Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PanuV
    But that's very interesting question what is the best gearing for XCO or XCM races? 34, 36? ...Of course depending on venue... That Carbon-Ti X-Monoring what @MarcoL is running is a very fascinating option - with 35 teeth!
    The standard SRAM XX1 chainrings only come in even numbered chainring sizes because alternate teeth are shaped to mesh with the 11speed SRAM XX1 chain. Along with taller chainring teeth this is designed to keep the chain on the front chainring without using a chain guide when riding over bumpy ground.

The Carbon-Ti rings appear to be standard teeth so you might find that the chain will come off the front chainring more frequently with a non Sram XX1 chainring. A chain guide is more likely to be required with the Carbon-Ti rings which might cancel out any weight savings from them.

SRAM XX1: Component Development And Details - BikeRadar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    injured?
    When I crashed in August it turns out that I badly fractured my left femur (in the same place as several years previously also). To try and make it bond I had an operation to have an external fixator put on 20 December 2012. With luck the bone will heal but it's looking like it could be at least another 6 months off the bike before it's fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/247d4yfilg...3-12-2012.jpeg

RIDE...
    WR304,

Sorry to know you are injured, get well soon,
    regarding the Chainrings, I know that the carbon ti does not have the same configuration as the sram, but, they are much higher than the xx they replace, I am not very sure, but I think the extremely high tension on the RD spring keeps the chain in place.. not very sure, I have to field test.- that is the real thing, and I am not very sure...

Unfortunately I do not have a XX chainring in here to take a pic and compare...
    will take more pics with the chain installed

2013 S-Works Epic SRAM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356482430.520608.jpg
    2013 S-Works Epic SRAM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356482443.153901.jpg
    Last edited by MarcoL; 12-25-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: text incomplete

RIDE...
    it seems they are high, but not very sure if this is enough, have to field test, maybe tomorrow

2013 S-Works Epic SRAM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356483127.486146.jpg2013 S-Works Epic SRAM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356483136.437034.jpg2013 S-Works Epic SRAM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356483145.570369.jpg
    Last edited by MarcoL; 12-25-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: text input pictures taken with iphone

mtbr member
    From the Bikeradar article there's a list of manufacturers who currently offer Sram XX1 compatible freehubs here:

SRAM XD Driver Body

Probably the lightest hub option would be a Tune Kong XX1 rear hub which is supposed to be available in January 2013.

Tune XX1 hubs | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

Something like these Duke 29er carbon clincher wheels (claimed weight 1175g in 28 hole) would be lighter than the stock Roval wheels. That's with 300g carbon clincher rims. You could get down to 255g per rim but that would mean AX Lightness tubular rims instead of clinchers.

DUKE Lucky Jack 299/TUNE King Kong www.jpracingbike1.com

I think you'll just have to try the chainring and see what happens. You need to balance weight saving and reliability though. When a chain derails (especially on a race bike) it's very frustrating, particularly if it jams at the same time. The Sram XX1 chainring is supposed to keep the chain on better than a standard chainring but I've seen it mentioned that some riders still prefer a chain guide on top for added security.

"SRAM’s engineers used video capture to analyze how chains derailed from chainrings. They found one of the most common causes was side-to-side movement, which lead to the chain coming off the top off the chainring as if by shifting. The X-Sync tooth profile reduces side-to-side movement by “snugging up” the interface between the chainring and the chain’s outer plates.

The tooth profile of an XX1 chainring is also taller and wider than that of a chainring designed with shifting in mind. XX1 chainrings will be available in 28, 30, 32, 34, 36 and 38-tooth options. SRAM claims that with a properly-sized chain a rider should be able to go one size up or down from the chainring they are running without need to replace the chain."
    Bikeradar.com

SRAM XX1: Component Development And Details - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody else think that these duke lucky jack rims must be kind of fragile? and wobbly ?
    The claimed lucky jack 299 weight is 299grams, this is 86 grams lighter than enve clincher xc, somethign around 25% lighter, crazy and scary at the same time as enve is already very very light

mtbr member
    Duke isn't a company that I'm familiar with (do they make their own carbon parts or is it someone else's rim rebadged? ). I'd be interested to know.

According to this link the rims are made by Duke in France, possibly in association with Corima. Corima are a well respected manufacturer of carbon fibre rims so that would give me more confidence that the rims are likely to be good quality, rather than generic knock offs. At €594 euros ($789 USD) per rim the pricing is on the premium side.

Very light 700c/29r wheelset from Duke | RedBike

DUKE Lucky Jack 299 Carbon www.jpracingbike1.com

Apparently the Duke Lucky Jack 299 rims use high modulus carbon fibre and are supposed to weigh a maximum of 299g or less. In the link above the 29" carbon clincher rims weighed 290g each. Their wheels weighed 1132g with Extralite hubs (Extralite offer a 142x12mm rear hub but no Sram XX1 freehub option).

There's a rider weight limit of under 75kg (165lb approx) for the Duke Lucky Jack 299 rims and there's sure to be a fairly low maximum tyre pressure inflation limit also. That rider weight limit suggests they're likely to be fairly fragile, more suited to special occasions than everyday use.

When it comes to stiffness my guess would be that the 299g Duke rims would be acceptable. The carbon fibre material being a real game changer when compared to lightweight alloy MTB rims.

At a claimed weight of 385g for an Enve 29 XC rim Enve aren't really pushing the boundaries with the weights of their MTB rims. They have more of an emphasis on durability instead. The Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29" alloy rim for example has a claimed weight of 380g, lighter than a Enve 29 XC carbon rim. Although it weighs about the same as a typical carbon rim (Enve, Roval and Light-Bicycle 29" rims are all similar in weight to the ZTR Crest 29" rim) the ZTR Crest 29" rim is nowhere near as stiff as an equivalent weight carbon fibre rim. Even if the superlight 299g Duke carbon rim dropped to ZTR Crest 29" stiffness levels that would be useable as a race day wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    interesting, I did not know that there are so light alloy rims!! the enve rims are crazy durable, sometimes when I get a flat I still ride them down the hill, there is not even a scratch Are there lighter carbon wheels than enve? I only know ax-lightness but their rims are tubular and I would also question their durability...

RIDE...
    what do you think about this?

CarboCamber 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    interesting, are there any reviews? Also they do not say anything about rider weight limit and internal rim width

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    interesting, are there any reviews? Also they do not say anything about rider weight limit and internal rim width
    No I have not found any review....I would like those wheels with the hyper camber hub,

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    No I have not found any review....I would like those wheels with the hyper camber hub,

Epic rider
    According to a German forum, the Duke rims are made by WR Compositi, an Italian company which makes carbon bicycle parts.
    Have a look on the German mtb-news.de forum.
    The rims on the extralite wheelset look like the same rims (internal nipples and offset nipple holes).
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just read some threads in german mtb forums and in fact it seems that duke rims is the same as wr compositi rims and its the same as the extralite carbocamper rims, can someone else confirm?

I would not trust them normally, but if company like extralite is selling them under their brand name it means they must be pretty good

RIDE...
    1160 grams at 2044 euro, it seems that they do not offer the hyper camber hub option..

mtbr member
    The WR Compositi website itself has these wheels listed - claimed weight 1160g €1800 euros.

WR Compositi catalogo on-line

Are there any ride reviews or experiences with the rims on the mtb-news.de forum? I don't speak German unfortunately.

Epic rider
    Apparently Nino (who posted a lot on this forum at the ww section) has used the rims and is happy with them. He (surprisingly... :-) also sells wheel sets with the rims on his website.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I spoke with extralite about carbocamber wheelset and they said the wheelset was tested with up to 90kg rider, but the r2-biek website says the rider weight limit is 75kg with gear, confused

RIDE...
    According to r2 the wheel is done by the same factory ( is not the same rim ) and according to extralite they use different spokes, maybe that's why the weight limit.

mtbr member
    According to r2 the wheel is done by the same factory ( is not the same rim ) and according to extralite they use different spokes, maybe that's why the weight limit.
    Looking at the r2-bike.de site they have a few claimed sub 300g 29" carbon clincher rims listed. Are the BOR, Duke and Extralite rims all from the same place? They have an asymmetric profile in common.

Clincher (Faltreifen): BOR Felge 29" XCD 255 Carbonfelge ab 285g

Talking about light rims, did you see the Rigida Ryde rim 29 "EDGE MC-1 320g listed there? That's a light alloy rim. The 2012 Roval Comtol 29 alloy rims that came with my Epic are close to 200g more per rim

Ryde Felge 29" EDGE MC-1 320g, 87,50 €

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Looking at the r2-bike.de site they have a few claimed sub 300g 29" carbon clincher rims listed. Are the BOR, Duke and Extralite rims all from the same place? They have an asymmetric profile in common.

Clincher (Faltreifen): BOR Felge 29" XCD 255 Carbonfelge ab 285g

Talking about light rims, did you see the Rigida Ryde rim 29 "EDGE MC-1 320g listed there? That's a light alloy rim. The 2012 Roval Comtol 29 alloy rims that came with my Epic are close to 200g more per rim

Ryde Felge 29" EDGE MC-1 320g, 87,50 €

Back on planet earth, I'm keen to try out the Crossmax 29 SLR. At 1620 with an alloy rim, that looks to be a good bet for an all-round wheel. I've got Mavic wheels on family bikes, but would happily own another set.

RIDE...
    How much does the roval carbon weight ?
    I preffer a lightweight carbon rim than a lightweight aluminum rim at the same weight,
    It is not very easy to decide which one is best, since if you broke the wheel you will broke some bones

Which one do you think is best? The one on /r2 or the extralite?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How much strong is carbon rim vs alloy?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

old fart
    Mar 2010
    How much does the roval carbon weight ?
    I preffer a lightweight carbon rim than a lightweight aluminum rim at the same weight,
    It is not very easy to decide which one is best, since if you broke the wheel you will broke some bones

Which one do you think is best? The one on /r2 or the extralite?
    My 2011 SL 29 wheels weight 1440gms. I am 93kgs and have over 3,500kms on them without any problems. Broke 2 spokes through chain drop and the rims lasted 2 weeks of riding before I got back to town. Other than that, the spokes do need regular tightening on the rear wheel, but I couldn't be happier with the wheels.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    How much strong is carbon rim vs alloy?
    for quality alloy vs quality carbon, the carbon will be stronger in every dimension. As durable? Probably not.

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    My 2011 SL 29 wheels weight 1440gms. I am 93kgs and have over 3,500kms on them without any problems. Broke 2 spokes through chain drop and the rims lasted 2 weeks of riding before I got back to town. Other than that, the spokes do need regular tightening on the rear wheel, but I couldn't be happier with the wheels.
    Sorry, I was asking for the rim only, i also have the Rovals, good wheels!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast