition from the head tube to fork crown not quite as bad. Is that what you're talking about?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The o ring in question was indeed added by specialized and is cosmetic. When I needed one I called sram or rather the lbs did. Sram was nit exactly helpful. Specialized didn't seem to stock said o ring as a small part. However your local auto parts store might have the correct size in stock.

Burnt Orange Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytourist View Post
    I just put one on my 2012 SJ Evo aluminum, and my friend put an o ring at the base to make the transition from the head tube to fork crown not quite as bad. Is that what you're talking about?
    When you get a chance - can you get a close up pic of the o-ring please.

So you did not use any additional crown race - just installed the fork as is, with existing headset bearing?

Thanks
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll update this later with a picture, but, the SID World Cup has the metal part above the actual crown. It must be due to the carbon steerer, as my friends SID RCT3 with a carbon crown and aluminum steerer does not have this part. The factory crown race is required for installation. It's an awesome fork, I like mine a lot so far!

Burnt Orange Lives
    I'll update this later with a picture, but, the SID World Cup has the metal part above the actual crown. It must be due to the carbon steerer, as my friends SID RCT3 with a carbon crown and aluminum steerer does not have this part. The factory crown race is required for installation. It's an awesome fork, I like mine a lot so far!
    What factory crown race. I didn't have one. I used Specialized Reba Brain fork - with built in race, with campy style lower headset bearing 45x45 7mm only.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So you didn't use a crown race? You might want to go to your local shop and get the necessary part.
    Here is a close up shot of my fork installed:

Fork uninstalled, crown race sits at the bottom of the steerer (not installed for picture)

O ring gets put on the base to give an easier transition between that and the head tube.

Burnt Orange Lives

i see...

thanks for your help bro, i appreciate it...

no - i did not use any crown race - i do have a few in my spare parts bin, that should not be a problem... what are the specs on the o-ring so that i can get one as well.
    Does it help with dirt/gunk getting into the bearing?

So you didn't use a crown race? You might want to go to your local shop and get the necessary part.
    Here is a close up shot of my fork installed:

Fork uninstalled, crown race sits at the bottom of the steerer (not installed for picture)

O ring gets put on the base to give an easier transition between that and the head tube.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No worries. The O Ring is just there for looks, it doesn't serve any other purpose. I'm not sure what size o ring it is, my friend had a box of them and just found one that worked.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I understand that the 2013 SID XX WC forks come with a metal crown race already installed on the fork. Can anyone comment on that?

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    thanks for your help bro, i appreciate it...

no - i did not use any crown race - i do have a few in my spare parts bin, that should not be a problem... what are the specs on the o-ring so that i can get one as well.
    Does it help with dirt/gunk getting into the bearing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice bike!
    How much does this bike weigh and how about a few more pics.
    Pretty good at everything, but not really good at anything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnseltz View Post
    I understand that the 2013 SID XX WC forks come with a metal crown race already installed on the fork. Can anyone comment on that?
    As tonytourist showed with photos, the black ring is pre-installed. On top of that a silver aluminum expander ring is installed and this is the support for the bearing. It is tapered to match the underside taper of the bearing. Same as what goes on the top of the HT, just larger diameter.
    14 SW Epic WC fm arrived!
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4 lb
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -27
    11 SW Epic29 -22.1
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37